Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Time has been tough here, and not much diggin, but we got out once so this is the catch-up post. Got on a new spot, which appears to be a bit newer, but still a chance of some antebellum items, and hopes for some more seateds as we explore this new site. First on the video you'll see a catch-up of a couple finds including a plow-struck late date seated dime I dug out with DiggerGirl. Then the cameras roll and we're on a new spot.

The first thing I dug in the new site was an 1864 IH that I'm almost positive has the pointy bust that indicates that it's an "L." Let me know if it is. It is surely the nicest IH I've ever dug down here. It's strange, I also dug the nicest wheat I've ever dug down here too.

HPIM4536.JPG HPIM4537.JPG

Not too often I get excited about a wheat, but when every copper coin I've dug down here is crusty and flaking apart, it's nice to get a couple real greenies! Soil in South Louisiana is so waterlogged that it destroys coppers, but this spot is high enough ground that they seem to be fine. It has me hoping for a Large Cent or Colonial in the vicinity due to the nice condition of the copper coins I dug this trip. Here is the 1864. I'd appreciate a second (and third...) opinion on whether it is the L or not:

HPIM4541.JPG HPIM4542.JPG

Here is the seated I dug on the previous short hunt, along with a V nickel dug from a trashy mess of turn-of-the-century quarter houses:

HPIM4533.JPG HPIM4534.JPG

HPIM4531.JPG HPIM4532.JPG

HPIM4530.JPG HPIM4529.JPG

I also got another IH, then eyeballed a Shield Nickel that had washed out and was laying right on top of the ground:

180_0689.JPG

HPIM4543.JPG HPIM4544.JPG

Then all of a sudden, Shanegalang walked up on a Cannonball sticking out of the side of a turn row! You'll have to watch the video to see this find removed from the dirt.

180_0698.JPG

I also dug another find that I had recovered one of back in Indiana six or seven years ago: A Boyd's Battery. The daisy-shaped central part of the pendant on this quack medical device from the late 19th century is unmistakable:

HPIM4538.JPG Boyds Battery.jpg

And here is a group shot of my finds from the hunt. The marked Wm. Trowbridge brass valve key is from a company in New Orleans. I included an ad from the 1886 New Orleans directory (thanks Bramblefind!).

HPIM4535.JPG 143qm81.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Upvote 16

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice finds Will. Glad to see you guys are still getting out.
Been slow here but am hoping to get out tomorrow to an early 1800's site.

I like the quack medical pendant. Can you read the name boyd on it? I too found one 3 years ago that read Sagendorphs Battery. Seems Sagendorph was an employee of Boyd that stole his design and started making the pendants.

Looking forward to more posts from the cane fields of La.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been patiently waiting on this one. Your voicemail that day caused me to get hurt (from falling down laughing on the floor in the den). I'll give you 2 a "F' as potential bomb squad members-LOL. It did look promising until you got it out. I know you have been VERY busy but I hope you get to hunt again soon. That was a good hunt. Nice coins as usual. If I had dug that Boyd Battery, I would have had no clue what it was. If Dman had been behind you guys with a firecracker when you examined that ball, somebody would have "soiled" their pants as MM says-LOL. WTG & HH my friend, Q.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Will. Another great post as we've come to expect from you over the years. :thumbsup:
Congrats on that female cannonball. I've heard those are very rare and hard to tell apart from a male cannonball until it gets cold out. :tongue3:

As far as that possible "L" (Longacre) IH penny, it does almost look like there is an "L" there where it should be. Hard to tell in the picture.
Attached is a picture of an 1864 "L" IH I dug years ago.

Are those three tax tokens all from Louisiana?

Congrats on all of those super coin finds, but I must admit, I really like that Boyd's Battery piece the best. :thumbsup: Very neat and unusual piece.

I agree with Quindy. It would have been priceless if someone would have lit off some firecrackers or popped a paper bag behind you guys as you pulled out that "cannonball". :laughing7:

Thanks for the post Will. Hopefully that Barber quarter surfaces soon. :occasion14:

-DUHg-
P.S. Thanks for showing that water squirt bottle coin cleaning method. I'll have to try that. I'm tired of peeing on my coins out in the field. Too much acid can ruin a coin you know. :tongue3:

Attachments

• 1864 - 2.JPG
    1864 - 2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 85

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds and pics. I will watch the video after work. Thanks for sharing!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, i bet that seated coin was hit buy an horse drawn reel mower..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds congrats !

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome digs!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see you out and posting again, Will. Looks like you guys had a fun hunt. I would vote that your Indian head is not an L variety 1864. The bust is narrower and more pointed on the L, and yours appears more rounded. A great find either way.

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day, what a catch

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Sweet finds there Buckleboy! Love that seated...Do you know what the looped thing is in your last picture? I found the same thing but I forget what they're called:unhappysmiley:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great vid and thanks for posting.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Will. Glad to see you guys are still getting out.
Been slow here but am hoping to get out tomorrow to an early 1800's site.

I like the quack medical pendant. Can you read the name boyd on it? I too found one 3 years ago that read Sagendorphs Battery. Seems Sagendorph was an employee of Boyd that stole his design and started making the pendants.

Looking forward to more posts from the cane fields of La.

Sagendorph. Wow, I never knew. Thought Boyd was the only one. I can't read much on it, but I'll take a closer look. Glad you're digging and hope to hear from you again soon with some good finds. I really treasure the times that we dug together in AL. Such a wild and crazy summer between the chiggers, and night digging with Nana.

Hope all is well for you, my friend,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been patiently waiting on this one. Your voicemail that day caused me to get hurt (from falling down laughing on the floor in the den). I'll give you 2 a "F' as potential bomb squad members-LOL. It did look promising until you got it out. I know you have been VERY busy but I hope you get to hunt again soon. That was a good hunt. Nice coins as usual. If I had dug that Boyd Battery, I would have had no clue what it was. If Dman had been behind you guys with a firecracker when you examined that ball, somebody would have "soiled" their pants as MM says-LOL. WTG & HH my friend, Q.

It would be someone with the moral fiber of Dman to bring a firecracker on a hunt. Each time he tells that damned joke again I wish I had a cannonball with a concussion fuse in my hand.

:D

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Will. Another great post as we've come to expect from you over the years. :thumbsup:
Congrats on that female cannonball. I've heard those are very rare and hard to tell apart from a male cannonball until it gets cold out. :tongue3:

As far as that possible "L" (Longacre) IH penny, it does almost look like there is an "L" there where it should be. Hard to tell in the picture.
Attached is a picture of an 1864 "L" IH I dug years ago.

Are those three tax tokens all from Louisiana?

Congrats on all of those super coin finds, but I must admit, I really like that Boyd's Battery piece the best. :thumbsup: Very neat and unusual piece.

I agree with Quindy. It would have been priceless if someone would have lit off some firecrackers or popped a paper bag behind you guys as you pulled out that "cannonball". :laughing7:

Thanks for the post Will. Hopefully that Barber quarter surfaces soon. :occasion14:

-DUHg-
P.S. Thanks for showing that water squirt bottle coin cleaning method. I'll have to try that. I'm tired of peeing on my coins out in the field. Too much acid can ruin a coin you know. :tongue3:

It must've been cold that day, cause that nipple almost poked my eyes out. :D

Hey that's a great L you got there! Nice that you can actually see yours with a magnifying glass. Mine is so obscure I can only imagine it there. Maybe it's like Schroedinger's Cat. It's only NOT an "L" if I look, but it is an "L" if I don't look. :tard:

You should really stop whizzing on your coins. I've heard that whizzing can make them worth less than if you don't do that to them. :laughing7:

-Buhk

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, i bet that seated coin was hit buy an horse drawn reel mower..

They used mules down here, because horses could actually break their legs in the mud of South Louisiana. But yes, a reel mower or plow pulled by gangs of mules. So cool to think about!

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread