Science Rules! An Important find on Cocoa Beach

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
This week I've been down in Florida visiting family in the Cocoa Beach/Melbourne Beach area. Now of course I had to bring a detector with me. Being on the Treasure Coast where you're not allowed to detect in the water, I brought my Deus to hit the sand. After about 4 hours of clad and bottle caps on Cocoa Beach, I was just about to call it quits. As I was walking from the surf line back up towards my rental unit I got a large high tone. I figured it was a copper or brass fishing lure because of its size and shape. Boy was I surprised when my scoop uncovered what at first appeared to be a mini rocket propelled grenade. After all, I was very close to a military base. Fortunately, it wasn't dangerous. But it was pretty cool! The object had a printed message on it with the instructions to contact the Georgia Aquarium if found. Once I read the message, I knew that I had found a satellite tracking tag. I sent an email to the address on the tag and a few hours later received the following response:

"Hi Jason,Thank you for contacting me regarding the satellite tag that you found on Cocoa Beach. The tag is an important part of an ongoing annual study to determine migratory routes of manta rays in NE Florida. The tag that you’ve found contains valuable information regarding the route that the manta took after the tag was applied almost a year ago to the day!!! I’d really like to get the tag back and attempt to retrieve any data that may still be stored on the tag. Would it be possible for me to send you a postage pre-paid package to enclose the tag in and send it to me for analysis? I’ll send you a small token of my appreciation and be happy to share any data that I pull from the tag with you. If so, would you please send me your mailing address for where I can send the package? I am very grateful that you contacted me and hope that you would be amenable to returning it to me.

Thanks in advance,
Harry
Harry ****
Project Coordinator, Research and Conservation
Georgia Aquarium "

I shipped it back to him Priorty Mail yesterday and he should have it tomorrow. It's a fantastic honor to be able to contribute to the science knowledge of such an incredible species.

These tags are very cool as well. Made by Desert Star Systems, this model had a temperature gauge, magnometer, and ARGOS GPS. They retail for $1350 each. I'd rather find stuff like this than run of the mill gold jewelry any day.

Science Rules!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm suggesting this as an honorable mention buddy. Cheers

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find and the right thing sending it in. Once in a lifetime find, but i bet you expected something different than that! :laughing7:
HM vote from me too! :occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool . Looking foward to a follow up post about what they send you and the info you get on the manta rays travels

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extra cool find...Congrats.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this should receive an honorable mention status. great find, and great return!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I didn't even think that, but you're right... absolutely an honorable mention. Not to mention, it sounds like oxbow shipped it back without waiting for a pre-paid package :thumbsup: Probable faster mail from FL to GA instead of from back home to GA. ha Great job again man.

You're right, I didn't wait for the prepaid, I sent it the next day. I didn't want to bring it on the plane, or have to wait until I got home to send it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments everyone.

You're right, I didn't wait for the prepaid, I sent it the next day. I didn't want to bring it on the plane, or have to wait until I got home to send it.

I woulda done the same thing man. $10 shipping out of pocket is nothing compared to the data that scientist is waiting for from that thing hitchhiking on a manta ray for a year. Totally honorable mention... already voted :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread