Scratching A Couple Items Off The List.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all, the week before last we got a lot of rain. I got out once on a Sunday and the fields were saturated with water. I walked some woods but came home empty-handed. This weekend I decided to hit some woods I went to last fall a couple times. I did manage to find a couple keepers there but dug a lot of spoons. So I dubbed it the "Spoon Woods". It seemed a lot more open with a lot of the vegetation gone from the winter. Saturday started out a little slow because everywhere you walk you're going to get a mid tone. I mean everywhere. I dug so many small pieces of trash, it gets a little discouraging. My first good tone was coming in like a dime, 82-83. As I popped the plug it then started coming in like a quarter. I scratch around in the hole and pop out my first silver spoon. That took care of all the trash I had dug earlier. Cleaned the slate so to speak. I noticed that part of the handle was missing and I searched around for it with no luck. I found a wheat penny but the ground was very rough on it. Can't even make out the date on it. The next good tone was coming in around the high 60's to mid 70's. Popped the plug and it was in it. When I found it, I was surprised to see silver spoon #2. Smaller than the first one. It's a souvenir spoon with one of our local colleges on it. It has a different name on it than what they call it now. They used this name from 1865 til 1929. Still very happy I noticed the time and had to skedaddle.
IMG_20180303_132043.jpg IMG_20180303_142849.jpg IMG_20180304_135848.jpg IMG_20180304_173228.jpg
Sunday was a little chilly so I was in no hurry. Had me two cups of coffee to ward off the chill. I knew it was going to be another beautiful day like it was Saturday. I got back to the woods and started right where I left off. When I'm in the woods I don't grid like a yard or a field. I walk around here for a bit than wonder over there to try it out. Once again it was finding little pieces of trash. Then came the good tones that turned out to be mason jar lids or small makeup compacts. I did find another wheat penny. Then I got a high tone, around 87. Popped the plug and still in the hole. Scratch around a bit and find silver spoon #3. Like the first one I found, the end of the handle was broken off. Still a nice find. I stay in the area and about six feet away I get an 82-83. Popped the plug and it's in the hole. Scratch around a bit and find the end to the spoon. I'm all smiles now. I know you have had hunts like this. Get back at it to find another wheat. Then came something small and odd. Turns out to be a racing pigeon band from 1956. I start following this deer trail and it crosses a little stream. Headed back to where I started to gather up my gear. I get a nice high tone, 87-89. It's saying 6 to 8 inches. Pop the plug and it's still in the hole. Now it's reading 93-96. Pinpointer is saying it's right in the bottom. Pulling the mud away with my finger I spot something big and shiny. Right away I'm thinking some kind of token because I've dug hundreds of these to be a small piece of copper pipe or some other trash. I actually stood up and looked down at it for a minute. I knew it was the real deal this time. I popped out my first 1912 Barber half. Man, you want to talk about cutting a rug right on the spot. It didn't last long because I was a little tuckered from all the walking. Anyway, I gathered up my stuff and called it. Once again I've kept you long enough. Best of luck on your hunts. SD
IMG_20180304_131501.jpg IMG_20180304_133653.jpg IMG_20180304_133957.jpg IMG_20180304_143636.jpg IMG_20180304_203411.jpg

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Helluva hunt! 🙌 Nice recoveries. Love the spoons. I've only been able to do the "Barber Dance" once in the past 3 years.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there, congrats on the silver. HH

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva hunt!  Nice recoveries. Love the spoons. I've only been able to do the "Barber Dance" once in the past 3 years.
Thanks Ogre, I'm very happy with the Barber but I keep hoping for the LC.
Great finds there, congrats on the silver. HH
Thanks wingmaster

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, LOVE those finds! what a nice assortment with the Barber to top it off!

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds and congrats on the Barber!!

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Atta boy Dave! Glad to hear that you are getting out.... and still finding the good stuff.

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atta boy Dave! Glad to hear that you are getting out.... and still finding the good stuff.
Thanks Rodney, we always hope for a couple keepers and I was blessed on that hunt.

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest: