Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dead center of the state in Polk county...92 miles to Clearwater Beach...90 to St Pete Beach....89 to Cocoa Beach...I wish I lived closer to the coast but one advantage is being able to make it to either coast in under two hours.

I never stopped to consider that some folks have to drive so far to get to the coast!
I feel lucky to be 5 miles away!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My take on this was he was annoying SOME people and was detecting in their space to film chicks! His finds were next to nothing and was more interested in people or their reaction to him..
I vote he turn in his detector as he wasn't using it for its intended purpose!!
We all have the rights to be there but some handle it wrong.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never stopped to consider that some folks have to drive so far to get to the coast!
I feel lucky to be 5 miles away!
Yeah, I wish I could do three or four short hunts a week instead of a 10 hour marathon once a week...I would hit different beaches on each hunt...I don't like to complain because I could live in the middle of the U.S.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I wish I could do three or four short hunts a week instead of a 10 hour marathon once a week...I would hit different beaches on each hunt...I don't like to complain because I could live in the middle of the U.S.

No doubt!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We hunt 8 to 10 hours at the beach, in the water, when we go. We have to hunt in the crowds. We only get to go about three times a month and it is a 100 mile drive one way. I talk to people all day long and enlighten them on the hobby. there is nothing wrong with metal detecting as long as you are respectful and use common sense. I got just as much right to enjoy "time on the beach" as much as everyone else does. You live near the beach and have a lot more options to hunting times than we do. Don't tell me Im wrong for hunting in crowds.

I agree with you. If they can bring paddle balls, volley balls, rafts etc I can bring my detector. With weather changing, work etc we go when we can go. I can't get enough I love this hobby. So get out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you. If they can bring paddle balls, volley balls, rafts etc I can bring my detector. With weather changing, work etc we go when we can go. I can't get enough I love this hobby. So get out there!

Totally true, but they don't have camera on their paddle and they aren't waving it up and down your wife's body while they are doing it.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um.. I am pretty sure the guy detecting filmed it.
Not trying to be a smart arse.

I was saying that the detectorist was filming the incident.....but who was filming the detectorist before that incident? Was he leaving holes? Was he too close to people? Was he leaving trash behind? Was he being a pain in the arse......or did someone just call because? If he was doing no wrong, in my opinion, then he should be prepared for possible confrontations and have his paperwork ( rules and regs.) with him and handle it properly.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the video “Own The Water?” more than disturbing, truly wishing that it was never posted on T Net as nothing good for the metal detecting community can come of it! The agenda of this highly sensationalized and misleading video (Don’t hurt me/Don’t Taze me - the security guard was unarmed) was actually stated in the video by its creator “To be U Tube Famous”.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea you could be stuck in Nebraska! Ugh. I'm about 2 hours from Jax beach and 3 1/2 hours from the Redneck Riviera. It makes for a very long day to drive so far and hunt for 5-6 hours then drive back all wore out and crusty!

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Totally true, but they don't have camera on their paddle and they aren't waving it up and down your wife's body while they are doing it.

That is true. Maybe someone should contact him on his YouTube channel. This forum is full of members with a passion for this hobby and we all should do everything possible to maintain high standards. Cameras are great but there is a time and place for everything.

John Errigo

Feb 4, 2016
St. Pete Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Worst Tourist Threat on SPB, is the Idiot with the Volleyball whistle, @ prime beach-going times Saturdays and Sundays. THIS guy ruins everyones beach experience. People metal detcting are quiet, unless provoked.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One could go to the appraisers website and see if they actually own the ground to the water. If not, take a copy to the beach next time metal detecting and educate the security person.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I know whats up with this micro man, he's on the equinox 800 wait list, and you just rubbing salt in the wounds.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They own the beach now...ALL beach front property owners own the beach to the high tide line...Governor signed the law....goes into effect July 1st.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with what he did except for showing off the ring he found. Someone could claim it and you'd have no recourse. He seemed friendly enough and wasn't causing a problem. With that fish-eye lens, it seems like he's closer to people than he really is.

Hmm? Girls seemed to be a pretty good find.
I shifted my feelings somewhat when I saw him detecting around the sun bathers. No call to do that.
Most beaches are welcome to all. Its like a store, which is private property, charging a customer with trespassing.
Barney Fife seemed pretty pushy, as there is no need for that. I also wondered, maybe he detects the beach too, and is trying to minimize competition. I mean, I can see him in baggy shorts, Hawaiian shirt, brown leather shoes and white socks, with his trusty Bounty Hunter

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well as of Iuly 1st 2018 under the new law -- all the dry sand in front of privately owned land ( homes or hotels) will now be subject to being barred for public use ... the dry beach will be treated as part of their property ( so I guess as new "private property" the land owners will NOT get public funds to maintain their own personal "private beach")....since now only the wet sand areas will be "public beaches"..now how is the general public to get to the wet sand without crossing over the dry sand -- that is the 64,000 dollar question -- that no one is talking about

so basically as of July 1st 2018 --a whole lot of beach area will be totally off limits and what few "public park area beaches" that remain will be totally packed to the point of being overfull of local folks to the max --the tourist can play at their hotels "beach" because they pay for it --however for the locals the days of just walking up and down the beach --metal detecting , beach combing and looking for sharks teeth are over ...the rich folks and hotel owners will own the beaches as of July 1st 2018 ..so enjoy it until then.. I smell a lawsuit a coming --I hope

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread