Searched along an old logging trail in the woods behind my house

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
The day was beautiful yesterday, so I took a day off of work and went out into the woods behind my house (eastern Connecticut). I know of an overgrown old trail that goes through part of the woods, so I focused along there. The finds came up in two's. Two complete horseshoes, two wedges, and two other items that I believe are maybe ox shoes? Also pictured is an iron ring that looks more modern to me. Not pictured is a crossbow bolt that I found by eye sticking out of the ground. It didn't fit in my pouch, so I stuck it in my belt, and when I got home it was gone again. Based on the finds, I'd have to say it was a logging trail. The shoes were each found in locations that were at the bottom of steep sections of the trail. The wedges were found near large rocks where someone might sit down to rest for a while.

The two complete shoes are different sizes and styles. The two partial shoes seem similar, and both look like they go on the same side of the hoof.

Can any of the highly knowledgeable folks on the forum give me a better idea of the age of the items? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and HH!

20211216_115857.jpg
20211216_115833.jpg
20211216_115830.jpg
20211216_115827.jpg
20211216_115820.jpg

Upvote 14

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The day was beautiful yesterday , so I took a day off of work and went out into the woods behind my house (eastern Connecticut). I know of an overgrown old trail that goes through part of the woods, so I focused along there. The finds came up in two's. Two complete horseshoes, two wedges, and two other items that I believe are maybe ox shoes? Also pictured is an iron ring that looks more modern to me. Not pictured is a crossbow bolt that I found by eye sticking out of the ground. It didn't fit in my pouch, so I stuck it in my belt, and when I got home it was gone again. Based on the finds, I'd have to say it was a logging trail. The shoes were each found in locations that were at the bottom of steep sections of the trail. The wedges were found near large rocks where someone might sit down to rest for a while.

The two complete shoes are different sizes and styles. The two partial shoes seem similar, and both look like they go on the same side of the hoof.

Can any of the highly knowledgeable folks on the forum give me a better idea of the age of the items? Any info is greatly appreciated!
]
I think the two “incomplete” shoes are actually oxen shoes (as you noted). Not sure how to date all these items, but they are nice. Congrats.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day was beautiful yesterday, so I took a day off of work and went out into the woods behind my house (eastern Connecticut). I know of an overgrown old trail that goes through part of the woods, so I focused along there. The finds came up in two's. Two complete horseshoes, two wedges, and two other items that I believe are maybe ox shoes? Also pictured is an iron ring that looks more modern to me. Not pictured is a crossbow bolt that I found by eye sticking out of the ground. It didn't fit in my pouch, so I stuck it in my belt, and when I got home it was gone again. Based on the finds, I'd have to say it was a logging trail. The shoes were each found in locations that were at the bottom of steep sections of the trail. The wedges were found near large rocks where someone might sit down to rest for a while.

Thanks, and HH!

View attachment 1997106 View attachment 1997107 View attachment 1997108 View attachment 1997109 View attachment 1997110
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some wedges like those at a stone quarry , is there a quarry near you or a stone house. they seem too small for forestry work.

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxen shoes indeed, and the horse shoes have traction cleats for pulling heavy loads which is common in logging areas. Agree on the wedges being felling wedges. Good finds, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread