Shady seeders

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just got home from experiencing a day at the beach chasing pennies that some AHole planted all over...17 in a row. I knew they were pennies but if it's a solid toned target in PP and discrimination and it's not aluminim , I pull it..
Why would someone screw with other fellow detectorists. VERY juvenile. Needless to say I didn't make enough to buy a cheeseburger...So Cal beaches suck right now

Upvote 0

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ran into the same problem, sometimes its kids bored and pitching pennies. Sometimes someone doesn't want you to find the good stuff so they crap all over the area for you to throw you off your game. And other times your buddy knew where you were going and planted just to screw with you.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a site for about 4 hours one day. Went back the next day and one of the neighbors had fun emptying their penny jar. Over 500 pennies and 2 dimes strewn over 40% of the site. Slowed the hunt, but it did take me back to area I already hunted, and I pulled my 2nd IHP. Maybe things happen for a reason :dontknow:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
my record is 84 pennies in a row, got into a groove, took me no time, sometimes 2 or 3 in a scoop. was kinda funny, but yea you have to be a complete jealous ahole to pull something like that. in another spot i had the same thing, not near as many tho, and got a ring in the middle of them

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I had almost 50 pennies in a 7ft square behind a pavillion

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies suk and so do seeders.... Lookindown and I once pulled 23 new one dollar coins from one small area of the beach. I often wonder how that many dollar coins got there. I doubt someone actually put them there on purpose but who knows.

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice pocket spill

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had the same thing happen up here in LA. Saw a CTX guy but was at the beach for volleyball. Grabbed the PI to scout low tide. A row of shiny new pennies dumped (even into some of the holes he dug). I guess just to screw with PI users that dared to detect "his" beach

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies suk and so do seeders.... Lookindown and I once pulled 23 new one dollar coins from one small area of the beach. I often wonder how that many dollar coins got there. I doubt someone actually put them there on purpose but who knows.

Last year i pulled 53 one dollar coins in an hour and a half also from a small area of beach and over the course of the year managed to pull over 150 dollar coins from the same area, in fact this year the same area has me at 7 dollar coins from the same area, it boggles my mind but ill take it over pennies any day, further north a couple hundred yards some ahole threw maybe hundreds of pennies mostly mixed with nickels and dimes that after a coupple hunts decided to skip the area, at least if things look bleak i can hit the seeded area to get rid of the skunk and you never know maybe a nice surprise will pop up.

Last edited:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I had a similar experience earlier this year at North Miami Beach while on vacation. Handfulls of pennies all over the beach everywhere I hunted on the dry and wet sand. I thought maybe the CTX hunters had put them out since they do not have to dig pennies at all, just to mess with other detectorists. Then I talked with a local Detectorist on the beach and learned the real reason that particular beach had literally thousands of pennies. This section of beach was in the Cuban, Mexican, and Hispanic section of town and they believed that it was good luck to throw seven pennies into the ocean every day that they came to the ocean for the day. I never dug another penny with my Excall on that trip but maybe missed some silver because of it. The pennies just scream in my headphones, unlike other coins. I did find a ladies diamond ring which I returned as well as another gold and lots of coins while there however.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are some spots in Fla. I been to that Latinos will gamble on flipping or throwing pennies from waters edge against each other trying to get them in a floating cup in the water - so might not be from another hunter
there are a few spots known as "penny beach" down there because you can find 100s in one hunt
another thing nice about beaches up here - most spots you'll find more quarters than pennies

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Pennies: 49 in a row on a beach in Hawaii. Never found the 50th.
Nickels: over 200 - swimming instructor used to toss them into the water at the "graduation" day party.
Quarters: 40 in a roll - birthday party seeding went bad and the seeder dropped the roll into the water by mistake. Kids never found it.
I know of a pond that gramps would toss SILVER dollars across for the grandkids to pick up and swim for. Never got permission to detect the area - darn it!

Whatever it is, it IS fun...enjoy the moment.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother pasted long ago, had survived the 30's always and I mean always told me "save your pennies they all add up!!"
Now when I start finding to many pennies I'll look up and say Thanks but now show me where the GOLD is Grandmama!!!:laughing7:
A harbor beach in Boston has over a hundred year tradition of floating lit candles in cups keel weighted w/coins for Good luck!!

SnT

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they would seed it with dollar coins again...that was fun digging those.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I can only dream.....

Top Member Reactions