Seeing American flags at 1/2 staff today.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today me and my youngest daughter went up to visit my oldest daughter to watch some football. Coming back I'm seeing our American flag raised at half staff. Seeing that made me wonder why, so my daughter in the passenger seat googled it. https://flagsexpress.com/flags-half...8-19, 2022 -,steadying presence and a sourc …
The first time I ever experienced the flag at half staff was in honor of JFK. I'm kinda uneasy about this reason over an honor, I originally was taught was only reserved for the death of an American president.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s simply a mark of respect guys… which pretty much all nations with friendly relations and common values extend to one another as a courtesy.

America’s last nationwide Half-Staff alert for a foreign dignitary was in July this year, for Japan’s former (and longest-serving) Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, assassinated on 8th July.

[Incidentally, although our Union Flags (aka Union Jacks) are at half-mast, protocol is that the Royal Standard is never flown at half-mast because succession is automatic to next-in-line such that we are never without a monarch.]

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s simply a mark of respect guys… which pretty much all nations with friendly relations and common values extend to one another as a courtesy.

America’s last nationwide Half-Staff alert for a foreign dignitary was in July this year, for Japan’s former (and longest-serving) Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, assassinated on 8th July.

[Incidentally, although our Union Flags (aka Union Jacks) are at half-mast, protocol is that the Royal Standard is never flown at half-mast because succession is automatic to next-in-line such that we are never without a monarch.]
I never knew this. I'm tuned into the radio at the moment as they cover the passing of your Elizabeth 2nd and I guess after today we'll once again hoist our flag high and for you RC, I believe I heard them sing God Save the King for the first time.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Queen turned heads awhile back when she allowed the Royal band to play the "Star Spangled Banner" outside of Buckingham Palace. This was a form of respect and recognition as you mentioned from one power to another. We are Allies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing was done for her father in 1952, it does not violate our flag code either. It was done out of respect, more for who she was as a person, than her royal position.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today me and my youngest daughter went up to visit my oldest daughter to watch some football. Coming back I'm seeing our American flag raised at half staff. Seeing that made me wonder why, so my daughter in the passenger seat googled it. https://flagsexpress.com/flags-half-staff/#:~:text=September 8-19, 2022 -,steadying presence and a sourc …
The first time I ever experienced the flag at half staff was in honor of JFK. I'm kinda uneasy about this reason over an honor, I originally was taught was only reserved for the death of an American president.
I remember the British lowering there flags for when John F Kennedy was killed

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Many in our area of Victoria Australia who fly Aussie flags lowered there ones to half mast in sign of respect.
I think its a nice thing.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to make a witty sounding comment/joke.....it can go no where but political for me, so ill refrain from comment......God bless this wonderful country !!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clearly hadn't paid attention over when a flag is to be hoisted 1/2 staff. What I thought I knew had been in my mind for many years I guess.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many in our area of Victoria Australia who fly Aussie flags lowered there ones to half mast in sign of respect.
I think its a nice thing.
Respect, honor or mourn the loss of someone who has stood the test of time as she had is a nice thing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Queen had Britian's Flags lowered to half staff after 9/11 as well.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I noticed that more often too, TR. Used to it seemed we just saw it for a President. Sometimes I don't know who died. The Feds can order it, and individual state governors can order it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread