Several decades of relics, my oldest Lincoln, and a cool presidential token!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get back to the site of the late 1800's inn this weekend. It was obvious that the coinhunters who also know about the site have been very busy, as there were precious few high tones left. Oh well, that will teach me to have a day job...

I did manage to find a host of relics, spanning a time frame from the late 1800's through the 1940's. Below is a pic of all of the keepers, with some of the individual finds described with photos following them.

All of the keepers:
All Finds.jpg

The spoons were all plated at some time, and the makers marks were (in descending order in the picture): "Others", "Rogers Nickel Silver", and "1877 Niagra Falls Silver Co.". The shotgun shells ranged from the 1870's through the 1920's, based on the headstamps.

Here is my first accordion reed (no date range known):
Accordion Reed.jpg

Here is a live 1918 Peter's Cartridge Company .45 round:
1918 Peter's Cartridge Co 45 round.jpg

A UMC Co. .45 Colt shell (late 1800's):
UMC .45 Colt shell.jpg

A garter or stocking clip, and a suspender clip marked "Nu-Way Patented":
Garter or Stocking Clip.jpg nu-way suspender clip.jpg

A Mary Dunhill (circa 1941) lipstick tube, with personalized owner's initials of "MV". The patent for attaching the initials on the exterior of Mary Dunhill cosmetics was approved in 1941, and I've attached an advertisement for it I found online below, along with pics of the tube as found and cleaned via electrolysis and a baking-soda/toothbrush scrubbing:
Mary Dunhill Lipstick Tube Pre-cleaning.jpg
Mary Dunhill Lipstick Tube Post Cleaning.jpg
1941-personalized-lipstick advertisement.jpg

A Silver Slipper Supper Club membership pin (with the soldered pin missing). From online info that I found, this was a social or nightclub of some kind in the mid-1920's in San Antonio, Texas:
Silver Slipper Supper Club Pin Obverse.jpg Silver Slipper Supper Club Pin Reverse.jpg

My only coin find was also the oldest Lincoln wheat cent I have found, to date. It's a 1918 in fairly rough shape:
1918 Penny Obverse.jpg 1918 Penny Reverse.jpg

My best find this go round, though, was a Martin Van Buren presidential token manufactured by the Scovil metals company sometime around the turn of the century. When I found it, I assumed it was a Shell Oil promotional token from the late 1960's, and I didn't think much of it. Once I got it home and researched it, I discovered it's actually somewhat rare, with a rating of 93 out of 100 on one of the online token databases. (Apparently there are two versions of this token, with the type I found being more difficult to find. There are two tokens like this currently on eBay, with asking prices of $120 and $129!):
Van Buren Token Obverse.jpg Van Buren Token Reverse.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to browse this post, and may your next hunt bring you joy!
Merry Christmas!

Upvote 20
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, congratulations! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job many people have machines and don't know how to use them as well as others Well done.. Happy Holidays Tommy

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
quite the assortment of great finds

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job many people have machines and don't know how to use them as well as others Well done.. Happy Holidays Tommy

Thanks, Tommy! I've learned a lot from the folks here at T-net!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite the assortment of great finds

Thank you very much! Everyone loves coins, but I love the relics just as much. They seem more personal to me than coins - not worth as much (usually), but still neat!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! I like that Van Buren President token, very nice. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds and presentation. :icon_thumright:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, and great finds.... I love the supper club pin

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds & details as well, Congrats!!!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! I like that Van Buren President token, very nice. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you! I was pretty happy once I found out what it was!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, and great finds.... I love the supper club pin

Thanks a lot, it was one of my favorites among the finds for the day! I sure wish I knew how it traveled from Texas to Florida!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread