seeking info on the 3 rd Ave. wrecksite in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a british ship,it was wrecked around 1774 or later,a guy by the name William Bartram was on the ship when it wrecked near 3rd ave,william was a zoologist,nature artist an a surveyor,his father was named john bartram,william wote several books,if you do a search for him on the net,you will come up with a bunch of stuff,from what i have researched,the ship got caught in a north easter type of storm,the ship was comming down from st augustine,thats all i have found out so far,it was just a transport ship,no treasure,maybe what the passengers were carrying is about it.theres a anchor out there past the surf,a friend pick it up on a mag search years ago.

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Thanks for the information. I will continue to research this site. Will share any info here for others.

Thanks!

Richard

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Wow, what a meal! You order lobster and it comes with a prize inside! Bet you can't get that at your local Red Lobster!

Robert in SC

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign, Excaliber, Spectrum, Surfmaster
Many of the places I hunted and found coins in the 90's were down to coquina. Not to say coins can't still be found.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coquina or hardpan in the new smyrna beach area is 50 feet down in the sand.Good luck with that.This is why no one has any contracts with the state on any of the wrecks there.

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign, Excaliber, Spectrum, Surfmaster
I'm only aware of 2 wrecks, 1768 and 1769, near Turtle Mound South of New Smyrna. Further South near Cape Canaveral there are probably hundreds of shipwrecks including La Trinite( another story). I had written permission to hunt Cape Canaveral in the 90's.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread