Scout camp gives up a nice variety, with 2 rings (1 is a silver spinner)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to camp. Now that the water hunting has slowed down I like to try and get to camp at least once a week. It?s usually good for a nice pile of clad and the variety of finds helps keep it fun (which is why we do this. It sure isn?t because we want to get rich lol).

I spent 6.5 hours with the CZ21 doing one of the Cub Scout campsites. I always hope for the best, but I know sometimes things don?t go as planned. Well this time they went better than expected. I found 154 coins with a face value of $10.72, 41 camp tent pegs, 2 flashlights, 2 fishing lures, a belt knife hook, a fake cob, a scout token, a No Cash Value token, 2 Webelos neckerchief slides, a bead, a hat pin, an athletic pin, 2 rings, 2 summertime activity awards, lots of rope tensioners, a pile of sinkers, some melted aluminum, a few personal tent pegs and parts of drill teeth and excavator teeth.

736F5474-68DA-470C-A6B1-EAAC0A1238C5.jpeg

Most campers are smart enough to leave their jewelry at home so I rarely find rings, just scout pins and such. The silver ring was found early in the hunt. It was not very deep and is a nice adult size spinner ring. There was also a small aluminum kiddie ring.

0CE16B95-FC22-4BC3-9E4A-CB7E1E1B6844.jpeg 29B7CB38-9686-4D03-B5F2-69D0FA4ECB4D.jpeg

The fake cob is like many others I have found at camp. They sell them the trading post for the pirate themed activities. The YOU MAKE THE DIFFERENCE token has the scout emblem on the other side. The Eagle token is a NO CASH VALUE token. I have found these tokens many times before. They were given to the Cubs as part of the themed activities.

C52A69E7-0663-4AEB-B39E-E0CD2050DAC5.jpeg

I have found these before. These are only found in the Cub Scout section of camp and mostly in the rockier sites. I thought the larger ones were from an excavator bucket, but now I?m not so sure. The smaller ones could be part of a well drill head, but again I?m not certain. These things are concentrated near the latrine and they would have had to dig the latrine pit and holes for water lines. If anyone has any info on these items I would appreciate your input. It?s nice to get positive IDs on things.

5F284354-D2B8-4702-8456-600066883570.jpeg B9EC8C64-A979-4847-9CD4-4F313F59D9DE.jpeg

Well another good day with more silver for the pile. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 22

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to give it to you you put in the time and effort I?ll tell you that that?s one hell of a hunt. Man it?s so hot down here I can?t make it over two hours these days and that?s drinking a gallon of water I can?t wait until the fall and winter it?ll be a cool 70?: You did a great job

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That silver ring is the best, probably was lost because someone was spinning it too much and it flip off their hand.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me how many of those Boy Scout neckerchief sleeves were lost, you'd think they would've designed one that stayed on better. :laughing7:
The majority of your finds look to date from the 1960s, I'm surprised you didn't find any silver coins.

These are interesting little tokens, I wonder what they were awarded for, is there anything on the back? :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• 736F5474-68DA-470C-A6B1-EAAC0A1238C5-crop.jpeg
    736F5474-68DA-470C-A6B1-EAAC0A1238C5-crop.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 60

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a lot of fun, congrats!
Those 'things' you find are rock picks used in all kinds of mining and excavating equipment such as this beast.
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.01.05 AM.png

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun hunt. I like the fake cob coin. Too bad its a fake lol.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tnt-hunter that's a great haul! Congrats on the silver ring, which is very nice.
I'm hitting an old scout camp (now a nature preserve) on Sunday with a buddy. My guess is that it has to have been hunted by someone previously - but you don't know until you try it!
You said you went "back to camp" - that implies that this camp location has been producing good finds for a while now. Correct?

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a lot of fun, congrats!
Those 'things' you find are rock picks used in all kinds of mining and excavating equipment such as this beast.
View attachment 1947545

Thanks oldmxrat. That looks like a real possibility. Stay safe and keep swingin.

tnt-hunter that's a great haul! Congrats on the silver ring, which is very nice.
I'm hitting an old scout camp (now a nature preserve) on Sunday with a buddy. My guess is that it has to have been hunted by someone previously - but you don't know until you try it!
You said you went "back to camp" - that implies that this camp location has been producing good finds for a while now. Correct?

Thanks brianc053. I have been detecting this camp since 2013. For most of the past 18 months I have been there twice a week most weeks except when the ground was frozen. I have found over 39,000 coins since I stayed here. Stay safe and keep swingin.

It never ceases to amaze me how many of those Boy Scout neckerchief sleeves were lost, you'd think they would've designed one that stayed on better. :laughing7:
The majority of your finds look to date from the 1960s, I'm surprised you didn't find any silver coins.

These are interesting little tokens, I wonder what they were awarded for, is there anything on the back? :icon_scratch:
Dave

Thanks ANTIQUARIAN. They do lose a lot of slides. Actually all of the finds are 1980 or after. The camp didn’t opened until 1980 so a silver coin is unfortunately a rare find. The pins you asked about are a Cub Scout pin awarded to Cubs for participating in summertime activities. The Cub Scout program primarily operates during the school year. (CUB SCOUTING NATIONAL SUMMERTIME AWARD) There is nothing on the back except a pin like a hat pin. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldmxrat gave me the idea to do a search for rock excavating equipment and I think these are good possibilities for where the big teeth came from.

C6AECA7E-281A-451A-A9DE-711B714D5ABA.jpeg DBC67AF0-01FD-4983-BD7C-D5AC67791B80.jpeg CDEE88D1-1ED1-4E8B-9273-3D185310F27F.jpeg

Thanks for the hint. You guys are the best. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks brianc053. I have been detecting this camp since 2013. For most of the past 18 months I have been there twice a week most weeks except when the ground was frozen. I have found over 39,000 coins since I stayed here. Stay safe and keep swingin.
Thirty-nine THOUSAND coins! That's absolutely amazing! Good for you.
I returned to a place this morning that I've posted about on here (the Sidewalk to Nowhere) and I managed to find one more silver dime and about 10 other coins this morning, but - it's hard to keep regularly finding targets at a location. I have utmost respect for your persistence and for your results. Good for you!
- Brian

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks ANTIQUARIAN. They do lose a lot of slides. Actually all of the finds are 1980 or after. The camp didn?t opened until 1980 so a silver coin is unfortunately a rare find. The pins you asked about are a Cub Scout pin awarded to Cubs for participating in summertime activities. The Cub Scout program primarily operates during the school year. (CUB SCOUTING NATIONAL SUMMERTIME AWARD) There is nothing on the back except a pin like a hat pin. Stay safe and keep swingin.
Thanks for the follow up info on the tokens the Scouts awarded, I'd assume similar awards were presented here in Canada, but I've never seen these before. :icon_scratch:

"I have found over 39,000 coins since I stayed here." -
tnt-hunter
This is an absolutely incredible number, how did so many coins end up getting lost over a period of 40 years.
If I was to wager a guess, I'd bet that 80% of these coins were Lincoln's. :laughing7:

There's a large Boy Scout Camp called Camp Samac located up the street from me. My buddy had received permission to detect the camp in the winter of 2020, but in the spring of this year our city officially declared Camp Samac an Ontario Heritage Property protecting it from development. :dontknow:

Scouts Canada Camp - Samac Oshawa

A 150-acre parcel of land for the camp, which had previously been Brookside Park, was donated by industrialist Sam McLaughlin in 1943. Sam McLaughlin owned the McLaughlin Carriage Company who later sold the company to General Motors. The camp was founded in 1946. In the 1950s the camp acquired additional land which had previously been the Pleasure Valley Ranch and Speedway. Additional funds donated by the McLaughlin family were used to create camp building, a swimming pool, and later a water system. In 1964 Kitchie Lodge, with sleeping accommodations for 80 people, was built. The lodge was renovated in 1980, and in 1982 a 36-bed log bunkhouse was built.

For many years, the camp was used for outdoor education classes by the local school board. During the 1980s and 1990s, the camp hosted monthly gatherings of the Pineridge Bluegrass Folklore Society. Beginning in about 2002, the camp hosted an annual Beaveree, a fun fair with activities for children aged five to seven. In 2003, a rash of thefts led to the closing of the camp gates to the public.

As well as scouting activities, the camp has been used for many years to host other community events, including training camps for safety patrollers and the Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority Watershed Festival. The original pool was removed and replaced with a smaller pool in 1992-1993. The pool offered swim lessons, public swim and was available for the campers. Later the City of Oshawa began renting the pool and providing swimming lessons and recreational swimming. In 2013, the city arranged to take over maintenance of the pool for the 2014 season.

Attachments

• scan-1162-crop.jpeg
    scan-1162-crop.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 4211818276_c11acd58c2_c-crop.jpg
    4211818276_c11acd58c2_c-crop.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 52

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats one heck of an adventure really like all the cool stuff you have been finding thanks for the pictures

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirty-nine THOUSAND coins! That's absolutely amazing! Good for you.
I returned to a place this morning that I've posted about on here (the Sidewalk to Nowhere) and I managed to find one more silver dime and about 10 other coins this morning, but - it's hard to keep regularly finding targets at a location. I have utmost respect for your persistence and for your results. Good for you!
- Brian

Thanks Brian. I may be finding loads of coins, but your percentage of silver coins is impressive. Your sidewalk really was to somewhere, it was to silver coins. You have done well. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Thanks for the follow up info on the tokens the Scouts awarded, I'd assume similar awards were presented here in Canada, but I've never seen these before. :icon_scratch:

"I have found over 39,000 coins since I stayed here." -
tnt-hunter
This is an absolutely incredible number, how did so many coins end up getting lost over a period of 40 years.
If I was to wager a guess, I'd bet that 80% of these coins were Lincoln's. :laughing7:

There's a large Boy Scout Camp called Camp Samac located up the street from me. My buddy had received permission to detect the camp in the winter of 2020, but in the spring of this year our city officially declared Camp Samac an Ontario Heritage Property protecting it from development. :dontknow:

Sorry to hear about your friend’s bad luck on the camp.

The camp I detect is very large. It has 3 distinct areas each with 10 to 15 campsites that accommodate 30 to 60 campers. Most sites are full for the entire 8 weeks of camp each summer. So there have probably been over 40,000 campers here over the years. Most kids don’t pay that much attention to their change these days so a few coins down the crack in the floor boards is no big deal. Back when I was in camp a quarter was a big deal so you held tight to your change, not the same today. When they take down the tents at the end of camp they stack the floor boards which leaves the coins hiding in the leaves for future finding. Since I can detect when the tents are down when I first started here there were some spots you can’t move your coil a foot without getting a coin signal. I’ve covered most of those places and now I am just cleaning up new losses, going out further to areas not covered and finding things I missed the first time.

Actually the pennies are more like 40-50%. There are a surprising number of quarters in some spots.

Stay safe and keep swingin.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always fun to find the Scouting items, and it looks like you have quite a variety there. Nice hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread