Seek suggestions please, anyone had luck detecting near or following a bent tree?

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been reading about Indian tree markers, do you think worthwhile to explore this? Metal detect around it? In the direction it points?
I have not read any accounts yet of anyone finding anything due to these trees. Does anyone have personal experience with this kind of potential marker? Should I follow it? Search around it?
Or,,,,is this just a deformed tree? This is in North Georgia, near the national forest. This is in the Cherokee land, where also supposedly the Spanish were, and also near if not in the Georgia gold belt. Thank you very much in advance for any insight. I am recovering from a hernia operation right now, but plan to study for the first trip out in the field in 4 weeks.[A IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6306.JPG TTACH=CONFIG]1889655[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_6310.JPG
    IMG_6310.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 51

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A native trail tree's purpose is/was to denote a direction /destination/waypoint.

Best use then would/will be to locate a trail or feature of a location or regions site(s).

Grab a map , look for water the direction of the tree's "chin".
If not water , what feature existed/exists?
High ground with a view? A spring? A trail spur off the trail the tree is on?

Treasure of a relic may exist simply because humans did.
Gold ect. in relation to a trail "sign"? Only the human aspect and vague possibility they had any gold hints of anything along the lines of precious metals to us today. More happenstance , than just a "street sign" being noted.

Congrats on seeing the tree though.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=georg...79f9790065&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for this insight and your thoughts. That is where I was leaning, and exciting to find yes. I will follow it, it may lead to a stream I know of in the area. Ncie way to describe it as a street sign. Thank you again.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Been reading about Indian tree markers, do you think worthwhile to explore this? Metal detect around it? In the direction it points?
I have not read any accounts yet of anyone finding anything due to these trees. Does anyone have personal experience with this kind of potential marker? Should I follow it? Search around it?
Or,,,,is this just a deformed tree? This is in North Georgia, near the national forest. This is in the Cherokee land, where also supposedly the Spanish were, and also near if not in the Georgia gold belt. Thank you very much in advance for any insight. I am recovering from a hernia operation right now, but plan to study for the first trip out in the field in 4 weeks.[A View attachment 1889656 View attachment 1889657 View attachment 1889658 TTACH=CONFIG]1889655[/ATTACH]

Hi, what I've found also, is there were apparently old timers,
members of KGC, CSA, maybe informed & educated outlaws
JJ & Co., that seemed to have used to do what I like to call
"creative tree trimming". It seems if they liked a place or
spot they would kind of imitate an Indian tree, possibly
by bending it, or maybe also carving something on it,
shaping the top to be a noticeable pointer, when it's
young. Suspect at times were possibly concealing
something to be used later, & knew they might
not be around, so marked by a sort of known
code to those in the know, for possible later
needed assets, planning for the long haul.
Those markings may be a directional or
otherwise indicative, of the potential
of more signs to look for. Finding a
number of trees, recently or long
fallen down, some marked in a
sort of theme or to say look...

The Spanish I think were more inclined
to use rock carvings/markers for their
system. For the reason of their being
harder to be destroyed, perhaps by
natural wildfires, etc. So Indian or
KGC or outlaw, etc. is most likely
to have done the manipulations
I think, by some observations.

Hope this helps, look further
in the direction of the pointer,
& the opposite, for more sign.
Good luck, beautiful country
there, & around Blue Ridge...

Yes detect meticulously, all
around the trees, trails too.
Because good markers...8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting insight, thank you. I am recovering from hernia surgery, but the first day I can get back, in about 4 weeks, I will follow your suggestions and suggestions of other board member who replied.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
A few various examples I've seen.
Speedy recovery & happy trails...

Attachments

• DSC_0932 (5).JPG
    DSC_0932 (5).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0900 (5).JPG
    DSC_0900 (5).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0938 (5).JPG
    DSC_0938 (5).JPG
  • DSC_0748 (3).JPG
    DSC_0748 (3).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0106 (5).JPG
    DSC_0106 (5).JPG
  • DSC_0077 (5).JPG
    DSC_0077 (5).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0074 (8).JPG
    DSC_0074 (8).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0107 (3).JPG
    DSC_0107 (3).JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • P1010977 (3).JPG
    P1010977 (3).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • P1000168 (3).JPG
    P1000168 (3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • P1000585 (2).JPG
    P1000585 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0306 (2).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, hunt it! It can't hurt to search around the tree, under it, and the area around it. You might find something good! If not, it wasn't a waste of time because you won't have to wonder about it any more.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have stomped the mountains of N GA and E TN, and have seen several "tree" markers. Most that I have seen and believe to be markers were bent to the ground forming an arch. Bent as a sapling, they will grow for quiet a few years bent in this way. Just my thoughts.They is also a rock pile on Lookout MT, GA that was at the intersection of either 2 trails or several trials. These small rocks were left there by American Indian travelers as "good luck."
Look up "Granny Dollar",Mentone, AL for an unusual story, TRUE, funny and and a good read.
I have pics of stone markers, and was berated by a lesser Cherokee Chief, who I had know for years. He is on the Cherokee Council at this writing.
The story is true and a little long, would be glad to share it if you are interested.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have stomped the mountains of N GA and E TN, and have seen several "tree" markers. Most that I have seen and believe to be markers were bent to the ground forming an arch. Bent as a sapling, they will grow for quiet a few years bent in this way. Just my thoughts.They is also a rock pile on Lookout MT, GA that was at the intersection of either 2 trails or several trials. These small rocks were left there by American Indian travelers as "good luck."
Look up "Granny Dollar",Mentone, AL for an unusual story, TRUE, funny and and a good read.
I have pics of stone markers, and was berated by a lesser Cherokee Chief, who I had know for years. He is on the Cherokee Council at this writing.
The story is true and a little long, would be glad to share it if you are interested.

Looks like 2 yes votes so far, whenever you're ready, & get time?

Cobbslane

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it help if you could find the approximate age of the tree? I am fascinated by this as I have not come across such indicators being used here in the UK but it does seem to me that if a tree is relatively young then such 'marking' might not turn out to be what you expect.
After searching I came across this site which gives a very simple method of approximately dating your tree. Using this might help you to decide whether to follow your instinct or not. Obviously it is necessary to be able to i/d the tree type in order to use it. Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Tree Age Calculator | tree guide

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out a little on Saturday (I am recovering from hernia surgery but not supposed to be inactive.) I was looking for a homestead I found on an old map of the area from 1906.
While I was out, I found this tree:
IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6343.JPG

I decided to follow them in the direction they pointed, and I was led to these trees!
IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.JPG

I did not go any further but I plan to when I am able to hike farther and further.
I welcome any advice or insight please. I welcome any feedback!

Thank you.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
That definitely points to something. Who knows exactly what.

When I was a young boy, I referred to one of these as the "4" tree, due to its shape like the number 4. I didnt realize who or what made it grow like that till later. I haven't ever searched the area for more of them, but it might be worth it. There is a spring not far from the one I am talking about, so it could be indicating this to other native Americans.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
That definitely points to something. Who knows exactly what.

When I was a young boy, I referred to one of these as the "4" tree, due to its shape like the number 4. I didnt realize who or what made it grow like that till later. I haven't ever searched the area for more of them, but it might be worth it. There is a spring not far from the one I am talking about, so it could be indicating this to other native Americans.

You might metal detect around the tree, the spring, etc. just
for fun. You never know, springs stay in place for a long time.
Definitely look around real good both, all directions if possible.

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I plan to detect just as you suggested. Hopeful for good luck and discovering something worth sharing here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread