Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a hunt, got skunked at my best spot, on the way back out I decided to take a detour to a field I hadn’t looked over in several months, came up with this point before the rain got me. This is the biggest point I’ve found in quite a while and never had one with so many fossils. I’m impressed that someone could get a point out such a material.
IMG_3351.jpeg
IMG_3352.jpeg
IMG_3353.jpeg
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3319.jpeg
IMG_3331.jpeg
IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_3339.jpeg
IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_3345.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
That is the neatest looking point I have seen in awhile. Those fossils are easily visible and identifiable. I have seen lots of stuff with oolites, but I don't think I have ever seen one with a little bivalve/clam/whatever that is. Do you know the name of the geologic formation that chert comes from?

It also looks to me like your find there, a hafted biface, certainly may have started life as a dart point, but that it's final application was as a knife. It has definitely been heavily resharpened along one edge.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know the stone off the top of my head but I’ll definitely be looking, I see the bivalve, there’s a cross section of a crinoid, some bryozoans, and various other scraps.
I agree on the knife, when I did the title I was just thinking dart because it’s bigger than an arrowhead. The way it’s been sharpened says knife to me.
I’m between a few types, Langtry, Dickson, or hidden valley. I kinda like it for hidden valley.
IMG_3357.jpeg

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for what kind of material that is, looks similar to hertha but I’ve never seen hertha with that level of obvious fossils

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread