south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1616453600.576219.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1616453616.158431.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1616453639.613656.jpg
I may not be anywhere near the best haha but I’m pretty happy, found a large flake in a known Indian spot, checked it over no edge touching or anything so I finished the job started thousands of years ago. Cane out as good as I could have hoped, I’m sure there’s reasons they abandoned these flakes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m working on it, still lean heavily on the pressure flaker, need to get better at percussion... some native long time ago already took care of the percussion and heat treat for me

It’s fun to think a process got started thousands of years ago was finished in an age were stone tools are obsolete with computers and cellphones and space travel. What are the odds?

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too, had trouble learning percussion. Once I had some billets, my problem was having enough flint to practice on. Too expensive to buy and destroy. You have to destroy about a pickup load of flint before the light bulb goes off and you figure it out. My moment came when I set a lawn chair in a creek full of good Burlington flint near the IL River in Pike Co. My wife brought me nodules and I busted them up. We were there most of the day and I finally got a good start at percussion.
Gary

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have to follow your lead, I learned on bottle bases because they are more or less free because nobody wants them, they aren’t helpful for percussion, I know where there’s a bunch of lower quality flint, maybe I’ll find a good day to set up and do the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread