Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this here last year, but have yet to positively ID. We have some new members and I could get some new thoughts. It is silver and very THIN like a tag and the size of a quarter. Its hand engraved on the front in Old English copperplate script:

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

There are some official looking numbers on the back: G-1506.

The back is also hand engraved. The numbers may coincide with a US military grave plot but what cemetery?... :dontknow: What century? :dontknow:

Plot G- Row 15- Grave 06? :dontknow:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 5,005
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,733
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,935
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,735
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am thinking a 3 day old child that died during WW2 was cremated and ashes dumped into the ocean --its a silver creamation tag that ided the ashs and was in the ashes bag / box when dumped into the ocean..

A cremationist posted (either here or the other thread) that its definitely not a cremation tag because silver would melt. I have researched all kinds of cremation tags and I have yet to find one silver. They are all stainless steel and machine stamped. I have also not been able to locate the birth or death records. But I am hoping someone will help me with that search.

Possibly a fancy urn tag for the family, coffin tag or burial at sea maybe. The funeral home is usually listed on these Stainless Steel tags but we dont have that. So it makes it hard to find the records. But I would think mid-20th century records would be kept of this child. She is not on the Florida Death Index but we need to expand the search to other states. The possibility exists that its older.

Maybe it doesnt matter because the parents are most likely deceased. If it was thrown into the water on purpose, the parent wouldnt want it back anyway. But its very possible that this was on a chain, and it was lost.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...ibly-urn-tag-trying-find-name.html#msg2955386

crematory tag pa.jpg creamatory tag.jpg crematory3542m.jpg crematory tag.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ivan you were in the Merchant Marines correct? Have you ever had a birth or death on ship or a burial at sea?

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this amazing that after 9 1/2 years that there has been no definitive ID. And yet I have learned quite a lot of info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I find this amazing that after 9 1/2 years that there has been no definitive ID. And yet I have learned quite a lot of info.

I think we have IDed it but Im not sure which ID is correct lol. There are many different opinions and I am considering them all. It is what it is, whatever that may be.

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
OK I have calmed down now. But a person can only take so much. Everyone has their breaking point.

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

I have this quote posted on the wall in my office. Actually, there is more to it, but this suffices. I thought it was apropos..

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad news. The Jo Ann Hall grave record posted cannot possibly be the subject of this piece because that individuals parents, Lex and Ruby Hall, were born in 1924 and 1933 respectively. They were buried in that same cemetery, if you want to see their stones/dates on the same site.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad news. The Jo Ann Hall grave record posted cannot possibly be the subject of this piece because that individuals parents, Lex and Ruby Hall, were born in 1924 and 1933 respectively. They were buried in that same cemetery, if you want to see their stones/dates on the same site.
Still not impossible but I agree that if your info is correct it makes it much less likely.

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Still not impossible but I agree that if your info is correct it makes it much less likely.

The parents of that child were married in 1952. Unless you are telling me that the parents had this child out of wedlock 9 years before they got married when the mother would have been 11 years old.. not to mention her other children were born in the 1960s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
After laying dormant all day my virus came back worse this time. I got into safe mode but I couldnt open AVG in safe mode. It wouldnt open.

Im gonna try to call my brother tommorrow but hes hard to reach. Maybe I will try downloading the ESET some members recommended.

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know how to do that for Florida? Maybe someone missed it.

I have not been able to locate someone by that name who lived and died between any 43-44 (1743-1744; 1743-1844; 1843-1844; 1843-1944; 1943-1944). But there are a lot of reasons why I might not have found it.

a) Transcription error
b) Transcription not yet complete
c) Death too early to be recorded
d) Name appears differently on the death certificate
e) The tag is not a reference to the life and death of this individual
f) The death did not occur in an area I expect to find (e.g., happened in another country, tag made its way here)

i.e., not finding it yet means nothing. But believe me I have been looking.

Unless Im reading it wrong, it appears this JoAnn Hall died at birth in 1960. Another dead end. Thanks.

Im glad I didnt call these people and get them upset asking about the infant death.

Correct. This one had severe birth defects and lived for 35-45 minutes in 1960.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have taken everyone's opinions on the lettering seriously and I originally thought almost all the same things, like LeKull, LaHull, etc., but after several years of research and inspection, under magnification, of the engraving strokes, Im convinced its Jo-Ann L. Hall. And I tried to explain the reasons why. The only other possibilities; but its a big maybe, would be Jo-Ann L. Hull or To:-Ann L. Hall. If theres a ligature tie, and thats a big if, the abbreviated word starts with L and ends in an uppercaseH and no word has been suggested that would fit.

I have yet to find a love token with 2 dates

I have yet to find a similar silver urn tag.

I have yet to find a similar coffin tag

I have yet to find a mourning tag with a grave number

I have yet to find a Sweetheart charm with 2 dates so close together.

It has been IDed as all of the above.

I just realized we have a Tag Forum. If I wasn't going out of town, I would post it there. Maybe next Summer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for searching mcl. The virus is worse and it freezes up in several minutes from an overload of Malware.

For some reason, I cant open any programs in safe mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I read through this entire thread this morning, took several hours, but I found it very interesting.

I have two things to contribute from my reading.

1 - The name & dates are hand scribed, noting the differences in the number 3 on the dates.

2 - I'll attach the picture of script from my great great great grandfather's discharge papers from the Union POW camps in 1865 as an example of hand writing at the time:

POW Release.jpg

As for the clashes between people here, it's okay to disagree - but can't we do that with civility? We are all friends here.

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for searching mcl. The virus is worse and it freezes up in several minutes from an overload of Malware.

For some reason, I cant open any programs in safe mode.

Repeat the process selecting "safe mode with networking". If you get the same results, the easiest next step is going to be trying another antivirus software.

Other ideas:

a) Disabling cookies through internal windows internet options dialog
b) Identifying specific cookies and posting them here so we can see if they are tied to a specific type of malware
c) Determining what process the cookie creation is tied to (what is using all the memory/CPU/disk?)
d) Performing some wizardry and deleting the cookie folder, possibly preventing the malware from creating any new cookies (if it is a simple program)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I read through this entire thread this morning, took several hours, but I found it very interesting.

I have two things to contribute from my reading.

1 - The name & dates are hand scribed, noting the differences in the number 3 on the dates.

2 - I'll attach the picture of script from my great great great grandfather's discharge papers from the Union POW camps in 1865 as an example of hand writing at the time:

View attachment 1203130

As for the clashes between people here, it's okay to disagree - but can't we do that with civility? We are all friends here.

Im glad you enjoyed it. Yes its hand engraved.

The clashes occur when someone carries a grudge from one thread to the next with the intention of revenge. There was not much I could do to about it. Thanks for sharing some great historical militaria. I wanted to post my great great grandfathers Civil War discharge papers but I decided not to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Repeat the process selecting "safe mode with networking". If you get the same results, the easiest next step is going to be trying another antivirus software.

Other ideas:

a) Disabling cookies through internal windows internet options dialog
b) Identifying specific cookies and posting them here so we can see if they are tied to a specific type of malware
c) Determining what process the cookie creation is tied to (what is using all the memory/CPU/disk?)
d) Performing some wizardry and deleting the cookie folder, possibly preventing the malware from creating any new cookies (if it is a simple program)

I was able to re-install AVG and get it to work in Safe Mode. I also tried almost every other anti virus versions suggested on the other thread.

Could I have recieved a "revenge virus" through a PM from crispin's friend, like he suggested?

BigCypress,

I just caught this thread. I have not read any of the previous posts. I know there is some new revenge software out there that people who are computer savvy can target others with. Have you made any new enemies or called anybody a troll? If you can figure out who might have sent it to you then that would lead to an identification to help you get rid of it.

Good luck, I had a nasty virus in 1999 that wiped my whole computer. Clicked on a button, fire works went off, and hasta la vista.
Crispin

I dont know if this above comment has any truth to it, but any member that seeks revenge, on another, should be banned from Treasurenet, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread