Seated Liberty Dime 1875s and US Civil War Navy Token 1864

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my third ever seated liberty dime and my second ever Civil War token. I'm usually a colonial hunter but have to admit was nice to see the Nox 800 with 11" coil read a solid 23 while giving the clear silver tone. It was 6" deep under small oak roots in a forest floor. The token reads "Our Navy" on the reverse with the Monitor on the obverse.

I pick through my share of old nails, gambling on whether to dig or not to dig. But a stable number and nice high tonal pitch make silver obvious. Old iron usually bounces around between swings and the audio is unenthusiastic. I thought the token was an Indian Head. This particular area is not heavily infested with iron in fact it has few targets. Last year it did give me 1723 Rosa Americana and an early Georgian shoe buckle.

Attachments

• tres255.jpg
    tres255.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 38

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my third ever seated liberty dime and my second ever Civil War token. I'm usually a colonial hunter but have to admit was nice to see the Nox 800 with 11" coil read a solid 23 while giving the clear silver tone. It was 6" deep under small oak roots in a forest floor. The token reads "Our Navy" on the reverse with the Monitor on the obverse.

I pick through my share of old nails, gambling on whether to dig or not to dig. But a stable number and nice high tonal pitch make silver obvious. Old iron usually bounces around between swings and the audio is unenthusiastic. I thought the token was an Indian Head. This particular area is not heavily infested with iron in fact it has few targets. Last year it did give me 1723 Rosa Americana and an early Georgian shoe buckle.
Nice! Congrats.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice & Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with "lenmac65". The CW token wins the prize.
I searched around & most of the ones I found were 1863's & had 13 stars. Yours looks like an 1864 with only 12 stars.

In this link, if you scroll down to the 6th & 7th specimens,
you will see they are both attributed to the die maker Charles D. Horter (C.D.H.) but only the 1864 has 12 stars & no initials on the front. Strange. I wonder if yours is a more rare item. ???
Very cool find "Eastender" Congrats !!

This 1863 has 13 stars & has the the initials; C.D.H. (Charles D. Horter)

This 1863 has 13 stars also & the initials C.D.H (Charles D. Horter)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Lenmac65 That Monitor token is FANTASTIC !! nice going again !!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome token! Congrats!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the '75 Seated Dime, I also like the fact that your CW Token has been 'holed'. :thumbsup:
In my opinion, this makes it a much more personal find, as someone likely felt strongly enough to wear it in support of the cause.
Dave

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries! I found that same token last spring! I’ll throw a picture of it up shortly….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread