Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Any ideas on how to get the iron off the coin? Any help would be appreciated.
One of my favorite Seminole war fort finds ever!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all!
173EA9BF-3736-45AD-B9EB-C0742A7E7C14.jpeg
B6227544-F21A-41EA-A4BA-8E5618C55BE3.jpeg

Upvote 116

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Both Cru and Buckle Boy have said lemon juice. Do you need another answer? I’ll attest to the lemon juice working as I asked the same question a couple years ago and followed Cru’s advice then. Worked like a charm.

Good luck (and killer find!)
Dig

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. I’m still super pumped up! This afternoon I hit my favorite Seminole war fort again. I hit the same yard I pulled that artillery button out of yesterday. I didn’t arrive until four o clock so I didn’t have much time. I decided to change tactics and detect right along the road. After finding a musketball and a game piece I thought I was done. To my surprise I pulled out this 1837 8 real that was laying on a bed of old period square nails.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2006847 View attachment 2006848
Congrats on the piece of eight!

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for looking and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2006847 View attachment 2006848
That's just crazy but I know not impossible. In years past, I, too found a fort coin in a bed of horse and mule shoe nails. Using an early map, I found, determined and followed a military trail from the fort. About 300 yds. behind area of fort, I found an Infantry encampment along a lower elevated pasture-- the nearest where they could graze the animals. In camp, I dug 12 Infy coat buttons, 1 Arty. coat button, then found the concentration of nails. In the nail concentration was an iron soldering tip used for blacksmithing and an 1834 Half Dollar bearing very sharp detail.

Attachments

• half1834-a.jpg
    half1834-a.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 64
  • half1834-b.jpg
    half1834-b.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's just crazy but I know not impossible. In years past, I, too found a fort coin in a bed of horse and mule shoe nails. Using an early map, I found, determined and followed a military trail from the fort. About 300 yds. behind area of fort, I found an Infantry encampment along a lower elevated pasture-- the nearest where they could graze the animals. In camp, I dug 12 Infy coat buttons, 1 Arty. coat button, then found the concentration of nails. In the nail concentration was an iron soldering tip used for blacksmithing and an 1834 Half Dollar bearing very sharp detail.
Hello out there Southern Digger! Thank you for your comments! Congratulations on your buttons and that beautiful half dollar. Thank you for posting it.

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an update on the 8 real I found a couple months ago. While not worrying about a monetary value I soaked in vinegar for a couple days to try to clean it up for display in our local museum. The historic value is what prompts me. The obverse of the coin still has iron where the square nail was lying on it and attached.
67873E02-72F9-44C6-8DD5-4CDB3F976DA7.png
4657B091-99BC-48BE-AF5B-6E9120D7076D.png

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update on the 8 real I found a couple months ago. While not worrying about a monetary value I soaked in vinegar for a couple days to try to clean it up for display in our local museum. The historic value is what prompts me. The obverse of the coin still has iron where the square nail was lying on it and attached. View attachment 2017984 View attachment 2017985
West Bay Trading Co. in Vero might be able to help. They are very knowledgeable and have given me some pretty good advise in the past. Even sent me out the door with a little bottle of liquid to try out. Beautiful find.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everyone can say what they want, but I think that the rust only serves to substantiate that this was a coin dug at the fort site, It is fine like it is, the other side is stellar.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aye to leaving it intact...ferric oxide is something that can deteriorate contact metals, but in this case it would seem to be more of a hazard to try and manually remove it.

The nail got the worst of the work...the coin is a treasure. Nicely done!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everyone can say what they want, but I think that the rust only serves to substantiate that this was a coin dug at the fort site, It is fine like it is, the other side is stellar.
Good advise also. Maybe discuss that with the museum you are intending to donate it to. They may have a particular choice as well.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soaking in lemon juice for 5 mins at a time & then rinsing off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread