Seeking Advice on Shipwreck Discovery

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So if I had a couple hundred G to invest here, when could I expect my return and at approximately what rate?

If you have got 200k, buy a 1715 lease, small boat underwater metal detector and have fun on the Florida coast, youve as much chance as hitting a good return, on your own as putting 200k into a low-end salvage company, or the like of the bigger outfits, I am not saying everyone out there is a scammer, but remember you are funding some ones dream, some one that believes they are the next Mel Fisher, just like I do,

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what it is, why it is there and it's value; I do not believe there is any archeological value

Your first statement, A declaration of your certainty, followed by a belief with a qualifier (any); "I do not believe there is any archeological value"

Not a statement originating from the sleep deprived or fat fingered, not with the declarative setup and use of a qualifier, to write it would take forethought, intent and purpose.

The wreck itself is pre-1900 and of course it has archeological value..

Your second statement, after it's suggested that it's a mundane post 1900 ship. Your qualifier is now "of course it has" but it doesn't undo the first statement.

Me thinks the ego may have been a bit too involved ;-)

You said you had a profile on here previously, what was your past user name, i assume you don't mind sharing?

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post can be summed up as the biggest tease of 2021, giving the year 2020 a good run for it's money:

"I found a ship with millions in treasure on it!" Should i tell the story folks?!!!" "Sorry, not going to tell the story, but here's a few more teasers about it"

"So you get nothing, you lose, good day sir!" The late Gene Wilder.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Let us look at it another way, a guy comes to you tells you he has a wreck that takes an esoteric knowledge, to relies on its value, the wreck is post 1900, this wreck and cargo are owned by one individual, so there no problems with red tape, the value is ten million pounds he needs 1.5 million to get the cargo up, he will split the profit 50 / 50 with you. You agree and hand over the money.
The wreck is buried in sand lying 45 degrees to port, there is a scrap yard of steel lying over the cargo. To recover the cargo will be say thirty days working 24 hours day, so the vessel will be at least 30k a day, then you will have around 30% down time so you’ll probably recover 70% of the cargo.
So now you got 70% of the cargo cargo on the deck worth 7 million. vessel hire takes a care of one million of your investment. There is only one country that is still processing this type of cargo, import charges will apply and transportation handling costs, say 25% so now you’ve 5.25 million.
The processors charge 1 million to process the cargo, that is 4.25 million left. You then put the processed material on the market that pushes the market price down, so you sell it for 4 million, then you pay 12,5% tax on your sale plus brokers fess say your left with 3.4 million, the cargos owners take their 20% cut you’ve 2.7 million left, you get your 50% cut, then you pay income tax on that at 40% you’ve now got 810 thousand from a 1.5 million investment, your partner has 810 thousand million plus 500 thousand of your money he never spent you query that he says that was to cover his research and the mobilisation fess, he makes 1.2 million you lose 700 thousand, even if you take legal action to retrieve part of the your 500k your still going be minus they are still going to plus.
The wreck the cargo are there, the proposal is also kicking around. Smoke and Mirrors,

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us look at it another way, a guy comes to you tells you he has a wreck that takes an esoteric knowledge, to relies on its value, the wreck is post 1900, this wreck and cargo are owned by one individual, so there no problems with red tape, the value is ten million pounds he needs 1.5 million to get the cargo up, he will split the profit 50 / 50 with you. You agree and hand over the money.
The wreck is buried in sand lying 45 degrees to port, there is a scrap yard of steel lying over the cargo. To recover the cargo will be say thirty days working 24 hours day, so the vessel will be at least 30k a day, then you will have around 30% down time so you’ll probably recover 70% of the cargo.
So now you got 70% of the cargo cargo on the deck worth 7 million. vessel hire takes a care of one million of your investment. There is only one country that is still processing this type of cargo, import charges will apply and transportation handling costs, say 25% so now you’ve 5.25 million.
The processors charge 1 million to process the cargo, that is 4.25 million left. You then put the processed material on the market that pushes the market price down, so you sell it for 4 million, then you pay 12,5% tax on your sale plus brokers fess say your left with 3.4 million, the cargos owners take their 20% cut you’ve 2.7 million left, you get your 50% cut, then you pay income tax on that at 40% you’ve now got 810 thousand from a 1.5 million investment, your partner has 810 thousand million plus 500 thousand of your money he never spent you query that he says that was to cover his research and the mobilisation fess, he makes 1.2 million you lose 700 thousand, even if you take legal action to retrieve part of the your 500k your still going be minus they are still going to plus.
The wreck the cargo are there, the proposal is also kicking around. Smoke and Mirrors,

***ARC sighs***

But there is... that 30 percent that remains :P

:)

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You forgot the millions spent in court defending your claim from the descendants of the estate of who once owned it, the country it lies in, the country it originated from, the state where it lays and the ship and cargo insurance company (even a 100 years later). Especially since he now says it's a pre 1900 ship with archeological value.

Last edited:

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If 'sister ships' were "selectively pillaged" as you suggest then others were able to solve the dilemma you find yourself in.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
The wreck is buried in sand lying 45 degrees to port, there is a scrap yard of steel lying over the cargo. To recover the cargo will be say thirty days working 24 hours day, so the vessel will be at least 30k a day, then you will have around 30% down time so you?ll probably recover 70% of the cargo.
So now you got 70% of the cargo cargo on the deck worth 7 million. vessel hire takes a care of one million of your investment. There is only one country that is still processing this type of cargo, import charges will apply and transportation handling costs, say 25% so now you?ve 5.25 million.
The processors charge 1 million to process the cargo, that is 4.25 million left. You then put the processed material on the market that pushes the market price down, so you sell it for 4 million, then you pay 12,5% tax on your sale plus brokers fess say your left with 3.4 million, the cargos owners take their 20% cut you?ve 2.7 million left, you get your 50% cut, then you pay income tax on that at 40% you?ve now got 810 thousand from a 1.5 million investment, your partner has 810 thousand million plus 500 thousand of your money he never spent you query that he says that was to cover his research and the mobilisation fess, he makes 1.2 million you lose 700 thousand, even if you take legal action to retrieve part of the your 500k your still going be minus they are still going to plus.

You forgot about the intangible value.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted before, but the subject of this thread brought such things to mind:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...ark-matter-depends-ancient-shipwrecks/600718/

Interesting article about the lead. But.... worry about the archaeological value of 1000 identical lead bars and not one word about the poisoned seafood that we eat because of all that lead in the oceans. Fish chew on the lead. We eat the fish. Lead oxidizes constantly. The lead oxides are carried off by the currents and absorbed by all the creatures in the sea. Oysters and mussels absorb the poisonous lead oxide. We eat the oysters and mussels etc.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
intangible value in it self is intangible, and the expernce for one is postive and for the not so, altough as an investor you could write a book, and then youd have somthing tangible?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
2001 low alpha lead from a shipwreck minded in Cornwall , the lead was going to IBM for computer systems on two satellites, at that time the value of the lead was more than silver. 600 ton of this lying in the Irish I do not think it so valuable now? The other cargo I was talking about is also lead, but there is a different reason why that is worth ?10 Million?
lead.jpg lead.jpg

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
intangible value in it self is intangible, and the expernce for one is postive and for the not so, altough as an investor you could write a book, and then youd have somthing tangible?

Intangible is good. It is truly priceless and tax free on top of that.
Intangible is also impossible to measure as you can not touch it. However, you can feel it.
It is incredibly powerful stuff.
A good part of the world runs on it.

I leave it here as a puzzle.

Later I will try to explain it.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Intangible is good. It is truly priceless and tax free on top of that.
Intangible is also impossible to measure as you can not touch it. However, you can feel it.
It is incredibly powerful stuff.
A good part of the world runs on it.

I leave it here as a puzzle.

Later I will try to explain it.

Bonds?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A guy I worked with, American, living in the UK. As a sat diver he was sent into a shipwreck’s accommodation, he had to retrieve a briefcase, the brief case was handcuffed to a man who was in the cabin he was said to be in, he cut the brief case of the man’s arm and returned to the bell. I worked with a lot of the crew that were on the DSV at that time and the story was told to me several times without asking it just came up in conversation, to this day no one knows what was in the briefcase. The ship was later covered in concrete, something intangible for sure and worth a great deal to someone, information/ knowledge is power to some. Are we getting anywhere?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Interesting article about the lead. But.... worry about the archaeological value of 1000 identical lead bars and not one word about the poisoned seafood that we eat because of all that lead in the oceans. Fish chew on the lead. We eat the fish. Lead oxidizes constantly. The lead oxides are carried off by the currents and absorbed by all the creatures in the sea. Oysters and mussels absorb the poisonous lead oxide. We eat the oysters and mussels etc.

I think it comes down to how big the oceans are compared to what is being released. If all 1,000 lead bars oxidized completely and drifted off around the world, how much would it raise the lead content of all the oceans? Add to that, all the nuclear debris from lost subs and ships, hazardous wastes, etc. Then you have to figure in all the oil, metals and other toxic substances that naturally cover the ocean floor or dissolve into the water. I remember several years ago when the BP oil spill occurred in the Gulf of Mexico. The amount of oil was great, but the analogy was that it was the equivalent to filling Dallas Cowboy's stadium with water and adding one soft drink can full of oil to the mix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread