ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well over a decade ago I built a simple air lift using the second supply line from my comp using clear large Acrylic tube first... then later designed one from extra thick torched boro glass.

The idea was to see material lift etc.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got one person available to work each end and the sand will fall through a basket, any ideas about how to use the scuba air to move the sand?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin-

Best I can suggest is KIS principle...

3" PVC sch 40 pipe....with 2" nozzle....1/2" fitting at lower end near nozzle to pipe air in...with a ball valve for air cutoff.....a set of doubles should drive it for maybe 10 minutes at 30'. And it will NOT be very strong.... I have a few other idea's, but...

And remember that alot of air is gonna create alot of surface disturbance.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin-

Best I can suggest is KIS principle...

3" PVC sch 40 pipe....with 2" nozzle....1/2" fitting at lower end near nozzle to pipe air in...with a ball valve for air cutoff.....a set of doubles should drive it for maybe 10 minutes at 30'. And it will NOT be very strong....

I didn't have the numbers, but I expected this.

Kev, why not buy a small compressor and float it on a raft? Like a hookah sized compressor maybe.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some resources: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ation_in_sedimentological_underwater_research

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...9-2-airlift-90-ft-water-psi-cubic-ft-min.html

attachment.php

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why use air,use water.its alot easier to pump water down to the bottom for a suction dredge than air.you could park the water pump on shore or in a boat

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've toyed with this idea a lot. How about a cylinder full of water that you blow out using air. You'd probably want the traditional venturi setup on the bottom end. It'd obviously need to be refilled with water each time. I always wanted to try n engineer one with a high volume toilet plunger but KIS is crucial to things actually working lol. I think it'd be fun and pretty cheap to do the plunger idea but shells and things may just keep it clogged lol. I wish I could attach some sketches.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue with an air dredge is that you bring up water, and air...air in water makes it lose the lift capability...a very careful balance, and really only small scale, very fine sands even have a chance...

That table shows 20 to 40CFM????

They used 3 tanks in 30 minutes.....seems like you spend more time with tanks than its worth

an submersible dredge is a good possibility...rather than pump to the surface, the dredge is near the bottom...small distance to pump....

are you looking for recover or to move overburden?

View attachment 1089530

You could use the compressed air to run an underwater water pump to power the dredge...

rig up a compressed air drill to power a keene dredge waterpump...no reason it all cannot be underwater!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ii understand and agree with all of the comments about moving water and pumps etc but the question was about scuba tanks because I have just been given a dozen tanks that I dont need for diving and was soliciting opinion purely on the ? taking tanks to the bottom?? question?

I think based on what has been said and an opinion via phone from Agflit that using them with a cut off hose instead of fanning would be their only sensible use underwater.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
power airtools underwater!
That being said, I did use an air powered drill with an auger but with my 4" dredge ...

made working the gravel and hardpack really easy...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread