Saved a baby Owl tonight.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I just wanted to share my story of my great save tonight. I was driving down the the road and saw this pretty owl in the middle of it. I thought it was a hit baby rabbit and then said "damn an owl". I pulled over and grabbed her in the nick of time, she would have been run over and killed with on of the next few cars. She didnt fuss when I grabbed her and she did spread her wings, about a 2 ft wingspan. I called my cop friend and he gave me a 24 hour hotline to call. They said its best to take it home and bring it to the rehab place tomorrow, they will be glad to take her and release her back into the wild. She is resting now in a big dog crate with soft blankets. I know this post will get moved but had to share my story.
Marty

Attachments

• 20130324_195836hg.jpeg
    20130324_195836hg.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 31

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
That is awesome! I love hearing stories like this. After all Owls are God's creatures as well. Awesome picture too! You did a good thing and Karma always comes back to you!

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are so beautiful Animals! So glad you didnt Run it over! Karma will pay you back! ;)

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Marty well done..........................HH

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should get Honorable Mention here for such a kind and upstanding act of compassion. Thank you for what you did! It's good to know there are folks like you out there Marty!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all seriousness it looks like you saved an Eastern Screech Owl.

Well done Marty.:thumbsup:

Ditto that. I hit one with my truck 15 years ago. Killed it unfortuately. Nice save.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save.I once caught a big ole barn owl it was hurt but still could get off the ground a few feet and fly.It was a moonlight night and people passing by probably thought I was high on something jumping and diving in the weeds.well i caught it and rapped my jacket around it.This thing was pissed off bad.Got in my truck,it was a straight shift.changing gears while holding on to this bad boy was no easy task.Next morning I took him to a place that takes care of animals. After a few weeks they released it.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Glad you saved the little guy! We have good wildlife rehab place here that ends up with some sea creatures as well as land animals. Granthansen, your getting the baby raccoon away from the road was probably best thing for it as Mama may have been nearby and rejoined the infant. Not surprised that people advised you to stay away from baby raccoon as they can carry rabies and would probably bite if scared. My hat's off to both you guys! :notworthy: Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread