Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are seeing the set-up for the end of the show. They now have an exit strategy with the Government preventing them from digging. I noticed during the last show they were concerned with speeding things up, as if they know next year's permissions may be nixed. I'm assuming they will drop the 10ft. shafts and find nothing. The only true way to end this mystery is to open pit the entire money pit area down to bedrock.
That was what I wanted to see since Day 1. That honeycomb idea made sense to me, but it wouldn’t be cheap. Open a big pit would have to be more economical.

Reactions: bjw

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week Billy has a cool new toy - with an 80 foot reach!

They find an English topper adze on lot 4 and have last week's lot 4 metal finds analyzed. They do not contain gold particles, unlike the fragments of the Chappell Vault. They are still working to validate Zena Halpern's map.

Billy starts to turn up wood pieces of something - a wharf or the Spanish Galleon?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are wasting time in the swamp. I believe many of the ship parts they are finding are debris from storm-wrecked ships over hundreds of years and deposited on the island. Hurricanes (and their debris) often end up in that vicinity.
The random stuff they're finding is old under hundreds of years of deposits. That implies that hurricanes don't deposit debris in the swamp during modern storms.

It will still be interesting to excavate the 'Spanish Galleon' to answer that part of the puzzle.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Spanish Galleon. Only hard packed dirt. They proved that years ago.

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
Next week is the last episode this year, then the History Channel is showing a new season of Beyond Oak Island starting in January. Anyone know when The Curse of Oak Island is returning? Was this only a 9-episode season?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next week is the last episode this year, then the History Channel is showing a new season of Beyond Oak Island starting in January. Anyone know when The Curse of Oak Island is returning? Was this only a 9-episode season?
I thought they were dropping 4 x 10 foot cans. If they have not done this yet must be more episodes or is this for season 10?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably Season 10. They have lost me. I am going after Real Treasure not mud, wood and swamp.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they were dropping 4 x 10 foot cans. If they have not done this yet must be more episodes or is this for season 10?
The scuttlebutt is that work on Oak Island continued up through November. And the viewership numbers seem to remain high. So I'm hopeful that they'll continue with a typical number of episodes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to hijack auto DVR settings by naming the new show "Beyond Oak Island" instead of "Quest for treasure in some new location".

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
This year was based on a pattern drilling program with the idea that the caissons would then be used on worthwhile target areas. The program was a dud only turning up wood and trash so didn't produce the hoped for targets.

The one caisson sunk went into a target area that was plotted as the Money Pit site. The equipment then sat idle for a period before they packed the lot up and left the island.

The excuse that 'no one knows exactly where the Money Pit is' isn't true as many know. Over the history there was many surveys, plans, drill holes and datum points recorded that marked its position so it was always known where it was.

Once they dug into it and found nothing then there isn't anywhere left to go except home.

Attachments

• Dan hedden shaft.png
    Dan hedden shaft.png
    485.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Money pit map crop.png
    Money pit map crop.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 76
  • mmnscroptight.jpg
    mmnscroptight.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 61
  • plottings.jpg
    plottings.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
The scuttlebutt is that work on Oak Island continued up through November. And the viewership numbers seem to remain high. So I'm hopeful that they'll continue with a typical number of episodes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to hijack auto DVR settings by naming the new show "Beyond Oak Island" instead of "Quest for treasure in some new location".
The show isn't "new". Beyond Oak Island's first season was last year. Matty Blake, like a poor man's Josh Gates, goes to existing searches and digs, and he interviews the treasure hunters, and Rick and Marty provide a few minutes of commentary. One of the more interesting epi's last year was about Marty and Craig losing a lot of money in the Global Marine vs Florida disagreement.

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropping 4 x 10 foot cans into an area that has been completely dug up over the past 200 years with absolutely nothing found just proves the hoax will continue as long as advertising dollars continue to roll in.

Reactions: bjw
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropping 4 x 10 foot cans into an area that has been completely dug up over the past 200 years with absolutely nothing found just proves the hoax will continue as long as advertising dollars continue to roll in.
Yep... It seems like a massive waste of money. If the small drill holes found nothing why would a bigger hole find anything?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... It seems like a massive waste of money. If the small drill holes found nothing why would a bigger hole find anything?
That's unknown. Often people suggest that a single 200X200 would definitively answer the question. But the probability drops as more of the area is honeycombed and nothing is found but fragments of the Chappell Vault.

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's unknown. Often people suggest that a single 200X200 would definitively answer the question. But the probability drops as more of the area is honeycombed and nothing is found but fragments of the Chappell Vault.
Chappell did not find a vault. He too made up a tale to milk investors out of money.

100% of everything the laginas have found is scrap from previous hoax promoters or items common with typical human habitation.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "legend" of Chapell vault find like most things to do with the money pit has very limited evidence.

At best he found a void and a piece of wood that seemed to be the corner of something like a box. It is also claimed that there was concrete with the sample.

The story of the gold chain that was "allegedly" found by Chapel when he discovered the vault in the 1890s was not first reported until the 1930s when his son was trying to raise funds for his own search. There is no evidence of the original Chapel telling anyone about this find (with the possible exception of his son).

It seems very questionable that the original Chapel found what he thought was a treasure vault with evidence of gold and then just gave up the search and did not even try to drill any additional holes etc to see if there was more treasure. The story that he found this, run out of money and gave up is difficult to believe. If he has found gold he could of used this to raise more funds. He did not he just gave up straight after the alleged discovery.

As with the 'possible' concrete. Given that concrete was not really in existence until the 1800s . Modern concrete wasn't first discovered until the 1790s it is hard to see how concrete could be there unless it was from earlier searchers. The early concretes used by the Romans etc were very different from what modern concrete was like. However there are many natural soil formations that appear like concrete.

A more likely explanation is Chapel drilled into the side of an earlier searchers shaft...

auximenes

Greenie
Apr 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only true way to end this mystery is to open pit the entire money pit area down to bedrock.
They've been putzing around for 10 years. They could have just dug the whole place up layer by layer long ago for less money if they had just skipped the obsession with drilling. Also, when they find what they think might be a collapsed shaft, why don't they put a can down to that depth then start excavating horizontally to follow it and prove it. They can shore it up as they go, just like any other mining excavation.
The excuse that 'no one knows exactly where the Money Pit is' isn't true as many know. Over the history there was many surveys, plans, drill holes and datum points recorded that marked its position so it was always known where it was.
The writing along the right side of that image of the Hedden Map looks like the writing on the Zena map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread