OP
Kalvin

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crickets. :)

I found a schematic of the Tesoro Cibla -Vaquero online. It uses a 28 pin PIC (same PIC as the Golden) and I'm guessing it will give me a few clues.

Well searching around I found a few good photos of the Silver uMax PC board and the Golden uMax board. Anyone else notice how similar these 2 PC boards are? The Silver has a lot of pads locations not filled. These same locations are filled in on the Golden. I'm wondering if I could make a Golden from a Silver? Except I would need Golden version of the PIC.

OP
OP
Kalvin

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I now have a uMax Golden.

Any of you try to read the code out of the PIC? I'm thinking if I can get the HEX I could figure out how to make my own tone groups. A little hesitant pulling my new toy apart, but it might have to be done. ;)

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I now have a uMax Golden.

Any of you try to read the code out of the PIC? I'm thinking if I can get the HEX I could figure out how to make my own tone groups. A little hesitant pulling my new toy apart, but it might have to be done. ;)
if I remember correctly the PIC is one of the hardest MCU to hack because there is built in "protection function" that disable further reading or writing, this protection is irreversible... hope Tesoro does not lock the ones on those detectors.

OP
OP
Kalvin

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I remember correctly the PIC is one of the hardest MCU to hack because there is built in "protection function" that disable further reading or writing, this protection is irreversible... hope Tesoro does not lock the ones on those detectors.

Sorry for the slow reply giuhalftrack.

You never know....sometimes you get lucky and they have not protected the code. :) It would be great to talk to the team that actually built this unit. But I think finding them would be almost impossible.

Metal detecting season again and out playing. Still love my Golden Umax. I would love to clone this mother board. I would then replace the four POT's and 2 switches on the control panel with a connection straight to an Arduino.

I could then write my own algorithms to mimic what I do manually when I am out searching. The Arduino code could go thru my style of ID'ing a target.

I see this unit as the perfect front end to metal detecting. The user could add his own back processing to suit them.
With only the one machine I am scared to mess with it and try to reverse engineer it. They are too hard to come by.

Anyone want to donate (I would even pay for some parts machines) me a few machines? Working or not.

All the best to everyone and good luck out there. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread