Season 7 - The story goes on...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He probably bulldozed them into the swamp when he was clearing land to build his house.

Nolan's cross is interesting. The two plausible theories in my view are:

1)J.Steele's view that it had something to do with the Jesuits who she theorizes were running a naval store operation on Oak Island. She believes that they were using slave labor and "guesses" the cross might of been built/positioned as a meeting point/religious ceremony site for the slaves/Jesuits.

2) Fred Nolan made it as a way of helping raise money for his treasure search efforts.

I struggle to believe they could of just naturally occurred that way. But it is also possible...

No one has did any analysis on the stones to see if all are indigenous to Oak Island? I know at least one of the stones was off loaded from a ship sometimes around 1620 give or take 10 years. Maybe the carved "Skull Rock?"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I know at least one of the stones was off loaded from a ship sometimes around 1620 give or take 10 years...
Is this from Diana Jean Muir's questionable "SINCLAIR JOURNALS" found in a trunk in a dusty basement in Tennessee?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be more accurate to say "I believe"...

gazzahk, I am sorry to offend the academics and the people that are still searching for they do not know what? I have never, nor will I ever live in a subjective train of thought. You, ECS, Charlie P. or whomever can live in a World filled with different streets and avenues of a "thought pattern?" I learned over 60 years ago not to use such words. They are not in my vocabulary or train of thought. I have a two lane highway of thought and that is, "you either know" or "you do not know!" And when I do not know, I research and work it the thought until I do know. Like in the movie, "Pure Country," when you say such words you leave yourself wide open to suggestion. So I simply do not use such words as "I believe", "might have" or "would have." You get on a witness stand and say such words and the opposing attorney will eat you for supper. You either "KNOW" or "YOU DO NOT KNOW." That is the only way my thought pattern works. Sorry if that offends some of you. I think it best for me in the future to not post my thoughts on subjective forums. Just like ECS post, seeking someone to post the truth so he can keep his nay saying going. I do not like that world either. So I guess for people like me it is best I live in my own world simply because I never have my doubts about what my mind researches and finds out. I either KNOW or I DON'T KNOW. And that is the way I will always be. So you and others keep searching.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gazzahk, I am sorry to offend the academics and the people that are still searching for they do not know what? I have never, nor will I ever live in a subjective train of thought.
Ha ha...

1200px-Goofy.svg.png

I am glad you confident in your knowledge my friend...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... So I guess for people like me it is best I live in my own world simply because I never have my doubts about what my mind researches and finds out.
I either KNOW or I DON'T KNOW. And that is the way I will always be.
So you and others keep searching.
So is your explanation on why you are once again avoiding to state the source when posting statements as fact because it exists only in your world and mind, and no other place?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But to say you know when you actually do not does not make it true. Oak Island - whatever it is - is hardly a binary decision. There may very well be some interesting history of visitors on Oak Island and New Ross. Shame it has been destroyed.

I prefer the scientific method. The evidence can support several conclusions. So we keep reexamining the evidence and updating the theory. Eventually one becomes the most supportable.

Franklin - you are correct that my thoughts are many and varied. But it is dangerous to get locked into a biased and narrow path . . . certainly if it is headed in the wrong direction. I question your beliefs no more or less than I question my own.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But to say you know when you actually do not does not make it true. Oak Island - whatever it is - is hardly a binary decision. There may very well be some interesting history of visitors on Oak Island and New Ross. Shame it has been destroyed.

I prefer the scientific method. The evidence can support several conclusions. So we keep reexamining the evidence and updating the theory. Eventually one becomes the most supportable.

Franklin - you are correct that my thoughts are many and varied. But it is dangerous to get locked into a biased and narrow path . . . certainly if it is headed in the wrong direction. I question your beliefs no more or less than I question my own.

Very well worded Charlie!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I like the show but I want to choke the narrator. If you get rid of the commercials and that fool repeating everything "a mysterious bit of wood.. could it be from a treasure chest".. etc it would be an 8 minute show.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately, the gullible and weak-minded interpret "...could it be..." to mean "IT IS.", "...could they have..." equates to "THEY DID THIS."

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good stuff appearing in the Uplands dig area - no answers, but interesting. My preliminary conclusion from this week's findings is that the Smith Cove works are not a simple dry dock, and that there were definitely old workings deep underground. And....bummer, that's the last day they can work on that site this year. I have no idea what they would do there next year to continue the search: if they continue to excavate, they'll certainly run into the lake of water that floods every other hole nearby.

My favorite idea for whacko theory of the week is as previously posted by someone: opening up the deep hole has allowed the coronavirus to escape into the air and threaten the world.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that whole "tunnel" Smith cove closure a bit staged. Surely it would of been known long before when the construction company would need to come to dismantle the dam. It would have taken a fair while to put Smith Cove back to "natural". The pretend that it came as a surprise was just silly in my view.

I do not find the tunnel argument convincing. Billy said they had wood all the way down. Marty said there was undisturbed dirt on top of the tunnel. We saw the wood as Billy was digging so Marty was not being honest.

"Even if" that structure is from 1769 (same as U shapped structure) there were people living in the area at that time. No one/group was going to conduct a major operation burying treasure as all the locals watched. This operation must of been something fairly mundane and uninteresting ie a naval stores operation (J.Steele's theory) or something such like.

If they had truly believed that structure (alleged tunnel) was worth further investigation I am sure they could of got the permit extended for a few days. The fact that they did not shows much. They now can talk about the finding of the flood tunnel without ever having to show it was more then just a collapsed searcher shaft.

The lead stuff is just rubbish. A piece of lead from Greece or Turkey must mean Knights Templar brought it there......

As to the mercury there was smashed canisters of mercury found on the beach somewhere in the past and these were linked to mining efforts on the island (mercury is used in mining) (here is an interesting article on the possible earlier mercury finds https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/mercury-flasks-on-oak-island ). This seems far more plausible than Francis Bacon and Shakespeare....

It good to see Laird doing some proper historic searching. You could see Rick just wanted to bring in the bulldozer to search the "secret" cellar...

I still cannot see why they are interested in Stones in the swamp. How do they think that could be treasure related in anyway...

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that whole "tunnel" Smith cove closure a bit staged. Surely it would of been known long before when the construction company would need to come to dismantle the dam. It would have taken a fair while to put Smith Cove back to "natural". The pretend that it came as a surprise was just silly in my view.

I do not find the tunnel argument convincing. Billy said they had wood all the way down. Marty said there was undisturbed dirt on top of the tunnel. We saw the wood as Billy was digging so Marty was not being honest.

"Even if" that structure is from 1769 (same as U shapped structure) there were people living in the area at that time. No one/group was going to conduct a major operation burying treasure as all the locals watched. This operation must of been something fairly mundane and uninteresting ie a naval stores operation (J.Steele's theory) or something such like.

If they had truly believed that structure (alleged tunnel) was worth further investigation I am sure they could of got the permit extended for a few days. The fact that they did not shows much. They now can talk about the finding of the flood tunnel without ever having to show it was more then just a collapsed searcher shaft.

The lead stuff is just rubbish. A piece of lead from Greece or Turkey must mean Knights Templar brought it there......

As to the mercury there was smashed canisters of mercury found on the beach somewhere in the past and these were linked to mining efforts on the island (mercury is used in mining) (here is an interesting article on the possible earlier mercury finds https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/blockhouse-blog/mercury-flasks-on-oak-island ). This seems far more plausible than Francis Bacon and Shakespeare....

It good to see Laird doing some proper historic searching. You could see Rick just wanted to bring in the bulldozer to search the "secret" cellar...

I still cannot see why they are interested in Stones in the swamp. How do they think that could be treasure related in anyway...

100% agree with everything you said, especially with respect to the permit extension. The show runners are doing the same thing they do towards the end of each summer, leave enough ambiguous mystery to justify another season. I can see this lasting another 5 seasons as long as the ratings are high.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mercury will bond (amalgamate) with nearly any metal, except iron, platinum, and a couple of rare earths. It is unusual to find lead that has been "out in the wild" for years without at least some mercury with it. If in fact there had been containers of mercury found on the beach in the past, you can be certain at least trace amounts would have bonded with any lead in the area. It is likely the cross they found a couple years ago probably had some mercury.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't see anything else there myself. What it has turned into is more of an archaeological dig in the swamp - leaving no stone unturned in case there is some clue to what was being done there. If it was such a busy place to need a substantial roadway, surely there might also be objects related to the activity.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine the team revisiting the swamp and Smith's Cove after this season. Next season will likely include a massive dig in the Money Pit area and a lot more crazy theories from the loony guest of the week. I also wouldn't be surprised if they start another dig on the north side of the island based on some questionable documentation found in someone's private collection.

I realize that the ratings are good, but how much more can they explore on this island?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - to me, this year will conclude the swamp and Smith's Cove explorations. The only thing left is a really big dig (200 X 200 foot hole), so that there's no way they could miss whatever is down there. It is technologically feasible; the only question is if the audience count and Lagina's money could support such a dig.

I also think they could still continue exploring and metal-detecting the rest of the island surface that they haven't already checked out.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - to me, this year will conclude the swamp and Smith's Cove explorations. The only thing left is a really big dig (200 X 200 foot hole), so that there's no way they could miss whatever is down there. It is technologically feasible; the only question is if the audience count and Lagina's money could support such a dig.

I also think they could still continue exploring and metal-detecting the rest of the island surface that they haven't already checked out.

Hopefully Laird will be able to obtain a permit to checkout that basement as well.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode, they discover that the Templars trafficked in blue clay mined from the island (so to speak). But I wonder if there really could have been a market for a special blue clay that was mined there? Not likely to be a market in the 'new world', so any pottery made from such clay would have been made in the old world. They could test some likely pottery to see if was composed of Oak Island clay. But certainly every part of the world has its own clay nearby, and I can't imagine them shipping clay anywhere else back in those times.

They showed some of the setup scenes from the Big Can and began slamming, preparing for a series of finds on next week's episode. It's interesting that the 60 ton actuator was a custom build in South Korea. At that size, it was likely shipped by ship. Considering the lead time for design, fabrication and shipping, it would have been ordered in 2018.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread