Scout camp Gettysburg medal, round ball and neckerchief slides - ring from the park

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected most of the campsites pretty hard at the scout camp so this time I decided to try some of the activity areas. Stuff still gets lost, but not in the quantity that is lost on the sites. I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 checking out a couple of places. All together I found 94 coins with a face value of $9.72, 35 camp tent pegs, 2 copper clad bullets, 3 Boy Scout neckerchief slides, a square brass nut, a Scout Gettysburg medal, a round ball, a watch, more blank rifle cartridges, a few tabs and assorted trash.

A06D0088-1E07-4F31-A8AE-CFFA3C67029C.jpeg

The Gettysburg medal is missing the ribbon. It is an older version of the medal and has been redesigned. The round ball is a .69 caliber. This is a size used in the civil war. I found it close to the area where I found the large cent and the flat buttons several years ago so it could be from the old farm. It was in considerably deeper than most of the finds here at camp. But it is also possible a scout bought the round ball as a souvenir at a civil war site and lost it at camp. We will never know for sure.

97459440-0348-4994-AF99-CAC953602D1B.jpeg
9318D11E-8187-4F13-98CA-FCFEB77B93B8.jpeg
63F57AE0-D389-4C73-8646-4CE119F3EE57.jpeg

The blanks are similar to others found throughout camp. They are believed to be from reenactors who came to camp about 15 years ago. The cartridge headstamps are LC 68, Lake City Arsenal 1968 and IVI 76, Industries Valcartier Inc. Quebec Canada 1976.

52E4C472-2BB5-4DE2-882F-CD42E767710F.jpeg

I went to a park where I usually detect the water. There is not a huge amount of use to this park other than the beach and water, but there are volleyball courts, picnic tables and 2 tot lots. This trip I just did the land which I haven’t done here for several years. There were not as many signals as I thought there would be. I did see some signs that someone else had detected here. They did not stamp down their plugs very well. I wandered around checking on some of the more likely spots hoping for the best.

I spent 6 hours swingin and managed to find 111 coins with a face value of $5.89, a tire balance weight, 2 house keys, a ring, a door lock cylinder, one fishing sinker, some junk and a nice pile of can tabs.

D1E26063-4709-4EC2-879E-D4DE6A76AEF9.jpeg

The ring is only a tungsten one but it looks nice and it was the star of the hunt. It looks like one I found on line that is sold at Kohl’s for $75 on sale for $30. Not a great find, but a nice ring non the less. I have found a number of tungsten rings in the past, but all of them have come out of the water. I am pretty sure this is the first one I have recovered on land.

CA1CDBC0-8C4D-4091-9F6B-916EA8D55077.jpeg

So a couple more good hunts, gas money, fun finds and fresh air exercise. Life is still good. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 12

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds once again TNT, love the Boy Scout neckerchief slides and the Gettysburg medal. :hello2:
Dave

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That medal is really cool! I love finding stuff like that! Congrats!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected most of the campsites pretty hard at the scout camp so this time I decided to try some of the activity areas. Stuff still gets lost, but not in the quantity that is lost on the sites. I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 checking out a couple of places. All together I found 94 coins with a face value of $9.72, 35 camp tent pegs, 2 copper clad bullets, 3 Boy Scout neckerchief slides, a square brass nut, a Scout Gettysburg medal, a round ball, a watch, more blank rifle cartridges, a few tabs and assorted trash.

View attachment 1984479

The Gettysburg medal is missing the ribbon. It is an older version of the medal and has been redesigned. The round ball is a .69 caliber. This is a size used in the civil war. I found it close to the area where I found the large cent and the flat buttons several years ago so it could be from the old farm. It was in considerably deeper than most of the finds here at camp. But it is also possible a scout bought the round ball as a souvenir at a civil war site and lost it at camp. We will never know for sure.

View attachment 1984480 View attachment 1984481 View attachment 1984482

The blanks are similar to others found throughout camp. They are believed to be from reenactors who came to camp about 15 years ago. The cartridge headstamps are LC 68, Lake City Arsenal 1968 and IVI 76, Industries Valcartier Inc. Quebec Canada 1976.

View attachment 1984483

I went to a park where I usually detect the water. There is not a huge amount of use to this park other than the beach and water, but there are volleyball courts, picnic tables and 2 tot lots. This trip I just did the land which I haven’t done here for several years. There were not as many signals as I thought there would be. I did see some signs that someone else had detected here. They did not stamp down their plugs very well. I wandered around checking on some of the more likely spots hoping for the best.

I spent 6 hours swingin and managed to find 111 coins with a face value of $5.89, a tire balance weight, 2 house keys, a ring, a door lock cylinder, one fishing sinker, some junk and a nice pile of can tabs.

View attachment 1984484

The ring is only a tungsten one but it looks nice and it was the star of the hunt. It looks like one I found on line that is sold at Kohl’s for $75 on sale for $30. Not a great find, but a nice ring non the less. I have found a number of tungsten rings in the past, but all of them have come out of the water. I am pretty sure this is the first one I have recovered on land.

View attachment 1984485

So a couple more good hunts, gas money, fun finds and fresh air exercise. Life is still good. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
A lot of holes!!! Very Good!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread