Shaving weight off the CTX?

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. In fact, most of us ADD weight to our CTX's. The easiest, best, sanest way to take the weight off of your arm and shoulder is to use a harness. Any harness works, some better than others. I say this as a fellow who has swung the CTX since 2012 with mostly the 17" coil and had both trigger finger and tennis elbow on my swingin' arm. Get a harness, and use it all the time.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you dont want to reduce weight. The coil cant get any light, and you can get lighter than the carbonfiber shafts. If you start taking weight off the back end, all you do is move the fulcrum farther forward, forcing you to use more muscle to hold the detector.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is right. I got a second CTX that was to be the guinea pig for such a project. You could reduce the battery weight but then its not balanced. The weight of the pod and control portions are really typical. The remaining shaft is also light. You could put the pod and battery on your hip but then you’d be lifting the coil all the time and its the real heavy portion. I gave up on messing with it. Push Minelab to come out with a lighter coil - try the 6” to see what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread