Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground is still frozen here and there except where it's covered in thick grass. I hit a park for about an hour on Monday and found $4.06 in clad, a cub scout leader neckerchief slider, a '52-s penny, a silver and turquoise earring and a bunch of junk.

Went to check out an old home site I discovered on an old map. Found an old 'All Brass' boy scout buckle, a 'church key', a golf trophy guy, and a bunch of junk.

Hit another park on Thursday for an hour and got $3.38 in clad, a camera lens ring thingy and a square button with foreign writing on it.

Had about an hour and a half to kill today and hit another park for $3.24 in clad, 2 1958-d wheats, a Safe-O-Mat' token and a well made junk ring.

Not a very exciting week, but something to look at if you're bored.

Leaving in the morning to go to Arizona for a little warmer weather for a week or two. I plan on hitting my spot on the Colorado river where I always find some silver coins. Hopefully I'll have something a little more interesting to post next week!

Attachments

• 0117221703.jpeg
    0117221703.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • 0122221128_2_resized.jpeg
    0122221128_2_resized.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 0122221147_2_resized.jpeg
    0122221147_2_resized.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 94
  • 0122221148_resized.jpeg
    0122221148_resized.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 0122221148a_resized.jpeg
    0122221148a_resized.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 0122221136_2.jpeg
    0122221136_2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Upvote 19

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground is still frozen here and there except where it's covered in thick grass. I hit a park for about an hour on Monday and found $4.06 in clad, a cub scout leader neckerchief slider, a '52-s penny, a silver and turquoise earring and a bunch of junk.

Went to check out an old home site I discovered on an old map. Found an old 'All Brass' boy scout buckle, a 'church key', a golf trophy guy, and a bunch of junk.

Hit another park on Thursday for an hour and got $3.38 in clad, a camera lens ring thingy and a square button with foreign writing on it.

Had about an hour and a half to kill today and hit another park for $3.24 in clad, 2 1958-d wheats, a Safe-O-Mat' token and a well made junk ring.

Leaving in the morning to go to Arizona for a little warmer weather for a week or two. I plan on hitting my spot on the Colorado river where I always find some silver coins. Hopefully I'll have something a little more interesting to post next week!
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thanks for ShARING

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations very nice and Good Luck on your visit

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that golf trophy guy made me laugh for some reason

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice hunts. I look forward to seeing what you find near the Colorado.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting group of finds. Although pretentiously added to other garments, your square button is a traditional Scottish β€˜kilt-jacket’ button, from a jacket or waistcoat worn with the kilt as formal dress. Like this:

Kilt Jacket.jpg

The inscription is in Gaelic and broadly translates as β€œChildren [descendants] of the Gaels / United in Tradition”. Although Gaelic language and tradition originated in Ireland, it spread to Western Scotland and the Highlands and your button has a Scottish β€˜lion rampant’ as its emblem.

You will find many fleabay sellers and some reference sources (usually American) incorrectly attributing this as an Irish button and linking it to the Irish Republican movement of β€œClan na Gael” founded in 1867 in America. This may simply be a misunderstanding of the Gaelic inscription or, in many cases, a cynical attempt to add a bit more interest (and value) to the button.

Difficult to date since these buttons are still being made today, often offered as replacements for lost buttons on older jackets. Here’s one of many suppliers offering the button in three sizes to suit jacket fronts, jacket cuffs or pockets and waistcoats:

Kilt Jacket 2.jpg

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting group of finds. Although pretentiously added to other garments, your square button is a traditional Scottish β€˜kilt-jacket’ button, from a jacket or waistcoat worn with the kilt as formal dress. Like this:

View attachment 2005266

The inscription is in Gaelic and broadly translates as β€œChildren [descendants] of the Gaels / United in Tradition”. Although Gaelic language and tradition originated in Ireland, it spread to Western Scotland and the Highlands and your button has a Scottish β€˜lion rampant’ as its emblem.

You will find many fleabay sellers and some reference sources (usually American) incorrectly attributing this as an Irish button and linking it to the Irish Republican movement of β€œClan na Gael” founded in 1867 in America. This may simply be a misunderstanding of the Gaelic inscription or, in many cases, a cynical attempt to add a bit more interest (and value) to the button.

Difficult to date since these buttons are still being made today, often offered as replacements for lost buttons on older jackets. Here’s one of many suppliers offering the button in three sizes to suit jacket fronts, jacket cuffs or pockets and waistcoats:

View attachment 2005267
Thanks! Great ID as usual!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your finds. Glad you were able to get out. The neckerchief slide in your first picture is a Tiger Cub slide and was worn by cubs and adults in that part of the program.

Good luck in Arizona. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: I just remembered that it was you who found an ornate silver 'kilt-pin' recently:

If this kilt-jacket button came from the same site, that looks to be more than a coincidence.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: I just remembered that it was you who found an ornate silver 'kilt-pin' recently:

If this kilt-jacket button came from the same site, that looks to be more than a coincidence.
Thanks for the ID on the button, and yes same park as the kilt pin. Very interesting, indeed.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID on the button, and yes same park as the kilt pin. Very interesting, indeed.

You're welcome. I wonder if the park ever hosted any kind of Scottish displays? Bagpipe bands or something of that kind?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector did you use ?

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome. I wonder if the park ever hosted any kind of Scottish displays? Bagpipe bands or something of that kind?
I've looked but can't find anything like that going on here, maybe a long time ago they had something like that.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admire your determination
Congratulations on your nice recoveries

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread