Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds interesting! I am in Texas, wouldn't mind venturing but I don't know French, and don't know much about Montreal, but I will soon be having some travling on my list and Indiana is on it. Mainly for work, but I am self employed so I can make any time I need for other stuff.

What dialect of French? There are some online translators one can type in a box and have it translated to any language. Don't know how accurate most of the words would be, but should be pretty close. After all, if you are trusting someone you may not really know to translate for you, they could very well mislead you so they could claim it themselves.

OP
OP

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something happened to this site... won't work anymore...

Attachments

• Garrett1s.jpg
    Garrett1s.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting but to which story are you talking about. The lost payroll buried by General St Claire who was an American officer appointed by Washington and defeated by Native Americans in the worst U.S. loss in American history with over some 600 soldiers wipe out. Or are you talking about the pot full of silver buried, but that was buried my Native Americans also not French. The key to finding the lost payroll will not be found in Montreal but through history itself and one book in particular that gives detailed events leading up to the battle and where the battle took place. If you read the book you could find the payroll. Ive read the book it is very well written. The dead soldiers were stripped naked and cut up unto pieces and left to rot and were not buried until General Wayne returned to the site of the battle and out of stupidity of the Natives going against their own battle plan were defeated. St Claire made it back alive but where your talking about a fort was built by General Wayne, can you guess the name of the fort ? I dont think you or anyone will be digging there unfortunately. The name of the book is, That Dark and Bloody River. But I think the tail of lost payroll being buried there is false because Gen. St. Claire's wagon train of supplies never reached him and it is highly unlikely soldiers would carry such a cache into battle as was not custom, they would have been paid upon return home from the war campaign in which very few actually did make it home alive.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would say those are some crazy proposals alright. I am in the U.P. of Michigan but do get down that way. I will be traveling south sometime this summer so it could be possible to travel a bit further south to lend a hand for a few days in your search. I did study french but it was a long time ago but using a translator book is very easy to do, I almost lived by it when I went to Quebec, hated that city but thats another story..lol. French is not a difficult language actualy I could do some research from here on it by net if you can tell me more so I know what Im looking for, the soldiers involved or anything about the battle which would enable a better search in the field together. If I can find something about it on-line it would be worth making the trip to help you. I do know something of Native American history so perhaps this could also be use full. I also know the French controlled that whole area until the Brits kicked them out. So this must be a battle between the French and Brits then. If its a large cache any fairly decent Metal detector would pick up on it I would think. But you have one of the best deep searching machines out there I see. Just thinking logically though if these men buried the cache then they must have thought their lives were in eminent danger so with that in thought I would think they would have buried it in a hurry and not gotten more then 3 feet deep if even that and would they have had shovels to aid them with or used flat stoves or what ever else they could find to dig with? Whats the odds a few soldiers of that time period were equipt with shovels fleeing for their lives ?
I like a good puzzle to solve this could be fun researching it. Have you seen any large boulders in your search area? Its possible they dug close to one and rolled it over the cache, 5 or 6 men could roll a boulder, just a thought. Send me an email so we can discuss this more, I will help however I can even it is just doing the research to aid your discovery.
[email protected]

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance this could have made its way into Illinois? While doing research on another project I came across a little article in an 1870's newspaper detailing an account of how "treasure hunters" had come to town and had a French map that lead them to the so and so area. An issue dated three weeks stated that the hunters had left in the middle of the night but diggings left along a bluff by the river lead locals to believe a large cache had been recovered. I have always wondered about this and now wonder if its connected to your story. The weird thing is that I have talked to numerous old timers asking them if they had ever heard of the named bluff mentioned in the paper and nobody has ever heard of the term.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread