Season 5

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and AGAIN_____ GAWWY can't ID ANY targets, can't dig his own hole, ---finds a "COYIN"--- maybe take a minute to TRY to clean & ID it :BangHead::dontknow::tongue3:???:icon_jokercolor::cussing::tard:

GRAPESHOT ??????:laughing9:----- or rusty nut----- nitwit:BangHead:

next week he will swing over his steel toe boot and claim it's a cannon :skullflag::treasurechest::laughing9:

another joyride to a castle---- COULD IT BE______________________another hour of a SUBWAY footlong---- all lettuce & NO :censored: 'n MEAT----:dontknow::tongue3:

then--- rick, marty and the team go to ---------

YUPPPPP___THE WAR ROOM

I still don't understand what the big deal is with finding old coins on an island that was clearly visited over the past 300-400 years. If Dunfield, Blankenship and all the other previous searchers devoted any resources into finding old worthless coins buried 2 ft deep, our metal detecting expert wouldn't be finding anything on the island. It's not like history books are stating that no one had touched the island prior to 1750.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people does it take to operate one metal detector ? Here's an idea. Buy a few more. It won't be long before you have more "experts"

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree finding coins means nothing really other then to date when people where there. What I find most amazing about all the coins they are finding is that why back then people should have been taking better care to not lose their money. It's not like today where Min Wage is $7.25 an hour and people don't care much where they drop a nickel or dime, that's chicken feed today compared to what people back then were making for a days work...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole research thing at the library was so staged. The person who asked others to come help him dig up more information, already had a couple of books bookmarked and would pretend like he found a map by pure luck. The others were just flipping pages without reading anything. What a waste of time.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree finding coins means nothing really other then to date when people where there. What I find most amazing about all the coins they are finding is that why back then people should have been taking better care to not lose their money. It's not like today where Min Wage is $7.25 an hour and people don't care much where they drop a nickel or dime, that's chicken feed today compared to what people back then were making for a days work...
It doesn't really surprise me. Heck, even when I was young and poor I'd still lose a quarter here and there and had no luck finding it.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how old you are but even as far back as the 40's that quarter meant quite a bit to you but now imagine what that quarter would have meant to a person 200 years ago... when some people didn't have money, but traded goods with each other...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how old you are but even as far back as the 40's that quarter meant quite a bit to you but now imagine what that quarter would have meant to a person 200 years ago... when some people didn't have money, but traded goods with each other...

Checking the inflation calculator, 1 British pound in 1780 would equal 160 pounds in today's dollars. Using that same conversion rate and noting that 1 British pound equaled 240 pence at the time, if the Laginas were actually finding 18th century British pence, their value would likely equal to only $1 American dollar in today's money. Of course, some of the money found could be sterling, which would cost over $20 in today's dollars. That's certainly a significant amount, but we've all lost and found money within that same range in our lifetimes. Again, this is taking inflation into consideration and noting that the island had been often visited and settled for 100's of years.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind I'm not saying the coins are worth anything today but to who ever lost them I figured they we worth more to them then us losing a $5 bill today.. We kinda keep track of those, not so much with loose change but back in 1780 loose change is what most people had assuming they had any money at all.. Again they traded goods for services alot...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind I'm not saying the coins are worth anything today but to who ever lost them I figured they we worth more to them then us losing a $5 bill today.. We kinda keep track of those, not so much with loose change but back in 1780 loose change is what most people had assuming they had any money at all.. Again they traded goods for services alot...

Good point, but it could've been some well off person like Samuel Ball who dropped a few of those coins, or some other wealthy landowners. I'm sure some of the people who dropped and lost their money were likely upset, but it's certainly not surprising that it happens. Heck, even if I drop 10 cents on the ground I'll bend down and pick it up, but if I found out that I lost a $20 bill near the gas station I left behind 50 miles ago, I probably won't go back and retrieve it.

Plus, I'm not sure I understand the argument of trading vs. actual money. For instance, if trading was more prominent back then, certain traded goods would still have certain value attached to them. What I mean is that if people had items to trade and knew they cost a certain amount, they certainly wouldn't sell that item at 1/10 its worth just to have actual money in their pockets. I mean people in the 1930's could say the same thing about us, since we use a certain percentage of credit vs. cash nowadays.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saying that alot of people back then didn't have paying jobs. So they didn't actually make money but farmed or were a craftsmen of some sort and yes those "goods" had a value which they traded for clothes or food or whatever. Sometimes of course someone might pay cash for their "goods" so they have alittle change in their pocket that I'd think would be of a greater value to them then our pocket change is today.. My thinking is they'd take better care of it and not lose it.. On the show they find a coin about every time they go looking...
If you were mowing the yard and afterwards realized you lost a $20 bill would you not spend some time looking for it in your own yard...

Last edited:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Just saying that alot of people back then didn't have paying jobs. So they didn't actually make money but farmed or were a craftsmen of some sort and yes those "goods" had a value which they traded for clothes or food or whatever. Sometimes of course someone might pay cash for their "goods" so they have alittle change in their pocket that I'd think would be of a greater value to them then our pocket change is today.. My thinking is they'd take better care of it and not lose it.. On the show they find a coin about every time they go looking...
If you were mowing the yard and afterwards realized you lost a $20 bill would you not spend some time looking for it in your own yard...

You are assuming they knew where they lost it. They very busy long days and it was very difficult keeping track of things let alone a few coins here and there. Dont forget pockets were not very deep. You had coin purses and pouches. How many times have you heard they story of someone losing $50 dollars, only to find it months later in an overcoat?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must of cost a fortune to get that oscillator made for drilling there new hole

I thought the new oscillator was the most interesting part, considering that it is a new design (even if just scaled up); they flip the switch and it begins working the first time.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the new oscillator was the most interesting part, considering that it is a new design (even if just scaled up); they flip the switch and it begins working the first time.
Yep.. It is an impressive piece of equipment. I am happy that they will be digging in what seems the 'most likley' place of where the original money pit appears to be.

Having said that I do not understand why they have left such a big area in their grid unchecked.

pattern-drilling-2-2.jpg

Given that the hole that they think is the pit is right at the edge of the undrilled area. It seems a bit crazy that they drill one hole and find some things and do not drill more holes on the other side of this hole before the start digging there main big hole.

I do think that the quote made on last episode about " solving the mystery but destroying the treasure" is exactly what that equipment would do if there was actually any historically significant treasure there. ie Ark of covenant or shakesphere manuscripts (not that I think there is treasure there). That method of drilling and digging will smash anything they come across to bits....

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For clarity, there was never an original money pit. Only spots picked out by companies looking to milk investors. No evidence has ever been presented that an actual money pit was ever found.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For clarity, there was never an original money pit. Only spots picked out by companies looking to milk investors. No evidence has ever been presented that an actual money pit was ever found.
my own view is that the original 'pit' (first dug by the three guys) was dug in an area of a sink hole. ie an earthquake caused the top of one of those underground cavities to cave in and some soil liquidfication occurred with a heap of soil dropping into the cavity and water rushing up to fill the void. This resulted in the depression on the surface as the other soil sunk a bit. The pit flooded when they dug down to where the water had come in from the underground cavities to replace the dirt that had fallen down.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
What continues to frustrate me is how they continue to produce a one hour show with fifteen minutes of actual information. Part of me wants them to find something of interest, the other part of me wants them to show a final show and admit they failed. Goodnight & goodbye!
Pap

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remain optimistic that something will be found here they are digging now. The carbon dating of the bone fragments tend to rule out any "ancient" connotations ,although just because the bones are from 1600's , doesn't mean something older wasn't buried with/by the bones. The search area within the casings (50" diameter) in reality depends how plumb the original drill hole was and how plumb the casing is installed. What if they both meandered away from vertical and they missed it all by this much |------------------------|

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remain optimistic that something will be found here they are digging now. The carbon dating of the bone fragments tend to rule out any "ancient" connotations ,although just because the bones are from 1600's , doesn't mean something older wasn't buried with/by the bones. The search area within the casings (50" diameter) in reality depends how plumb the original drill hole was and how plumb the casing is installed. What if they both meandered away from vertical and they missed it all by this much |------------------------|

Even if they drilled holes in a 1’ checkerboard pattern across the entire island and still found nothing, some would still say the holes missed the treasure...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Even if they drilled holes in a 1’ checkerboard pattern across the entire island and still found nothing, some would still say the holes missed the treasure...

Robert Dunfield already tried something close to this. Would you care to take a guess at how much treasure he recovered?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread