Season 9

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
Whatever happened to that gold cross the three sisters brought on the show? I thought that would have been a dead giveaway to the origins of the treasure
The McGinnis sisters brought it back to the island, where it was examined by the show's expert, who was presented as a "respected antiquities expert," but in reality is Dr Lori, a television personality and appraiser with her own stage show, "Dr. Lori's Antiques Appraisal Comedy Show." (S04,E15)

Dr Lori looked at and declared that it was 22-24K rose gold cast in a mold, from the Spanish Colonial Empire, 1550-1700, and had once contained emeralds which had been removed. She could see where the emeralds had been "knocked out" of it.

Comments:
A. There is no such thing as 24K rose gold because by definition, rose gold is an alloy of yellow gold and copper +/- silver. Pure rose-colored gold does not exist because it has to contain copper. The copper gives the gold the pinkish tone. Modern jewelers will tell you that rose gold jewelry with a 24K stamp is a fake, and current manufacturing processes top out at 18K for rose gold. Every photo I've ever seen of this cross looks like yellow gold anyway.

B. Assuming there are actually scratches on the cross where stones had been removed, how in the hell would anyone "know" that they were emeralds, and not jade or something else?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a reality show nothing more. The only treasure hunter on the reality show, "The Curse of Oak Island," is Gary Drayton. He uses the cash from the show for expenses to recover his treasures from the Gold Coast and all around the World.
Because you want to recover a treasure or solve a mystery does not make one a treasure hunter. They are only financiers and organizers of the Oak Island Tours business.
And yes Rose Gold has to have at least 20 to 25 percent copper or a combination of copper and tin and other metals to make it Rose Gold or Gold with Red Tone Color.
If and I emphasize IF the three boys that found the Shaft or Hole really found three chest of gold there would have been more of the treasure left than one small crucifix. The ladies got paid for being on the Reality Show and they were paid far more than the crucifix was worth so why not purchase or even say that this crucifix was found in a treasure chest on Oak Island.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
As stated in an earlier post you are very welcome to your opinion.

If the title "Hoax" (a humorous or malicious deception.) is the problem I tend to agree that this word is not really the most appropriate way of describing the history of the search.

I agree that many of the previous searchers must of believed that there was a possibility/likelihood of treasure being found as they were not making money from their search. I have no trouble accepting that previous searchers mislead investors to gain the necessary funds to conduct their searches.

However, given that in the 200+ years of searching nothing has been found (or at least publicly disclosed) that suggests or supports treasure being buried in the money pit area.

At some point even the "true believers" need to accept that no treasure is buried there and further searching is just for TV entertainment value and not a serious attempt to find treasure.
The brothers are making a good deal of money! Why not keep the hoax going! They haven't had to worry about money in a long time. And don't forget they have another hoax coming in January!.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brothers are making a good deal of money! Why not keep the hoax going! They haven't had to worry about money in a long time. And don't forget they have another hoax coming in January!.
That is the truth. If you go back and watch the first three seasons. The brothers hardly had the money to get a water drill out on Oak Island. Now.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple search shows Marty's "Net Worth" is 100 Million. A FAR cry from the couple million made from the show

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Net Worth and Tax Worth are two completely different things. Net Worth $100 Million Tax Worth $15 Million.

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
A simple search shows Marty's "Net Worth" is 100 Million. A FAR cry from the couple million made from the show
He sold his first energy company for $58M, now owns an alternative energy company, plus the vineyard, a bunch of other businesses, a boatload of real estate, and God only knows what else. His salary from the show is just chump change and doesn't even cover his travel expenses, let alone financing any of the exploration.
It's a reality show nothing more. The only treasure hunter on the reality show, "The Curse of Oak Island," is Gary Drayton. He uses the cash from the show for expenses to recover his treasures from the Gold Coast and all around the World.
Because you want to recover a treasure or solve a mystery does not make one a treasure hunter. They are only financiers and organizers of the Oak Island Tours business.
And yes Rose Gold has to have at least 20 to 25 percent copper or a combination of copper and tin and other metals to make it Rose Gold or Gold with Red Tone Color.
If and I emphasize IF the three boys that found the Shaft or Hole really found three chest of gold there would have been more of the treasure left than one small crucifix. The ladies got paid for being on the Reality Show and they were paid far more than the crucifix was worth so why not purchase or even say that this crucifix was found in a treasure chest on Oak Island.

The McGinnis ladies said in OI Connection (Chap. 1) that the three men found a few items while they were digging that were put into three small boxes, one for each of them. Somehow that got translated into treasure chests full of gold.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His salary from the show is just chump change and doesn't even cover his travel expenses, let alone financing any of the exploration.

Correct, his salary per episode is relatively "small", but the percentage of revenue he receives from advertising run during said show can be significant.

Also, when you have a long running show like this, that is syndicated and re-distributed on other forms of media (DVD's, Nefflix, Youtube etc) and subsequent re-runs, you earn a significant amount.

And lastly, they earn a significant amount from sponsors who are willing to pay large sums for you to represent their company or product.

Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The McGinnis sisters brought it back to the island, where it was examined by the show's expert, who was presented as a "respected antiquities expert," but in reality is Dr Lori, a television personality and appraiser with her own stage show, "Dr. Lori's Antiques Appraisal Comedy Show." (S04,E15)

Dr Lori looked at and declared that it was 22-24K rose gold cast in a mold, from the Spanish Colonial Empire, 1550-1700, and had once contained emeralds which had been removed. She could see where the emeralds had been "knocked out" of it.

Comments:
A. There is no such thing as 24K rose gold because by definition, rose gold is an alloy of yellow gold and copper +/- silver. Pure rose-colored gold does not exist because it has to contain copper. The copper gives the gold the pinkish tone. Modern jewelers will tell you that rose gold jewelry with a 24K stamp is a fake, and current manufacturing processes top out at 18K for rose gold. Every photo I've ever seen of this cross looks like yellow gold anyway.

B. Assuming there are actually scratches on the cross where stones had been removed, how in the hell would anyone "know" that they were emeralds, and not jade or something else?
Yeah looks like yellow gold to me as well.

Reactions: bjw

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021
Correct, his salary per episode is relatively "small", but the percentage of revenue he receives from advertising run during said show can be significant and you forgot to include that, an easy oversight.

Also, when you have a long running show like this, that is syndicated and re-distributed on other forms of media (DVD's, Nefflix, Youtube etc) and subsequent re-runs, you earn a significant amount which you forgot to mention.

And lastly, they earn a significant amount from sponsors who arSoe willing to pay large sums for you to represent their company or product which you also forgot to include in his overall compensation.
Sorry, I should have been clearer that I replying to the post about the millions the Laginas were making from $20K/episode. Do you know how much or what percentage the Laginas are making from ads/sponsors? How much is going to Prometheus and/or History?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I should have been clearer that I replying to the post about the millions the Laginas were making from $20K/episode. Do you know how much or what percentage the Laginas are making from ads/sponsors? How much is going to Prometheus and/or History?
My fault, i edited out the snarkiness. I don't know the details of their contract.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call it what ever you want.Here are the Facts on "Net Worth"
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/networth.asp
Well here is Marty Lagina his biography and his net worth. Only $4 Million not $100 Million. https://networthpost.org/marty-lagina-net-worth/ Here is Rick Lagina's Networth and biography. When he first started the Oak Island Show his Networth was only less than $300,000. https://networthpost.org/rick-lagina-net-worth/

So it appears Marty and Rick both have accumulated over $2.5 Million to $3 Million Dollars each from the "Curse of Oak Island" and "Beyond Oak Island" All of their wealth coming from Television at $20,000 a show amounts to $2.8 Million each.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is Marty Lagina his biography and his net worth. Only $4 Million not $100 Million. https://networthpost.org/marty-lagina-net-worth/ Here is Rick Lagina's Networth and biography. When he first started the Oak Island Show his Networth was only less than $300,000. https://networthpost.org/rick-lagina-net-worth/

So it appears Marty and Rick both have accumulated over $2.5 Million to $3 Million Dollars each from the "Curse of Oak Island" and "Beyond Oak Island" All of their wealth coming from Television at $20,000 a show amounts to $2.8 Million each.
WE can play THIS game all day...Net worth 100 Million
>> https://wealthygorilla.com/marty-lagina-net-worth/

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless, the hoax continues and not one piece of evidence has been found in over two hundred years indicating that a treasure was ever buried on the island.

The laginas also own the hoax promotion company, “oak island tours” as well.

Seems that after they purchased and took down the factual website that debunked all of their fake treasure claims, they are purchasing everything intellectual or property wise related to the long running hoax in order to cover their tracks.

Kate~ScienceNerd

Dec 3, 2021

Seriously? Marty and Craig designed the technology to allow extraction of natural gas from Michigan's shale fields and their first company was worth a fortune. Marty sold that for $58M. He now owns major stakes in 3 more energy companies, a vineyard, a bunch of other smaller companies, a ton of real estate, and he and his wife are benefactors for a number of Traverse City charities.
Regardless, the hoax continues and not one piece of evidence has been found in over two hundred years indicating that a treasure was ever buried on the island.

The laginas also own the hoax promotion company, “oak island tours” as well.

Seems that after they purchased and took down the factual website that debunked all of their fake treasure claims, they are purchasing everything intellectual or property wise related to the long running hoax in order to cover their tracks.
Oak Island Tours was a company created and owned by Dan Blankenship and David Tobias c. 1986. The Laginas purchased Tobias' share and his land, followed by Dan's later on. The Laginas kept the name Oak Island Tours as their business. Why is it a shock that they own the business and the land required to continue exploration on the island?

Reactions: RTR

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shock. It fits their narrative.

Owning all pertaining to hoax island allows them to continue to perpetuate the hoax for a while longer to the unknowing masses who have not yet or just discovered the hoax island legend.

100% of everything they have “found” was found by previous searchers and then reburied as trash yet the lagina’s make each bucket of old debris a “new find”.

Just as with the smiths cove nonsense. That entire area was dug up to deep depths and NO flood tunnels were ever found.

The “mysterious wooden structure” they have been fixated on for many episodes was found and documented long ago as a common wharf/shipping operation structure.

There was a website that had a wealth of documention, photos, etc. that 100% debunked the lagina’a as well as Blankenship’s claims……but the lagina’s purchased it last year and took it down.

Dan Blankenship in a senior moment on one of the episodes even admitted there was nothing on the island. Of course that segment was edited out on re-broadcasts and on demand.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No shock. It fits their narrative.

Owning all pertaining to hoax island allows them to continue to perpetuate the hoax for a while longer to the unknowing masses who have not yet or just discovered the hoax island legend.

100% of everything they have “found” was found by previous searchers and then reburied as trash yet the lagina’s make each bucket of old debris a “new find”.

Just as with the smiths cove nonsense. That entire area was dug up to deep depths and NO flood tunnels were ever found.

The “mysterious wooden structure” they have been fixated on for many episodes was found and documented long ago as a common wharf/shipping operation structure.

There was a website that had a wealth of documention, photos, etc. that 100% debunked the lagina’a as well as Blankenship’s claims……but the lagina’s purchased it last year and took it down.

Dan Blankenship in a senior moment on one of the episodes even admitted there was nothing on the island. Of course that segment was edited out on re-broadcasts and on demand.
hi buddy, hey, if they ever do find anything please send me an email. my wife has forbid the watching of this enterprise in our home. she even used the parental lock on the history channel. she has said to me quote, you are a double degree mechanical engineer and that i am way to educated to be taken in by those two. soooo, if anything is ever found and it seems real please contact me so i can rejoin the discussion. oh well, back to reloading my 8 round mec-gars and wilsons. later, kevin.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi buddy, hey, if they ever do find anything please send me an email. my wife has forbid the watching of this enterprise in our home. she even used the parental lock on the history channel. she has said to me quote, you are a double degree mechanical engineer and that i am way to educated to be taken in by those two. soooo, if anything is ever found and it seems real please contact me so i can rejoin the discussion. oh well, back to reloading my 8 round mec-gars and wilsons. later, kevin.
I personally prefer McCormick Powermags. Thicker gage feed lips.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a deal at my place. If she can watch housewives of his sisters rearend I can watch the Oak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread