Seriouls considring

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
but open to suggestions. The Ace 400 is in a good price range for a 1st detector for me. I've read about better but going from $340 to $550 or more to start I'm not sure of. I'll mostly be searching the NC and FL beaches. If it is a bad idea I'll be open to others. 1st off, I'm 70 and unable to walk far or stand long periods ~ another reason to start conservatively.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't a salt water detector, it is single frequency not designed for salt beaches.

OP
OP
C

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
It isn't a salt water detector, it is single frequency not designed for salt beaches.

I'd like to cap the unit around $400 as a pointer and etc is still needed. Open to any suggestions...

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look at a used one from a seller here and find a good one for the beach in your range.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of the detectors in that price rang the 400 would be the last one I would choose. I have one and it is sorry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one will be fine for dry sand. I also have your physical issues, and so don't go in the water, it's too dangerous for me to walk there. The really wet sand is another whole animal and there is no new detector in that price range that will do it for you. Weight of the machine and balance of the machine are also issues to consider.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one will be fine for dry sand. I also have your physical issues, and so don't go in the water, it's too dangerous for me to walk there. The really wet sand is another whole animal and there is no new detector in that price range that will do it for you. Weight of the machine and balance of the machine are also issues to consider.

As mentioned this unit does not have ground balance (it is fixed) and the coil end is adult sized and the cuff is youth sized so it is very nose heavy. It is absolutely not a beach machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to cap the unit around $400 as a pointer and etc is still needed. Open to any suggestions...

Up your cap to $650 or $552 if your in military or a vet and get the Minelab Equinox 600, the Nox is waterproof to 10 foot, is multifreq so it will run great on salt beaches and far more versatile.

OP
OP
C

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
You might look at a used one from a seller here and find a good one for the beach in your range.

Thanks ~~ I've been to the classifieds here and will keep checking. No faith in Craigslist though.

OP
OP
C

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Up your cap to $650 or $552 if your in military or a vet and get the Minelab Equinox 600, the Nox is waterproof to 10 foot, is multifreq so it will run great on salt beaches and far more versatile.

No longer "IN" the military but do have base privileges. Are these available at the exchange?

Whoops ~~ only Bounty Hunter models at the Army / Air Force exchange and nothing at the Navy exchange.

Last edited:

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might should consider White's Treasure Pro. Around $375 I think. It has manual or automatic ground balancing. I think it has a beach mode. I don't have one but have watched reviews on Youtube.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might should consider White's Treasure Pro. Around $375 I think. It has manual or automatic ground balancing. I think it has a beach mode. I don't have one but have watched reviews on Youtube.

It is a single freq detector using 8.2 khz, it is NOT a salt water machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No longer "IN" the military but do have base privileges. Are these available at the exchange?

Whoops ~~ only Bounty Hunter models at the Army / Air Force exchange and nothing at the Navy exchange.

No but you do not have to currently be in military, just be a vet, active or past.

OP
OP
C

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
While visiting my daughter this AM I ordered the Garrett AT Pro from Big Boy Toys. Bart indicated it was marginal for the beach but would work. He did mention the NOX but at another $150 ($650 vs $499). He answered all questions and was not pushy. Thank y'all for steering me away from the Ace 400 as it would not do near what I want.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.......I think your going to wish you up graded, huge difference between Equinox and AT Pro. I have a friend using AT Pro and AT Max and after using a Equinox he wishes he had bout it instead of the Max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaptnJohn

Sep 4, 2018
SE NC & FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Congrats.......I think your going to wish you up graded, huge difference between Equinox and AT Pro. I have a friend using AT Pro and AT Max and after using a Equinox he wishes he had bout it instead of the Max.

Well, I'll give it 6 months or so. If enjoyed and not over taxing physical limitations the Pro can go on Craigslist and get the NOX. I'm hoping to be able to walk more than 1/2 mile over time. May need mule to carry a chair to stop a while on. :laughing7:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cap'n, I think you made a decent choice. I have the 400 and while I love it for coins and relics, it sucks on the beach. I have seen the Hunter GT use a Patriot on wet sand to good effect, but that's the cheapest machine I have seen. The AT-Pro is good for fresh water but you have to crank down the sensitivity for wet sand. I hate to say it, because I love Garrett, but the Nox 600 would have been the best choice for a beach machine, and one I am looking closely at for my retirement machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread