OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GAL-1:Gold Plated Button​

Gary Drayton's discovery of a gold-plated military officer's button joins other military finds as evidence that Oak Island's subterranean structures and anomalies could be the work of 18th-century British military.

button.jpg

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it interesting and amusing at times.
I think that a sacrifice needs made to end the curse. Maybe the annoying expert detectorist covered in Bobby dazzlers ???
I nominate the announcer, and/or the script-writer. Even when something potentially legitimate is found or discussed, the horrible script and voice-over make it sound like Ancient Aliens!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it was a fragment, assuming that they measured the alloy accurately it's hard to explain how the fragment ended up on the metal.
It was not really a fragment is was a microscopic trace at best. It was magnified over 10,000 times and was no way big enough to conclude anything much. If that piece of old metal had touched that button (or something similar) this could of been more then enough to leave such a tiny trace. It may have rubbed against a gold ring from a previous searcher. It could of come from anywhere as that whole area is back-fill from hundreds of years of people digging up the ground and then pushing the spoils back into the holes. None of it at the level they found that trace in is virgin soil.

More to the point is why they did not try to analysie the gold cross? Or why did they not analyse the gold on the button they found? One would think they would want to see if it was from the same gold....

It is difficult to even reach a speculative theory of how this trace could be related to buried treasure. If gold was there they would find the gold. If that had been part of a box that gold had been buried in and the gold had been recovered why would the box still be 90+ feet under ground.

Last edited:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nominate the announcer, and/or the script-writer. Even when something potentially legitimate is found or discussed, the horrible script and voice-over make it sound like Ancient Aliens!
An ox shoe ? Could it be ? A trail to the money pit ?. 😆

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is difficult to even reach a speculative theory of how this trace could be related to buried treasure. If gold was there they would find the gold. If that had been part of a box that gold had been buried in and the gold had been recovered why would the box still be 90+ feet under ground.

I would have to give the show kudos at least for now: they only referred to the Chappell Vault as a brief site look rather than breathlessly classifying the fragment as part of the vault. (I just like using the term Chappell Vault every chance I get because it's funny but not because I believe it.)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark my words.....The CCH wont let this continue much longer. The brothers are getting too close to changing a LOT of "Fake" history we all have been taught.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me that folks are much more willing to embrace new history than give up beliefs purely based on faith. Heck, only 200 years ago most Christians thought the world was created around the year 4,000 BC.

I don't know anyone who disagrees with the datings at L'Anse aux Meadows being 500 years pre-Columbus or that new findings put settlement in the Americas 10,000 years before the Clovis People (not long ago thought to be the first).

Depends which history you think will be re-written. The "good" stuff or the simple stuff they start you off with in grade school. You don't pick up much good thermodynamics or economics in grade school, either. But that doesn't mean it's unknown elsewhere. They give you something to start building on - but you are never done. Or shouldn't be, anyhow. New answers mean more questions. And new proof that doesn't "fit" means the questions have to be reviewed and theories revised.

No one takes what is happening on Oak Island seriously enough to believe the show will "shock the world". Like the "Roman Sword" bought off Ebay.IA a few years before it was "found" off Oak Island. Their meatball methods belie any archgeological or anthroplogical credibility. They are going through the motions of looking for treasure for the benefit of TV, not investing in our knowledge of history.

Last edited:

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found it amusing, that after the metal object was analyzed to have a microscopic bit of rose gold with it, that the narrator Robert Clotworthy henceforth referred to the artifact as "the gold object".

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode they find a metal piece in a money pit drill core containing the same type of Rose Gold as the previous 'Chappell Vault' fragment contained. Did a searcher's ring rub off onto every piece of metal they touched?

Since there is still a stop dig order, they begin a new project to sift through the Dunfield spoils for missed artifacts such as wood.

There is a rumor that since last week's episode which revealed the stop dig order, the CCH, FIrst Nations, and Canadian government have been targets of many demands to stop interfering with the dig, and Laird should be fired. (never mind that the actual work has stopped for the season!) I believe the show has over-dramatized the stop dig event- it would be serious if it lasts too long but I believe the other archeologists will approve the work to continue under research-grade conditions.

No new Templar theories this week!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode they find a metal piece in a money pit drill core containing the same type of Rose Gold as the previous 'Chappell Vault' fragment contained. Did a searcher's ring rub off onto every piece of metal they touched?
Who knows... With such microscopic traces the metals probably had the same origin so the gold trace probably did too. Still as said previously it is difficult to come up even with a speculative theory how these traces could relate to treasure being buried there.

Since there is still a stop dig order, they begin a new project to sift through the Dunfield spoils for missed artifacts such as wood.
Ha ha.. I wonder if they can find any old wood..:tongue3::tongue3:

There is a rumor that since last week's episode which revealed the stop dig order, the CCH, FIrst Nations, and Canadian government have been targets of many demands to stop interfering with the dig, and Laird should be fired. (never mind that the actual work has stopped for the season!) I believe the show has over-dramatized the stop dig event- it would be serious if it lasts too long but I believe the other archeologists will approve the work to continue under research-grade conditions.
Yep.. Probably was actually a convenient excuse to say why they found nothing... What happened to the ancient piece of wood they found earlier. Have they done any further research on this? Now they can blame others for why the treasure was not found… Their whole line of reasoning about those stone roads being treasure related was so far fetched… Who builds a stone road to where they hide a treasure…

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the show has over-dramatized the stop dig event- it would be serious if it lasts too long but I believe the other archeologists will approve the work to continue under research-grade conditions.
Watching people survey and lay out grids, take loads of photographs and make drawings, then proceed with brushes, dental picks and, maybe, small trowels is hardly riveting television. Archeologists are a very patient lot unless they have to rush to beat construction demands.

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Rick and Marty making over $20,000 an episode, who needs to find a load of silver?
$27Million each.
They better be making that kind of money because I seriously doubt they will retain much of an actual treasure if found. Even with agreements from the Canadian Government, Spain, England, France, Portugal, Et al., will just claim it's their "National Heritage" and good bye treasure, or good bye treasure after fighting ownership in courts for the next 7-10 years while spending millions in legal fees.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their whole line of reasoning about those stone roads being treasure related was so far fetched… Who builds a stone road to where they hide a treasure…
I agree about the stone road leading somewhere meaningful is far fetched. But on the other hand, who builds a stone road on an island in Nova Scotia anyway? It looks like it was built to operate for centuries.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yarmouth Bay and Oak Island were the points of receiving ships and ship departing back for home.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the stone road leading somewhere meaningful is far fetched. But on the other hand, who builds a stone road on an island in Nova Scotia anyway? It looks like it was built to operate for centuries.
To me the most likely 'guess' is something like J.Steeles theory. The only people that build stone roads in out of way places is industry that needs to transport things. Given the road is on that swampy area I find it plausible that if timber/trees were being transported to tar kilns/saw mill etc and you had access to slave labor then laying a stone road over the swampy ground seems plausible.

But like everything else with OI that is just guessing.....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching people survey and lay out grids, take loads of photographs and make drawings, then proceed with brushes, dental picks and, maybe, small trowels is hardly riveting television. Archeologists are a very patient lot unless they have to rush to beat construction demands.
yep.. Also the interesting evidence that was found is not treasure related but of habitation by the First Nations people. This is not even something the Laginas can spin into possible hiders of treasure I would think.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mik Maq Indians protected the Knights Templar Treasures on Oak Island for over 370 years until most of it was recovered by the Freemasons in 1770. Why stop an archaeological dig that is being carried out by professional archaeologists is really ridiculous. Let them do their job because no one else will. I have found 2 frontier forts and an important cemetery of the Ward Family in Lynchburg, Virginia. After Contact with the Virginia State Archaeologists, "We have no funding to check these areas out. They don't have the funds and they won't let anyone else with licensed archaeologists check the areas out either. Catch 22. Now the Lagina brothers are finding out what I have been going through treasure hunting for the past 60 years. Freaking RED TAPE.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the Lagina brothers are finding out what I have been going through treasure hunting for the past 60 years. Freaking RED TAPE.
lol....

There certainly are lots of obstacles to digging up the ground to find historical things of value. I imagine they come from all the looting of historic sites that used to happen back in the day. A significant part of the British Museum holdings are really looted treasure from other countries.

It is a difficult balance for Governments... However I do agree Canada seems to have gone overboard on OI. Given that people have been digging the place up for 200+ years at least...

Best of luck with your treasure hunting my friend...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread