Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my grandpa gave me his collection of artifacts recently and I was looking through them and this scraper jumped out at me. It seems like a very familiar style/type. I looked through one book and there was a drawing of a very similar one from a Clovis assemblage. I’m not sure if that’s where I recognized it or not. Im not sure if it is even reliably dateable but any knowledge would be greatly appreciated
6FAE0F58-2423-42E2-9BDE-1038A11BB0E4.jpeg
31695F9D-0E65-49C3-A07A-E4D8425FB3D9.jpeg
DBE237D8-9559-4CC9-96F5-165D9FDCBAA0.jpeg
View attachment
2655EF39-69F3-41F9-9203-A5205917247C.jpeg
57E9F082-CC98-4070-9AE1-ED476AEB4D94.jpeg
11DBD2BD-DAE9-4C1C-958E-951BA38F623C.jpeg
9ECE43BD-F4DC-4C2A-83EF-931A49C75B53.jpeg
A4B15E5C-5BE8-40AF-82BA-90DFFD635F92.jpeg
75AB382C-CE45-4DC2-88F6-FDCDF964A4E0.jpeg

Upvote 14
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I have my share of scrapers but nothing this size or style. It looks so familiar but I can’t place it

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being uni faced you want to scream paleo but they made them in all the time periods. Regardless I think unifacial scrapers are the best! Really nice material.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in the same boat Id love to call it paleo, there is a slight lean that way with my current evidence but there really isn’t anything definitive. I came across the term duck bill scraper. Possibly a name? … my grandpa is eager to hear my assessment of his stuff so I’m trying to gather as much info as I can

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! :coffee2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in the same boat Id love to call it paleo, there is a slight lean that way with my current evidence but there really isn’t anything definitive. I came across the term duck bill scraper. Possibly a name? … my grandpa is eager to hear my assessment of his stuff so I’m trying to gather as much info as I can
Yep there is duck bill,thumb and horse hoof various names for them. I do not think yours is either. I lean more towards the ones in this link.
https://peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/17-flaked-stone-tools/178-dalton-scraper
But you sir are not close to this area. I have a really great horse hoof scaper I found.😁
You know uniface might chime in on this thread he has spent years studying and collecting these tools.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, that’s definitely more evidence making it possibly paleo, and while I’m not near Georgia dalton isn’t unknown around here. I’m on the extreme fringe of the ozarks, so I get a mix of eastern artifacts and plains styles…

for example I’m pretty confident my grandpa has a Hardin or two in there. What I didn’t know was overstreet says Hardin may be an eastern version of scotts bluff, which also can be found here, I suspect I may have one myself.

But back to the scraper, some other observations. Being worked on two sides and all the way down the long end makes me suspect it wasn’t hafted

Also trying to explain what looks like crushing damage especially on the finely flaked end

I also keep calling it a scraper but is there a chance it’s a backed knife as well? That flat long side would give a good platform to push without fear of cutting.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go along with Tdog and older the better, that it looks like a backed knife

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The step fracturing on the end is from attempts to rejuvinate that edge. As a scraper is resharpened, the steeper the end gets. And the more nearly perpendicular it is, the more likely it is that it will step rather than the removals carrying up and over. You see this commonly (when you look) on thick scrapers that were re-edged again and again until they were useless.

FWIW

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks uni for the knowledge wouldn’t have guessed that’s what caused those fractures.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting broad edged scraper, showing a well used surface on the two ends. But, I believe that they also used the the long edge to work with. I am thinking paleo due to the larger defined flaking on the edges. That is a very nice find!

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the opinion on the age, every bit helps. I’d love to tease out as much info as I can so I can give him a good review of his collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions