tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick Google search. I guess there really wouldn't be much if a problem detecting glacial alluvials, creeks and rivers.

No person shall use metal detectors in any turf areas within the County park system. Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statues.

OP
OP
E

eyott

Aug 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Cortez
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the state parks in the Michigan UP go as far as making and posting maps of allowable metal detecting areas. Don't know that would affect detecting for gold in state park streams.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
just a heads up..... MI gold for the most part is fine, it's from the last ice age and the glaciers so about a metal detector of being any use.

Now a pan on the other hand, back when MI was being logged many of the loggers would pan the streams and creeks looking for a little extra pocket change, and there are claims in the state owned by the LDMA.

There are areas of black sand, (ran several 5 gallon pails though my spiral machine with no luck) but you would likely have better luck in the UP....

However I do know of a guy who uses a drone over farmers fields not far from here looking for old stream beds and he claims to have fairly good luck in his search for gold, Just be sure to get permission from any land owners before....

Wings19

Greenie
Oct 19, 2020
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800&600
Whites 5900 di pro
Garrett ATX Deep Seeker
Nokta Makro Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What area of Michigan do you plan on searching? I'm not sure about the lower peninsula but the only gold i have ever seen or found here in the U.P is the size of flea poop. Lots of it but extremely fine.

Wings19

Greenie
Oct 19, 2020
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800&600
Whites 5900 di pro
Garrett ATX Deep Seeker
Nokta Makro Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on the laws for that but i imagine it wouldn't be a problem. I have heard of some nugget stories from some old timers but the only nugget i have ever seen is in the museum in houghton. Size of a quarter.

Apr 14, 2022
just a heads up..... MI gold for the most part is fine, it's from the last ice age and the glaciers so about a metal detector of being any use.

Now a pan on the other hand, back when MI was being logged many of the loggers would pan the streams and creeks looking for a little extra pocket change, and there are claims in the state owned by the LDMA.

There are areas of black sand, (ran several 5 gallon pails though my spiral machine with no luck) but you would likely have better luck in the UP....

However I do know of a guy who uses a drone over farmers fields not far from here looking for old stream beds and he claims to have fairly good luck in his search for gold, Just be sure to get permission from any land owners before....
The gold here in Michigan is really fine and hard to separate from black sand. I have been working on different ideas and ways to separate it.

The Blue Bowl Gold Concentrator seems to miss most of the flour gold cause it is so fine and has flat sides. The water grabs it and sucks it right down the drain.

A Miller Table is helping me find gold I never saw with a pan before. A pan that was only showing 1 speck of flour gold in a pan is now showing me many super tiny flakes on the Miller Table. I have to use a magnifying glass to find them. But they are there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread