Sand Shark - Issues and thoughts?

Nov 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long time lurker, not much posting...

I'm detecting the Gulf Coast of Florida (usually in Virginia Beach VA) and have never had issues with my detector until a few days ago, my detector has started falsing at the right end of my swing and when I "wiggle" to see if a signal is real or not. I really love the machine, but now it's got a very inconsistent threshold and many false signals after about 25 mins of swinging. Prior to the false signals I hunted in VCO (I like it better) but learned the machine on normal. Currently Normal is not much better.

I put fresh batteries in it and have inspected it closely for any damaged cables or cracked coil and haven't found anything of note.

Since Tesoro is gone, are there any options for replacement coils or parts? I've got the 10.5" coil (it was the only one available when I got it) and wouldn't mind changing it if it's the problem, but what parts are compatible?

If I can figure out the falsing I'll keep swinging... even tough I'm still making finds I can't help but think that I'm missing the good stuff because I can't get a solid signal.

The amount of trash on this beach is appalling, and my Excal would have been a better choice. I'm travelling for work and didn't get the option to bring both...

Thanks everyone!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a pinpoint leak in the coil. After letting the coil dry for a week or two, you can dip or spray the entire coil and lead wire in silicone. Or, you can rid yourself of that dinosaur and get a multi-frequency machine. :skullflag:

OP
OP
E
Nov 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I?ve got an Excal, but have hunted here with it before and wanted to try PI. Do you have a product suggestion? I had thought to use marine epoxy to seal the whole coil (thinking that water was getting in as well) but am open to other suggestions?

If there?s a replacement coil I?d also consider that, but I really like this machine!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread