Sand Scoop Question

DanU

Greenie
Dec 15, 2021
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
I am a Newbie and as I wait for the new Deus to arrive, I have been studying the manual, posts and videos, trying to learn as much as possible, and selecting my accessories/tools. Since I live along the Florida Coast, I plan to do a lot of beach detecting. A good Sand Scoop is near the top of the list. Currently I am considering a CKG large (8 x 11) scoop with 2 piece carbon fiber handles and the lower handle. I am guessing the large scoop would be a better choice than the smaller scoop. I am wanting a quality scoop that will be efficient for my area beaches and one that breaks down and can strap onto my motorcycle. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions or suggestions.

Attachments

• CKG Large Scoop.jpg
    CKG Large Scoop.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 2

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one from this guy. The pices are great and its holding up quite well.
(deleted by mod, can't post links to non-supporting vendors)

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another suggestion, buy your scoop from a local store so you can try the scoop first and exchange it on the spot if you need to. There were retailers in Sunrise, Fl and Fort Lauderdale or Miami a couple years back. I have sent several back and had to pay postage. I have no close buy retailers. I found the angle of the handle to the scoop top(how far you want to reach forward when setting the scoop), height inside the scoop (where you reach in) and the back of the scoop angle (some angles are awkjward for your foot or so smooth your foot slides off under pressure and you bark your ankle)all can make the job easier or hard. Have fun, part of the adventure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Newbie and as I wait for the new Deus to arrive, I have been studying the manual, posts and videos, trying to learn as much as possible, and selecting my accessories/tools. Since I live along the Florida Coast, I plan to do a lot of beach detecting. A good Sand Scoop is near the top of the list. Currently I am considering a CKG large (8 x 11) scoop with 2 piece carbon fiber handles and the lower handle. I am guessing the large scoop would be a better choice than the smaller scoop. I am wanting a quality scoop that will be efficient for my area beaches and one that breaks down and can strap onto my motorcycle. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions or suggestions.
If you're just going to use it in the dry sand, It will work as good as most. If you're going into the wet sand or water, It's not built good enough for long term use IMO. You need to have more bracing and gusseting to keep the corners from breaking and other areas from caving in. I can't tell what size the holes are, but, you want them just a bit smaller than a dime for easier sifting, especially if you're at a beach with coarse sand. If you want the best regardless of price, check out the Sunspot and Xtreme scoops. Other more modestly price scoops that are decent, but, not in the same league include some by Stavr and RTG.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet or dry sand these will move sand faster and easier than Any scoop out there.The trick is to throw each shovel full out in such a fashion that the sand is spread out an inch or so deep.Then run your 4 fingers( like a rake pattern) and/or M.D. over it :)
002.JPG
:)

OP
OP
DanU

DanU

Greenie
Dec 15, 2021
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Thank you for the replies. Gives me some more insight. I have one retail store near me but they only have one scoop and if I recall correctly, it was the CKG. I do like the idea of being able to handle a few different ones to get an idea how they would handle. I do plan on working the water along the beach and taking the boat to some sandbars where the locals congregate. I would be foolish I think not to consider strength. I have looked at the Xtremes and would love to have the Titanium with the Carbon Fiber Handles but realistically, that is out of the budget for now. Even the stainless ones would require me to wait a bit before I could purchase. Maybe I will get lucky and find a used unit to get me by until I am ready for an Xtreme.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the replies. Gives me some more insight. I have one retail store near me but they only have one scoop and if I recall correctly, it was the CKG. I do like the idea of being able to handle a few different ones to get an idea how they would handle. I do plan on working the water along the beach and taking the boat to some sandbars where the locals congregate. I would be foolish I think not to consider strength. I have looked at the Xtremes and would love to have the Titanium with the Carbon Fiber Handles but realistically, that is out of the budget for now. Even the stainless ones would require me to wait a bit before I could purchase. Maybe I will get lucky and find a used unit to get me by until I am ready for an Xtreme.
That’s a good plan. Everyone goes through this and it will work itself out. If you start with a shovel and talk to others who have scoops you like you can get a good idea on things. The great thing is you have the Deus to learn! That is the way to go, it is a process. Have fun, regards.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Dune Kraken Sandscoop on Amazon for $90.00 and paired it with a Carbon Fiber handle from CKG $67.00 LOVE my new scoop.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how far are you from Reilys Ttreasure in Pompano fl.?
they have a huge variety of scoops - lots of long handles
I been using theirs for yrs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2
i wrote an article on scoops here - its older but may help you what not to get
also many articles that may be of help to you ...many may inspire you - double click each pg for easier reading

OP
OP
DanU

DanU

Greenie
Dec 15, 2021
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
how far are you from Reilys Ttreasure in Pompano fl.?
About 100 miles south of me. Some interesting scoops. If I can swing the time, I may take the trip.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2
i wrote an article on scoops here - its older but may help you what not to get
also many articles that may be of help to you ...many may inspire you - double click each pg for easier reading
Thanks. I am reading everything I can get my hands on!

Hoping this summer to get up your way to do a little swinging. I spent 14 years on the SouthCoast in MA.

REDOC

Greenie
Jul 31, 2014
CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 /GPX 4500 /Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer & Carrot / Ace 250 & 350 / 6000 Di Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TREX is the monster with welds you will pay for. Just saw this post and looking for a quality one but lil lower in price. But if I was in wet sand and on the beach everyday no doubt that would be the one.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across your post. Just In case you haven't already, and still looking, it's a short ride down to Treasure Coast Metal Detectors in Stuart. Check them out online or call and talk to Garry Mueller.

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TREX is the monster with welds you will pay for. Just saw this post and looking for a quality one but lil lower in price. But if I was in wet sand and on the beach everyday no doubt that would be the one.
Agree, love my Trex. It is a beast. Had mine 6 years and never an issue. Hunt mostly freshwater lake and some sand. Strong enough to handle rocky bottoms and sifts great through the sand. Haven’t tried the other popular ones and likely never will.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I've been hunting our Florida beaches for more than a few years and can tell you that at some point you'll want to get in the wet sand and surf as well as the dry. That being the case get the best scoop that fits your budget. I highly recommend the Sunspot or Xtreme scoops with a carbon fiber handle. Pricey? Yes, but you'll buy it once and it will last a lifetime.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet or dry sand these will move sand faster and easier than Any scoop out there.The trick is to throw each shovel full out in such a fashion that the sand is spread out an inch or so deep.Then run your 4 fingers( like a rake pattern) and/or M.D. over it :) View attachment 1999349 :)
lol ... heh

Um.... no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions