Several Hunts With 540

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an Equinox 600 when they first came out and loved it's performance, but had to give it up because of the grip angle. It was too upright and really pained my wrist. It's hard to believe that a light detector could cause me so much pain. I had hoped that the 540 would be close to the 600 performance wise and feel better on my wrist.

While lacking some of the adjustability of the 600, it is a killer coin detector. I watched a fellow on you tube(Iffy Signals) and he raved about the 540. I have found the 540 to be an extremely deep and accurate detector. I am finding coins in places I hunt with my SEPro and just as deep. I have dug some deep rusty iron, but after several hunts, I sort of know it is rusty iron. My places are long gone of perfect high tone signals and 95% of what I dig could be called "iffy". With that said, I dig lots of rusty iron with most of the detectors I have used. The 540 will jump around on deep rust. The quickly accessible all metal button is a very quick "fact checker" It is nearly foolproof.

I have dug silver on 4 of the 5 hunts with the 540. All read in the mid 30's. I have dug several deep buffalo nickels and can attest to the 540's deep nickel ability. It is as good as any detector I have ever used in finding 8 plus inch deep nickels and it is very accurate to boot.

I am constantly amazed that manufacturers like Minelab can make and sell high performing, low cost detectors. I have yet to use the 8 inch coil as the 12 inch coil does an pretty nice job in trash in spite of it's size. I have always said that my SE Pro would be with me until I quit detecting. In the morning when I leave for detecting, I am reaching for the 540 and that says something about how good of a detector it actually is. I have not used my SE Pro in nearly a month. I feel slightly guilty leaving it sit.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up and thanks for the mention. I love the simplicity, coil designs and button layout of the Vanquish

Take care, Mike

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. fella's, I have a question about the Vanquish. A friend of mine wants to learn about detecting, and I did think the Vanquish might be a good detector if he decides to buy one, because I like the Multi-Freq. for ground conditions etc. etc. I'm going to fire up a Garrett AT Pro with the small coil in order to get the swing down, pinpointing etc. to see IF it really is something he wants to do, and I'll work with him without headphones to hear what he hears, again etc. etc. My question here is, how sturdy is the Vanquish. I only ask because of my EQ 800. I like minelabs, I've bought three of them, X-Terra 70, the Safari & the 800. I have had issues with 800, the shaft, coil ears, the control pod has failed, and the arm cuff broke. I do not want to recommend a detector that is as fragile as my 800, the other two minelabs? no problems. Also, IF he buys one, and fines out that he cannot or does not want to continue, something his son or grandson might use. I'm thinking the 540 only because of the wireless headphones and small coil, and I know that they will not out grow it. Any thing you might suggest? IS it a sturdy machine, or have you Vanquish users had issues with this minelab. I'm 70, been doing this 30+ years, the friend is a few years older at least, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vanquish is well built - No issues. I'll never get rid of mine. Easy to learn and use, DEEP, and adjustable!
IMG_5345.jpg

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a toy, but is very sturdy. I don't worry about it breaking like I do with the Nox. The arm cuff is flexible, and the coil ears are thicker. The only down side is the lack of manual ground balance can cause it to high tone/false a lot in heavy iron. You can always hit the horseshoe button to check for a mixed iron tone if it is an iffy signal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does it compare to the Legend?
It doesn't. The Legend compares to the Equinox 800, waterproof and advanced with better depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread