Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Any ideas on how to get the iron off the coin? Any help would be appreciated.
One of my favorite Seminole war fort finds ever!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all!
173EA9BF-3736-45AD-B9EB-C0742A7E7C14.jpeg
B6227544-F21A-41EA-A4BA-8E5618C55BE3.jpeg

Upvote 116

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Any ideas on how to get the iron off the coin? Any help would be appreciated.
One of my favorite Seminole war fort finds ever!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2006847 View attachment 2006848
Nice Find!! I like the Iron on it. Congratulations.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the photos, has the certificate of authenticity. Of course, not dug but was hidden for a contest (won this and the 2 Reales).

Attachments

• 8reales_back.jpg
    8reales_back.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 8reales_front.jpg
    8reales_front.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 8reales_frontXL1.jpg
    8reales_frontXL1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 8reales_frontXL2.jpg
    8reales_frontXL2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2reales_back.jpg
    2reales_back.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 79
  • 2reales_front.jpg
    2reales_front.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 81

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't read last digit on your coin, but the chest it came from, dug 14-15 deep. Soft soil around parts of New Orleans, reason why so deep. That would be neat if both of us have same date. Then workers went around picking up the silver and probably kept a few of them. I'd try searching the area for a deep chest. Or maybe the Indians salvaged it from ships.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't read last digit on your coin, but the chest it came from, dug 14-15 deep. Soft soil around parts of New Orleans, reason why so deep. That would be neat if both of us have same date. Then workers went around picking up the silver and probably kept a few of them. I'd try searching the area for a deep chest. Or maybe the Indians salvaged it from ships.
Hey desert thanks for your post. I believe it dates 1837. The fort was present from 1836 to 1841

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey desert thanks for your post. I believe it dates 1837. The fort was present from 1836 to 1841

Thanks! That is great info, in the past, chests have been found around certain old forts

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! That is great info, in the past, chests have been found around certain old forts
It would be great to find one! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread