Shark Bite!

Hat-trick

Oct 23, 2022
Hello Fellow Detectorists!
I’ve actually posted before this, but never actually posted in the introductions. My name is Lisa and I live in Delray Beach. I’ve been at the super fun sport for a mere two months but have been finding enough gold silver and coins, rings and what not to keep me motivated. Just this week (last Saturday) I learned to water detect with a long time detectorist and the dead bull shark he found on the beach should have been a warning. It was only two days later, this past Monday, Last one in Nov 2022,, I was out in thigh deep to waist deep water, just near the shore, people playing, at 11 am. I got smashed into by a bull shark and then subsequently bitten, almost losing my foot. It was a very bad bite requiring orthopedic reconstruction and a repair of a major severed big toe tendon. The bite went three quarters of the way around my foot, and was very bloody. I needed lifeguard assistance to get out of the water, and then went immediately into an ambulance to the hospital. Got pain under control and late evening surgery to fix it all. No idea how many stitches.
Anybody heard of SHARKBANZ? Yeah? You are going to buy one now? Yeah, and you are going to get the multi pack to gift to your fellow detectorist friends this holiday season? Yeah? Please, PLEASE send one my way!! I WILL NOT GO IN THE WATER, EVER AGAIN WITH OUT ONE.
Thanks you and peace and love to all.
Im new to Delray Beach, only a few months, so any love from nearby peeps would be special. Especially if they are bearing holiday cookies!
Cheers! (Ps it isn’t hurting too much)
Lisa
And if enough of you request I can sent before and or after surgery pictures. Yucky bloody messiness

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Lisa, that's quite the wild experience to have so early on in the hobby! Long before I started md'ing I was into free dive spear fishing and I know how unpredictable sharks can be. A friends niece was killed by a great white in Santa Cruz awhile back and really got me thinking, pretty much quit diving about then.
If I was close by, I'd bring you some cookies!
Hope you recover quickly,
Kevin

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God bless you hat trick !! Your now known to me as lucky Lisa !! So sorry it happened to you, and wishing you a quick heal to your injury.... I've had close calls but have been lucky also. I was also a shark fisherman for over 20 years....it is a constant worry for those of us who water hunt. Now its finally happened to someone here on t-net !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread 'Another couple attacks !!' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/another-couple-attacks.673021/
Here's some other attacks I've been documenting Lisa.....please feel free to talk about your experience....when your feeling mentally ok with that, and only if you want to or feel the need to talk about it !! God speed to your heeling process....both physically and mentally!!

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I’ve actually posted before this, but never actually posted in the introductions. My name is Lisa and I live in Delray Beach. I’ve been at the super fun sport for a mere two months but have been finding enough gold silver and coins, rings and what not to keep me motivated. Just this week (last Saturday) I learned to water detect with a long time detectorist and the dead bull shark he found on the beach should have been a warning. It was only two days later, this past Monday, Last one in Nov 2022,, I was out in thigh deep to waist deep water, just near the shore, people playing, at 11 am. I got smashed into by a bull shark and then subsequently bitten, almost losing my foot. It was a very bad bite requiring orthopedic reconstruction and a repair of a major severed big toe tendon. The bite went three quarters of the way around my foot, and was very bloody. I needed lifeguard assistance to get out of the water, and then went immediately into an ambulance to the hospital. Got pain under control and late evening surgery to fix it all. No idea how many stitches.
Anybody heard of SHARKBANZ? Yeah? You are going to buy one now? Yeah, and you are going to get the multi pack to gift to your fellow detectorist friends this holiday season? Yeah? Please, PLEASE send one my way!! I WILL NOT GO IN THE WATER, EVER AGAIN WITH OUT ONE.
Im new to Delray Beach, only a few months, so any love from nearby peeps would be special. Especially if they are bearing holiday cookies!
Lisa
And if enough of you request I can sent before and or after surgery pictures. Yucky bloody messiness
I would like to see photos.
You are very lucky!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Just in case you haven't already - take a look at Forum: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez hat-trick it sounds very scary to have an experience like that one.
Speedy recovery 🙏

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very sorry to hear! Hopefully you'll recover quickly.

Please don't trust the SHARKBANZ to protect you as there's no statistical scientific evidence to suggest it's effective in any way other than psychological. There is, however, evidence that it provides no protection at all.

Anecdotal evidence is never used as a proof in science and trusting these stories, even if they appear to be plentiful, can be a life or death decision.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor shark just needed a snack of FreeToes.

Reactions: ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont rely on a SharkBand...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa
What time of day was it when bitten?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
H

Hat-trick

Oct 23, 2022
I would like to see photos.
You are very lucky!
Kody….yr the first to ask . I thought I already posted one….but…..here’s a healing one!

Attachments

• 7F9A247F-C280-482F-BC0B-FBD25F1FFA46.jpeg
    7F9A247F-C280-482F-BC0B-FBD25F1FFA46.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
OP
OP
H

Hat-trick

Oct 23, 2022
Actually I’m a stand up comic and I am new to the detecting and shark tooth collecting scene…..I was performing a joke about gaining “legend”status from the lifeguard because I had been the only one to find a tooth with the shark still attached! And then I got bit! Lucky indeed!

OP
OP
H

Hat-trick

Oct 23, 2022
Geez hat-trick it sounds very scary to have an experience like that one.
Speedy recovery 🙏
Ah, it’s a mere flesh wound! Thanks for the concern, I’m built of grit!
When I’m healed I’ll go out with anyone, to your haunts, of course, mine has a specific danger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread