OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the whole my friend lead does not wash up hill over rocky ground. Especially when it is shaped like a cross.

It was found near the shore. Those structures went out to at least the level of the coffer dam they built.

'The washed up from the storm' does not seem plausible. Even if it was that does not answer all the other reasons why that piece of lead is not a significant Templar artifact.

The fact that not a single piece of evidence has been offered by the Laginas is of itself telling that even they do not believe there false hood.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
There is a logic problem that is avoided by all theorists and even those on the island as it cannot be reconciled without revealing the fallacy of the continued search there.

It goes like this:

The observations of the disposition of a certain site on Oak Island led 3 persons to assume it may have been the location where a treasure was buried.

As this is the sole reason that the search commenced and the site excavated then;

1. As the site has been excavated numerous times and no treasure is there then the assumption made by the 3 persons that it was the location a treasure had been buried was false.

2. Notwithstanding the search being based on a false assumption, any theory that suggests or works out that the treasure is buried somewhere else on the island is just invented fantasy: the search only started due to an assumption made about one particular spot.

If any of the 'true believers' of Oak Island want to have a go trying to get over what the logic proves out then now is your chance.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally find the story told by the three old ladies (descendants) of the original finders of the pit that they recovered three small chests of treasure credible. To me this explains the rest of the legend. Word got out about their find and everyone went looking in an empty hole for more...

I accept that the is little in the way of evidence for this story other then oral family history and a gold cross that is meant to be part of the treasure. It is possible that this story was fabricated by an earlier descendant of the old ladies and told to them.

However I find this a plausible reason as to why the early hunts happened.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
(I won't go into detail but that story of '3 treasures being found' is not unique to Oak Island but can be found being contemporaneously told elsewhere).

The problem with that is it means that the '3' then lied to everyone else after them by tellling them they hadn't been able to recover the treasure. That does not explain the the Truro and Onslow attempts which was based on the information directly supplied by the '3'. It also reduces the whole thing to a rather dim and ongoing con that divides everyone on the island into two classes only: those who knew the treasure was found and perpetuate a lie and those being lied to.

Even if what you say is true then the searches being carried on subsequent and also now are then based on a deliberate lie and doesn't change that any theories about anywhere else are fantasy.

Last edited:

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
I'll also add this logic problem:

The assumption that the site was where a treasure was buried was made by the '3' based on their observations of (according to the promoted version of the story), a cleared circular depression over which hung a block and tackle.

If these observed features were true then that means whatever happened there did not happen too far in past for them to be still evident.

Therefore any theories about Templars, Romans, Vikings, etc are just fantasy and again do not align with the observations upon which the whole assumption that a treasure was there was based upon. Correct?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not disagreeing with your points as they are all valid.

I will add that the descendants version of the story does not have a block and tackle left on the tree just "marks" that appeared consistent with something like that having been hang around that branch in the past.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the whole my friend lead does not wash up hill over rocky ground. Especially when it is shaped like a cross.

It was found near the shore. Those structures went out to at least the level of the coffer dam they built.

'The washed up from the storm' does not seem plausible. Even if it was that does not answer all the other reasons why that piece of lead is not a significant Templar artifact.

The fact that not a single piece of evidence has been offered by the Laginas is of itself telling that even they do not believe there false hood.
Not that it matters but that Cross probably weighs less then 8 ounces and could easily be tossed around by a churning sea. By it being a cross shape probably makes it easier then something round... It's not like it is a 10 lb. cannon ball. At high tide or atleast during a storm the area it was found in would be a couple of feet under water based on the embankment of land close to it that was not washed out. It was found no where close to their structure they put in out towards the main coffer dam..

I do find it ironic that most everything Gary has found has been less then 1 foot below ground, yet they always talk about his high tech detectors.. Looks if if a middle of the road one would do just fine out there... But on the other hand I think most of these finds have been found without film crew present and they then go back and do it for filming tv show and no on other then State DOT Workers want to stand around and watch someone dig a 3 foot hole....

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But on the other hand I think most of these finds have been found without film crew present and they then go back and do it for filming tv show and no on other then State DOT Workers want to stand around and watch someone dig a 3 foot hole....

I have no direct knowledge that they never re-plant and re-dig, but one of the Drilling Down episodes revealed that they really do have a crew trailing the detector team for the day: 99.99% of the footage is discarded for one or two moments.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could pick on this show ad nauseum. Interested is season 9? Google earth has two satellite pics from this year.
Take a look to see the big hole, big equipment, big coffer dams, ... (insert sarcasm font)

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's episode consisted of the all time Top 10 Templar clues surrounding Oak Island. Unlike last week's all new stuff, this week was all review.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my friend what were the top 10 clues?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know if there,s any treasure or not,but I detest being left hanging just as "something"is about to happen,then when the show resumes,nothing really happened.I don,t watch just because of that.If the damn treasure,s there I hope they find it so the show can end and all this arguing about the treasure can end too.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#1.) Templars took a vow of poverty, and there are very poor clues that they ever visited America
#2.) Templars almost certainly used metal, and metal things have been found on Oak Island
#3.) It's the History Channel and the other choice was aliens

Not sure about the other seven.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
#1.) Templars took a vow of poverty, and there are very poor clues that they ever visited America
#2.) Templars almost certainly used metal, and metal things have been found on Oak Island
#3.) It's the History Channel and the other choice was aliens

Not sure about the other seven.
well, they burned me again. nothing to see here after all these years. i have sent them a bill for my time spent watching nothing. again.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So now we know why they have not found the treasure yet Charles Barkhouse is a Templar/Mason mole inserted in the crew to lead them down a false path....

It all makes sense now

qiBAnpg5T.jpg

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's drilling down episode recounted the Top 10 signs of treasure found on Oak Island. It began with the question: did all the searchers over the years lose their collective minds? It was an interesting presentation.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's drilling down episode recounted the Top 10 signs of treasure found on Oak Island. It began with the question: did all the searchers over the years lose their collective minds? It was an interesting presentation.
Thanks Mike

I have not seen the show (But may watch as I am very interested in the history of OI)

In my research I have seen nearly all the claims of evidence of treasure debunked, discredited or just shown to be totally without any actual evidence or fist hand accounts.

1. The 90 foot stone was not even mentioned in any documented report until almost 50 years later. Then the reports were of a stone with a few scratches /marks. The report of a code was not first reported until the 1890s in a document to raise money for a new treasure search. There is zero evidence the the professor who allegedly wrote the translation even existed.

2. The links from the gold chain that were reportedly found by the first Chappell in the 1890s were never even mentioned anywhere until his son was trying to raise money in the 1930s for his search. The original Chappell never told anyone (unless it was only his son) that such a chain was found.

The only "Actual" evidence I have ever come across of treasure being found on OI is the report given by the descendants and the following up research done by these people (There excellent blog was removed when they sold out to the Laginas as to much of their research showed the Laginas were lying)

But this is pretty "slim" evidence as it really is just hearsay and oral family legend. Still it is a shame that the only ever even alleged evidence of treasure found on OI has not been investigated by the Laginas.

So I would have to agree that treasure searchers seem to have been collectively mislead. That I think is what is so very amazing about the OI legend..

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the 90' Stone story may or may not be true as far as what any engraving on it said. My thinking is that there was atleast a stone of some sort found. It is in every timeline of the Oak Island Money Pit you will ever read about...I know that doesn't mean it is true just as the gold links are in virtually every timeline as well.. My guess is that there were local stories written about the stone true or not to keep the interest up as there were always someone digging for the treasure it seems like in those days based on the timelines.. Some timelines are more detailed then others of course.. Some on here have said that the original 3 weren't really young boys at the time but young men. Well some timelines differ on that as well.. Ironiclly John Smith in timeline below buys the lot that the MP is own but once Onslow Company leaves and the Truro Company forms a search team he is not on it but original member Anthony Vaughn is..

1795​

June
  • Daniel McInnis, age 13, discovers on Oak Island a clearing in the forest, with many old oak stumps surrounding a huge single oak tree with sawed-off limb and tackle block hung from it, about 16 feet off the ground. Below limb is noticeable bowl-shaped depression 13 feet in diameter suggesting something was buried long ago and the ground settled. (This account is based on newspaper letters and articles from 1861-64.) [1.190] [4.2] [5.19] [7.8]
  • (next day after discovery) Daniel McInnis returns to the site with friends John Smith (age 19) and Anthony Vaughan (age 16). They find remains of a road from the oak tree to the western end of the island. The three teenagers begin digging in the ground in the depression. At two feet down, a layer of flat stones is encountered. (Probably from Gold River, 2 miles away.) Digging below, they notice the sides of the 7-foot diameter shaft are hard clay, showing pick marks. At ten feet down, a platform of rotting oak logs is encountered, with ends embedded in the clay walls. Below the platform is a gap of two feet from soil settling. Another platform is encountered at twenty feet, with loose fill in between each platform. At 25 feet after several weeks digging, they quit work, refill the hole, and seek outside help. [1.190] [4.3] [5.21] [7.8]
June 26
  • After discovery of the pit area, John Smith buys Lot 18, the site of the pit, and builds a house. (He later buys lots 15, 16, 17, 19, and 20. He lives on the island until his death in 1857.) [1.190] [3.20] [4.5] [7.7,8]

1803​

• The three original diggers interest Simeon Lynds of Truro, related to Vaughan's father. Lynds forms the Onslow Company, appointing Colonel Robert Archibald director of operations. Investors include Sheriff Thomas Harris of Pictou and Captain David Archibald. [5.20] [7.12] (1802 [4.12] [5.20]) (1804 [1.191] [7.12])

1804​

• (Summer) The Onslow Syndicate begins excavations on the Pit. They find notches in the sides every ten feet down, where oak platforms were originally embedded. At 30 feet, charcoal is encountered, likely used in a ventilation furnace. At 40 feet, a lot of putty is encountered, likely used for sealing an air vent or to plug water leaks. At 50 feet, beach stones are encountered, likely used for backfilling the flood tunnel. At 60 feet, much coconut fibre is found, perhaps used for rope, or caulking with putty. At the 90 foot level, a large stone slab weighing 175-500 pounds measuring 24-36 inches by 12-16 inches is found, possibly with an encoded inscription facing down. Also at 90 feet, water is slowly seeping through the clay. At the 93 foot level, the ground is probed with an iron bar. At 98 feet, it strikes a another wood platform, the first not at 10 foot spacing. The extent of the wood is bounded by the sides of the pit. Digging is halted for the day. (A university professor later supposedly deciphers the rock message as "forty feet below two million pounds lie buried". The stone disappears in the 1930s.) [1.31,191] [5.32] [7.15] (1803 [4.13])
  • Returning a day or two later after digging to 93 feet, water has filled to a height of 60 feet (33 feet below surface). Bailing night and day is ineffective. Colonel Archibald temporarily halts work. [1.191] [4.16] [5.36] [7.15]
  • (Autumn) The Onslow Company pays Mr. Mosher 80 pounds to run a water pump. Water is pumped from the pit down to 90 feet, then the pump bursts. Work is stopped for the year. [4.16] [7.15]

1805​

• (Summer) Onslow Company workers dig a new shaft 14 feet south-east of the main shaft, down to 110 feet, then start on a horizonal tunnel toward the main pit. After 12 feet, water floods in, raising water level to 65 feet in both pits. With funds exhausted, the company abandons the treasure hunt. [1.191] [4.18] [5.37] [7.15]

1810​

• (year unknown) John Smith puts the engraved stone in his house as part of the fireplace. [4.20]

1845​

• A new company is formed, the Truro Company, including Anthony Vaughan, Dr. David Barnes Lynds, John Gammell, Adams Tupper, and Robert Creelman. Manager is Jotham McCully and foreman is James Pitblado. [5.39] [7.22] (formed in 1849 [4.25])

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only "Actual" evidence I have ever come across of treasure being found on OI is the report given by the descendants and the following up research done by these people (There excellent blog was removed when they sold out to the Laginas as to much of their research showed the Laginas were lying)

Don't forget the rhodolite garnet gem found on the Anthony Graves plot, although being found near the surface doesn't indicate vast buried treasure anywhere on the island.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread