Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Any ideas on how to get the iron off the coin? Any help would be appreciated.
One of my favorite Seminole war fort finds ever!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all!
173EA9BF-3736-45AD-B9EB-C0742A7E7C14.jpeg
B6227544-F21A-41EA-A4BA-8E5618C55BE3.jpeg

Upvote 116

ARS-24/7

Feb 3, 2022
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2006847 View attachment 2006848
Great Find

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used an environmentally safe product called Evapo-rust (get it on Amazon), works pretty good on dug iron if you get the loose rust off first. As mentioned above, I would try any chemical on a junk silver coin first.

Awesome coin, btw! Congrats!

mcluvin

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand why you would want to get that iron off, but a coin collector will tell you to never clean a coin. It usually detracts from the value. I'd at least consult with one first, before trying anything.

Cool find!

Ole man Digger

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2006847 View attachment 2006848

Ole man Digger

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Florida finder, my best suggestion of removing the rust without hurting any value of the 8 reale is use electrolysis. There's a unit made for just this type of need and Its called The Ugly Box. The detecting site on Facebook is Detect America and one of the moderators sells them. Great find btw.

yellow1053

Jul 7, 2009
Waltham, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
I would say Electrolysis would be your best bet to remove the caked on Iron. Great find!!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great 8 Reale coin, congratulations on your 1st BANNER! :occasion14:
Did you end up attempting to remove the rust... electrolysis might make the most sense here.
Dave

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know I was six months into this addiction I did some research on where they used to bring the oxen over to my town from Covington and it’s a whole bunch of women’s boutiques in lawyers offices they made a cement jungle except for this one curb strap and I went and checked it and people were looking at me very funny believe me 8 inches down I got an 1829 Spanish Mexican eat rials it was solid black the blackest coin I’ve ever found it was my first of 38 rials I’m so blessed and I’m glad you are too and congratulations on the banner. If you want I’d love to show it to you I’ll message as far as the iron wow I’m not sure I’ve been honing in on my cleaning techniques And being that it’s not in the perfect condition I’ve never seen any other pictures of it yet I’ll look through them and see if you put some up but I would how to say I would put it in my tumbler and see if that would knock that iron off

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know I was six months into this addiction I did some research on where they used to bring the oxen over to my town from Covington and it’s a whole bunch of women’s boutiques in lawyers offices they made a cement jungle except for this one curb strap and I went and checked it and people were looking at me very funny believe me 8 inches down I got an 1829 Spanish Mexican eat rials it was solid black the blackest coin I’ve ever found it was my first of 38 rials I’m so blessed and I’m glad you are too and congratulations on the banner. If you want I’d love to show it to you I’ll message as far as the iron wow I’m not sure I’ve been honing in on my cleaning techniques And being that it’s not in the perfect condition I’ve never seen any other pictures of it yet I’ll look through them and see if you put some up but I would how to say I would put it in my tumbler and see if that would knock that iron off
Thank you Truth. I always look forward to your posts. You find some awesome stuff so please keep up the finds and the posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread