Shavertown, NY.............the little town that was sacrificed for New York City

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Pepacton flooded four communities -- Arena, Pepacton, Shavertown and Union Grove displacing 974 people. Union Grove used to be between Binghampton and Schenectedy, in Delaware County, near Delhi and Walton.

The New York City water supply system has been the envy of virtually all major drinking water supply systems around the country. Shavertown was one of 4 communities claimed for the Pepacton Reservoir, the largest of 23 reservoirs in the NYC water system. The Pepacton was built between 1947 and 1954. Other communities claimed were Arena, Union Grove and Pepacton. The system is an engineering marvel delivering pure water to over 9 million New York City and Upstate New York residents. But engineering projects of this magnitude always bring sacrifice with them. As years pass, villages previously located at the site of reservoirs become more submerged. Not only by the rising waters but also in the minds of the public. And the number of survivors of these villages declines. But it is important to remember the sacrifices and the people who made them.
http://bearsystems.com/shavertown/shavertown.html

Attachments

• Shavertown03.jpg
    Shavertown03.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,134
  • Shavertown04.jpg
    Shavertown04.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,220
  • Shavertown07.jpg
    Shavertown07.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,739
  • Shavertown08.jpg
    Shavertown08.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,526
  • Shavertown09.jpg
    Shavertown09.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,357

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
What really sucks about this is that it is totally illegal to swim in these waters because they are the drinking water for NYC, I know because I was arrested as a teen for going with some buddies and diving off a train tresle into the cool waters of one of these gorgeous lakes. Fishing is ok so you might get away with magnet hunting but dont even think about Diving or MDing the water.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gypsy,

That's pretty darn interesting.....thanks for posting.

If I remember clearly...I remember watching a movie many years ago....about a town they flooded to make a dam....can't remember how long ago, or the name...heck, can't even remember who was in it!!!  ;D

But there are alot of places around this country of ours that towns and cities were flooded for the sake of dam's / drinking water and whatever other reasons.

Where my best friend lives in Marshall, ARK....the orginial town of Marshall was flooded many moons ago...the area use to flood all the time and one day they decided to move the town up hill (where it sits today) and flooded the valley where it use to be. When we were there in August, my best friend gave me a bit of local history...it was pretty interesting!!

Remember reading also of a bed of water, that when the tide (water level) is down...you can see tops of houses...can't remember where that was ??? It was a town that was flooded on purpose.

Thanks for sharing!

Nov 20, 2022
Gypsy,

That's pretty darn interesting.....thanks for posting.

If I remember clearly...I remember watching a movie many years ago....about a town they flooded to make a dam....can't remember how long ago, or the name...heck, can't even remember who was in it!!! ;D

But there are alot of places around this country of ours that towns and cities were flooded for the sake of dam's / drinking water and whatever other reasons.

Where my best friend lives in Marshall, ARK....the orginial town of Marshall was flooded many moons ago...the area use to flood all the time and one day they decided to move the town up hill (where it sits today) and flooded the valley where it use to be. When we were there in August, my best friend gave me a bit of local history...it was pretty interesting!!

Remember reading also of a bed of water, that when the tide (water level) is down...you can see tops of houses...can't remember where that was ??? It was a town that was flooded on purpose.

Thanks for sharing!

Nov 20, 2022
My mother grew up in Shavertown. They had a farm there. She lived to 95 and never stopped talking about Shavertown. The sadness of having to get out was with her until she died.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What really sucks about this is that it is totally illegal to swim in these waters because they are the drinking water for NYC, I know because I was arrested as a teen for going with some buddies and diving off a train tresle into the cool waters of one of these gorgeous lakes. Fishing is ok so you might get away with magnet hunting but dont even think about Diving or MDing the water.
I wonder if they allow the fish to excrete in the water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread