Season 9

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The producers and the actors realize that they are running out of fictional storylines and the viewing audience (at least those who thought the fictional story of oak island was real) have started to figure out that the show is a scripted fictional drama about a long running hoax.

They need to bring in new writers and have them find something other than wood everywhere. They get as excited about the rotten tree stump as the buckle underneath it.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would doubt that very much. The Laginas have devoted 20 years of their lives to this, and they and Craig Tester aren't getting any younger. I think Marty in particular was ready to get off the Oak Island train several years ago, and when he actually looked happy earlier this season, I thought maybe they were really going to find something with at least historical value. Now he looks like he's in hell again. Rick, of course, will die still digging on the island.
I am surprised you can still believe this really. They are making buckets of money from the show. That is why they are still there. I struggle to believe anyone can still think a massive treasure is buried in the money pit area and they simply have not dug in the correct place yet. They have dug/drilled everywhere and not found a single piece of evidence of treasure being buried in the area.

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
I am surprised you can still believe this really. They are making buckets of money from the show. That is why they are still there. I struggle to believe anyone can still think a massive treasure is buried in the money pit area and they simply have not dug in the correct place yet. They have dug/drilled everywhere and not found a single piece of evidence of treasure being buried in the area.

Why would I believe that Marty Lagina wants out? Why would you believe that a 65 year old multi-millionaire with his fingers in a boatload of other pies wants to waste any more time in a "fetid swamp"? I doubt Prometheus is paying the millions for all the equipment, drilling, consultants, and other resources that are thrown at the island every year, so he's still on the hook for that. Marty's looked miserable for about 4-5 seasons now.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would I believe that Marty Lagina wants out? Why would you believe that a 65 year old multi-millionaire with his fingers in a boatload of other pies wants to waste any more time in a "fetid swamp"? I doubt Prometheus is paying the millions for all the equipment, drilling, consultants, and other resources that are thrown at the island every year, so he's still on the hook for that. Marty's looked miserable for about 4-5 seasons now.
You are certainly entitled to your view..

But as you said yourself why would Marty do this if he was not getting a return from it. Surely you do not believe that Marty is financing this show from his own pocket and loosing money in the belief that they will find treasure and recoup their losses when they find the treasure. As you said he is a clever man.

I have not watched the last 2 seasons (with the exception of one episode) I participate here because I have always been fascinated in the history of the treasure search on OI ever since first reading of it at High School. The 200 hundred + year old search is amazing. I have done quite extensive secondary research on OI myself.

The best explanation I have seen offered for the things found on Oak Island is offered by J.Steele in her book "Oak Island Mystery solved" I can highly recommend this book if you want to see a non treasure explanation for the things found on OI.

If the Laginas were actually interested in showing the history they would of invited this lady on to explain her theory (She is a local historian that has been interested in OI for much of her life and has done extensive research on the Island).

There are many examples of the Laginas telling lies or missleading viewers in their show to suit their narrative ie finding the 90ft stone in the bookshop when it is well reported they purchased it of a person who claimed it was the stone from the bookshop. It was known about and discussed here at least one season before they went back to the bookshop (a place they had searched previously) and 'found' the stone.

When they did the pattern drilling in season 5 they showed there was nothing of value buried in the area as evidence would of shown up. They deliberately do not show maps of where they have drilled in total anymore as many of the holes they are now drilling are on top of the previously drilled smaller holes.

I do not believe anyone associated with the making of this show believes treasure is still buried on OI. It is a scripted reality TV show drama at best is my view.

Still I am not seeking to argue with you or change your mind.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't watched it in years. I just come here. The lack of that irritating narrator is so refreshing.
You could of fooled me.With all your negative posts in this thread,and you don't even watch it ?:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But as you said yourself why would Marty do this if he was not getting a return from it. Surely you do not believe that Marty is financing this show from his own pocket and loosing money in the belief that they will find treasure and recoup their losses when they find the treasure. As you said he is a clever man.
In the beginning it was exactly being financed from their own pocket. There was great debate about money available when the first can was dropped. And even then they knew they were being driven by the desire to solve the story and not much chance of a payback.

But now it's more as you say above: without blinking they're planning to drop 4 10-foot cans. (Unless the hammer grab brings up a gold chalice on can #1.)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could of fooled me.With all your negative posts in this thread,and you don't even watch it ?:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:
Why? Have I missed anything?

Been nine years and my original opinion still is in the lead for possible outcome. Nada. Zip. Never was.

The only reason I started in this sub-forum is because I was and am pissed that the "History Channel" seems to be wasting the opportunity to actually produce historical programming rather than junk fictional "reality". We need an additional definition of History to use like the distinction between Astronomy and Astrology.

Ah! "The Twistory Channel"

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t watched the show for years either after quickly figuring out it was scripted fiction in an attempt to revive the long running hoax.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the story alluring since I read about it in my school library in a National Geographic magazine 20+ years ago. Was there anything there, could have been (I think Sam Ball found something, but that's my personal opinion). Obviously there was a lot of activity on this island in the past. I honestly had issues from the beginning with the Blankenship side of the operation. These guys put a can down in an area where they thought something was and had video evidence. Then they somehow get a a drill bar stuck in the pipe and no one could get passed it. Then they get that out only to find a metal plate on the bottom. When the diver finally gets down the can and the second shaft they find absolutely nothing. I thought they were just scamming the Lagina's to get some cash back. Now here we are in Season 9 with no Blankenship involvement, obviously the dad passed but where is the son?

I thought from Day 1 Marty was out to debunk the myth, but after years of searching I think his inner businessman saw something of a business opportunity too good to pass up. He can make a show and then drive up tourism in the area, also get people interested in history. To him its a Win/Win/Win. Plus he was able to recoup his original investment plus interest.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now here we are in Season 9 with no Blankenship involvement, obviously the dad passed but where is the son?

Dave sold his shares and retired last year; they had a Drilling Down episode where they interviewed him at his residence.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are certainly entitled to your view..

I have not watched the last 2 seasons (with the exception of one episode) I participate here because I have always been fascinated in the history of the treasure search on OI ever since first reading of it at High School. The 200 hundred + year old search is amazing. I have done quite extensive secondary research on OI myself.

The best explanation I have seen offered for the things found on Oak Island is offered by J.Steele in her book "Oak Island Mystery solved" I can highly recommend this book if you want to see a non treasure explanation for the things found on OI.

If the Laginas were actually interested in showing the history they would of invited this lady on to explain her theory (She is a local historian that has been interested in OI for much of her life and has done extensive research on the Island).

There are many examples of the Laginas telling lies or missleading viewers in their show to suit their narrative ie finding the 90ft stone in the bookshop when it is well reported they purchased it of a person who claimed it was the stone from the bookshop. It was known about and discussed here at least one season before they went back to the bookshop (a place they had searched previously) and 'found' the stone.

When they did the pattern drilling in season 5 they showed there was nothing of value buried in the area as evidence would of shown up. They deliberately do not show maps of where they have drilled in total anymore as many of the holes they are now drilling are on top of the previously drilled smaller holes.

I do not believe anyone associated with the making of this show believes treasure is still buried on OI. It is a scripted reality TV show drama at best is my view.

Still I am not seeking to argue with you or change your mind.
I believe J. Steele passed away this week. (December 6) At least I saw mention of that being the case. Don't really know for sure?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe J. Steele passed away this week. (December 6) At least I saw mention of that being the case. Don't really know for sure?
Thank you for passing that on

This lady has offered a lot of time and research to the Oak Island Mystery.

My sympathies to her family

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave sold his shares and retired last year; they had a Drilling Down episode where they interviewed him at his residence
Just like his dad, Dave figured out long ago that the hoax could not be maintained forever and that eventually investor dollars will fade away....

DawnNC

Oct 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't watched it in years. I just come here. The lack of that irritating narrator is so refreshing.
So irritating! LOL drives me bonkers. I think that narrator is meant for the kids that watch the show.. has to be!

DawnNC

Oct 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me the CCH is afraid the search on Oak Island is getting Too close to finding the real truth .:(
...Watch the final couple minutes of last night show( where they talk about future episodes)...:(
I think it’s a spin. The Laginas are making it seem like this is forced on them but they probably want to end at a season 10 and build a resort on the island. Now that it’s currently famous again it will take in top dollar. Most areas like that require an archeological dig before building anyway.

I can see the fancy 5star cottages and boat slips already!

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 seasons deep and still nothing in the way of actual treasure. Head scratcher for sure since better shows couldn’t make it past a handful of seasons LOL. Black Bart could have a show for 30 seasons.

CaptainChance

Aug 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are seeing the set-up for the end of the show. They now have an exit strategy with the Government preventing them from digging. I noticed during the last show they were concerned with speeding things up, as if they know next year's permissions may be nixed. I'm assuming they will drop the 10ft. shafts and find nothing. The only true way to end this mystery is to open pit the entire money pit area down to bedrock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions