Scoop Repair / Modification ?

FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had asked a question about which scoop was the preferred and the results seems to be the stealth brand. While I was asking the question which was best it seems I had won an Indiana Style scoop on Fee Bay. I took it out to practice this week end at a place called Vilano Beach ( its a different make up than where I normally go). It is a few inches of sand over a broken shell filler. This scoop really cuts through the soft sand but seems to bog in the shell filler. So here lies the problem I wear diving shoes on the beach, and would tap it with my foot to get the scoop to penetrate the shells.

I said all that to say this I bent the back of the scoop I bowed it in from my foot tapping it. It still worked and I finished the weekend, got home and used a few pieces of wood to straighten it out For the most part it looks okay. As I recall from my metal shop class back in 8th grade once you start bending this stuff (stainless steel) it becomes more susceptible to that type of damage. I have seen a few different pictures of scoops with a "kick Plate" that was bolted on the wooden handle but I don't see a brand. Can any one tell me where to order such a thing or will I need to reverse engineer one.

Was watching the OBN Video's his seems to go right in with minimal effort. Might be the make up of the beach, or is it the scoop. This scoop is about 8 inches wide, and to be honest with a full load of wet sand/shells it takes all I got just to lift the thing to dump it out.

Thanks for reading .

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a DIY video on kick plates. Either here or YouTube. I would if your hot to trot you can search for it. Sorry I don't have more to add, I have a solid aluminum RTG and that problem doesn't exist. Buy once, cry once... Good luck, should be an easy solution, Im thinking a welder and your good to go.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stealth scoops .. chuck can help you out, he does mods to scoops. And yes the youtube vid is diablo in soft ocean sand... much different then the oyster shells, shells, and pebbles. Which I hate also but SS will work it's way in. Or I might suggest taking it to a welding shop locally, I'm sure they can put a Spaced brace across the back, I will look around for a few examples....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN0341.jpg OBN0340.jpg OBN0339.jpg

Top Member Reactions