pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don' t just carry my side arm when I detect I carry it with me all of the time. Also kudos to you for not feeling the need to carry a firearm to protect yourself. It's not paranoid and does'nt give anybody a bad image. I am a responsible gun owner and a responsible concealed fire arm carrier. But by all means you keep up with your image as for me I chose to protect myself. But thanks for your opinion.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
You wear a seat belt when you drive I hope. You never know when someone might jump up on you. The lead is a preventive situation metal. Saftey first.

sent from a sending device.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually snake killing stories get heated.

I don't kill snakes unless they are giving me problems such as when you go fishing and moccasins are eating your stringer of fish, climbing in your boat or dropping from tree limbs. Likewise, I don't embrace them, but I don't freak out because I expect to see them in the wild. I am walking up on them and they are the ones that are there already.

If I have a poisonous one crawl into my house, then it would be killed and the hole closed, but if I have a non-p one (king snake) come into my house I will take it out and then close the hole to prevent it from happening again.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually snake killing stories get heated.

I don't kill snakes unless they are giving me problems such as when you go fishing and moccasins are eating your stringer of fish, climbing in your boat or dropping from tree limbs. Likewise, I don't embrace them, but I don't freak out because I expect to see them in the wild. I am walking up on them and they are the ones that are there already.

If I have a poisonous one crawl into my house, then it would be killed and the hole closed, but if I have a non-p one (king snake) come into my house I will take it out and then close the hole to prevent it from happening again.

I only kill snakes when I have no other option..

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, this post has made me uneasy. TOO MANY snake pictures.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "whiny liberal" (childish remark, by the way) is 6'3" and weighs 200 lbs., so that's why I don't feel the need to carry a gun. Anything that messes with me (short of a black bear) will regret it.

Sorry, but we're going to have to disagree on this one.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My original comment was about the senseless killing of the snake. He could have killed it with a stick and I would have commented on it as well. Don't turn it into a "gun rights" issue here. Killing something just because it "scares" you is unacceptable to most people in this world.

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really want to get in the middle of this, just want to say that you can tell a venomous snake from a non-venomous snake by the pupils. Round pupils = non-venomous. Cat like pupils = venomous. A lot of common water snakes are killed because their pattern resembles a copperhead. Just a little useful knowledge for my fellow detectorists!

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I do want to get in the middle of this.

I usually pass over such posts, but "the carrying while detecting is ridiculous and paranoid" made me think.

Our forefathers thought a few amendments were important enough to write down as a "guide" for a governed body of people to follow.
(FreebirdTim) You have the right of free speech to say it's ridiculous and paranoid, I have the "legal" right to carry a gun on my person without ridicule or cause.

In the early 1800's most carried weapons when they left the house, food, protection, it was a part of everyday life.
Somewhere along the line it's believed we became civilized. The only problem with that is in two hundred years only about sixty percent of us became civil, leaving forty percent uncivilized to prey on those that are seen as weaker than them.

I do not live in "mayberry", not everyone or everything gets along. You may protect yourself from placing yourself in such places or circumstances but we all can not. I'm also a larger man and very few things in life intimidate me. (Once while detecting a momma bear with a single cub got me riled up a little bit.) I did not draw my 1911 and drop her in her tracks because I was "scared", I backed away slowly and removed myself as a threat.

I can't even tell you when the last time was I killed a snake and I've had many encounters. In my youth I think I bashed a few with rocks though.

I will not try to change your ideals or place my ideals upon you. Fire and stone tipped spears were used to protect people from things that went bump in the night, as we advanced as a culture we invented guns to protect us from things that go bump in the night, the occasional snake goes bump in the night.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My original comment was about the senseless killing of the snake. He could have killed it with a stick and I would have commented on it as well. Don't turn it into a "gun rights" issue here. Killing something just because it "scares" you is unacceptable to most people in this world.
If your original comment was simply about the snake killing, why did you have to throw in the insult? Carrying a gun, at any time, is not "ridiculous and paranoid" behavior. You initiated the bad feeling by insulting another member.
Jim

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice save on the snake... and the coins! GL&HH.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just so y'all know...
I don't kill snakes, I love wildlife... of MANY sorts...
BUT I will kill scorpions! Or poisonous spiders...

Same here, but if they are on my property or in my house, I will strike with majestic heavenly force, for at that point they become VERMIN. I dont need my grandkids coming over and getting bit by something. When I am out in the woods, or fishing, I regard all of these critters as a natural part of the world.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't handle snakes whether they are dead or alive. My brother had left his old car at my house and my dog and I had been walking and I saw the largest rattlesnake I had ever seen. My black lab at the time wanted to go play with this almost 7 foot long rattlesnake and he was huge and had almost certainly swallowed a rabbit because there was a large bulge between his neck and stomach. I didn't have my dog on a leash at the time and took my belt off and used it to hold him back until I put him in his pen. Went back to the old car and the snake was laying there in the sun and letting his food slide down his gullet. I started to shoot him with the small caliber revolver I carry, but was afraid that would make him mad. So, I went into the house and got the 12 gauge and shot him right behind the head. His head was as big as my hand and I wish I had a camera at the time to take a photo. I do carry a concealed weapon for last 15 years and nobody knows this and never sees it. If I need it, it's there. If not, it stays inside it's holster. I did see a rattlesnake at the river where I go into the water the other day and he or she went one way and I went the other. If they are in the yard around my dogs and especially if they are bigger than I am, they have to go. No ego or paranoia involved, just keeping my pets and myself safe.
Mama is blind and if I see a poisonous snake at her trailer, bye bye snake.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as far as carrying a gun while you detect, that's just ridiculous and paranoid. It's also very harmful to the image people have of all detectorists out there.

The quotes above are from two different posts.

I misunderstood then. So, carrying a stick is just ridiculous and paranoid.and is very harmful to the image people have of all detectorists out there?

I'm confused!

If I see that snake I will beat it with a stick,rock,stomp on it,cut it's head off with a shovel, or shoot the thing! If it's in the wrong place and I'm "scared" of it! Sry, not a snake lover! Not, ashamed of it either. I wouldn't go hunt it down. If it's too close? I'm not hanging out to find out if it's a threat or not! It's a snake! To me no different than a rat or mouse that most people set traps out for! Oh...I kill lots of spiders too!Just killed four scorpions in the house this morning. I'll kill all those too.lol The scorpions are harmless too, but I don't like them hanging out in the house! Like mentioned in an earlier post, we also get black racers. They chase the cats and will chase humans too. I had one here, I took it back to the woods, Now the next time the thing is hanging outside the door striking and chasing us or the animals close to the house? It's getting it too. lol

If they are that harmless? Why is every one that hikes,detects in the woods,camps,prospects,and even some jobs, Reminded to make sure they have snake bite kits? Or snake chaps and boots?

Just because your 6'3" and 200 lbs, doesn't mean everything short of a black bear will not mess with you? Snakes and other smaller animals will mess with anything.

Anyhow, I could care less, You are the person that brought up the gun issue, then say not to make it a gun issue? lol Just something to talk about! lol I still hate snakes! I'm not ashamed of killing them in certain circumstances,(with a stick or gun) I'm also not ashamed to carry a gun. I don't most of the time. But if I do? Not ashamed of it, and I don't look down or fear anyone who does!

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was gonna ask if you killed the snake & if so Why?.
When I was a per-teen I used to kill things for the heck of it.
but
Everything has it's place in nature .
Around the house I will try to relocate any unwanted Critters , as MBottles said Killing is my last Resort.
I DO kill ALL Roaches , Mosquitoes , Ticks & Fleas tho. They Reproduce Quickly.
Never Seen a Rattle Snake in the Wild , likely cause most in my area have been killed.
Davers

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but
Around the house I will try to relocate any unwanted Critters , as MBottles said Killing is my last Resort.
Never Seen a Rattle Snake in the Wild , likely cause most in my area have been killed.
Davers

Not sure how far you are from where I'm at. There is a pine woods behind the house. The owner claims they have found 6 ft rattle snakes in there when I went for permission to detect it. He told me to be very careful. I have not seen one of them! I have them on a piece of land in alabama, Only saw one,and it went the other way. Normally they do go the other way. In Ohio they reintroduced the timber rattlers in the wild a few years back. I ran all over many different places and never saw one.

As a kid I worked for a couple of farmers, The big snakes that hang out in barns, I hated! They liked them because they ate the rats and mice. BIG Snakes! lol I hated running into those things. Some were black with white. and some were a grayish brown color. They would also get wound up in the hay bails occasionally from the bailer. Yuck! lol

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but

Thank you for that rational post. I also killed WAY too many snakes, spiders and other critters when I was a kid. But I've spent the last 40 years trying to make amends for those senseless killings. I developed a conscience and saw the error of my ways.

I come here to see all the great coins and relics people find and post here with pride. There's no need for anyone to post road kills, dead animals or anything else that has NOTHING to do with treasure hunting. Let's keep it on topic so we don't continue to have endless discussions about why you kill things and why you feel the need to go through life with a gun strapped to your hip.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that rational post. I also killed WAY too many snakes, spiders and other critters when I was a kid. But I've spent the last 40 years trying to make amends for those senseless killings. I developed a conscience and saw the error of my ways.

I come here to see all the great coins and relics people find and post here with pride. There's no need for anyone to post road kills, dead animals or anything else that has NOTHING to do with treasure hunting. Let's keep it on topic so we don't continue to have endless discussions about why you kill things and why you feel the need to go through life with a gun strapped to your hip.

LOL hahaha! So, why keep instigating?

Very common and predictable of someone with certain Ideals.

You put someone down for their choice, now that people disagree, everyone is off topic and having endless discussions? Then in the same post you still want to make it sound silly and continue to put people down? Looking for a reaction, you say has NOTHING to do with treasure hunting? Your correct! Reread the thread and see where the first non subject post came from!

Last edited:

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a banded water snake. Harmless, but stinky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions