Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted this here last year, but have yet to positively ID. We have some new members and I could get some new thoughts. It is silver and very THIN like a tag and the size of a quarter. Its hand engraved on the front in Old English copperplate script:

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

There are some official looking numbers on the back: G-1506.

The back is also hand engraved. The numbers may coincide with a US military grave plot but what cemetery?... :dontknow: What century? :dontknow:

Plot G- Row 15- Grave 06? :dontknow:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 5,003
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,731
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,933
  • JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,733

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to re-install AVG and get it to work in Safe Mode. I also tried almost every other anti virus versions suggested on the other thread.

Could I have recieved a "revenge virus" through a PM from crispin's friend, like he suggested?

I dont know if this above comment has any truth to it, but any member that seeks revenge, on another, should be banned from Treasurenet, in my opinion.

I would like to think no one would do that from TNet. I would have to agree with you on that! If done intentionally! I think maybe..... just someone wanting to create doubt or possible fear! :dontknow: Yes, I have a good friend that was good at sending me Emails or pm's with a link. I'd open it? And all kinds of strange stuff would happen. Disk drive pop open even after I would shut it, screen go off etc....he did it as a joke and would come over and fix it. I know I was hit with adware. Not sure if I picked it up on this site or not. NO big deal! I took it out! I had to take it out through extensions and add ons.

hold on....ill pm instead of filling your thread.....lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Old thread here, maybe its best it stays buried and I apologize for my part in any perceived bickering although at the time I felt I did nothing wrong but try to make the proper ID. And I cant help it if they don't like it! Maybe I can get too serious about it and I will try to keep it not so serious from now on.. It looks as if this thread ended when my computer ended back in 2015. But back to the point, I found something that may be a clue, while researching something else, and I wanted to add it to the record.. I ran across this tag that they have IDed as a World War 1 Red Cross dog tag (pics 3 & 4). It has the same 1506 engraved on the backside! My Jo Ann Hall tag (pics 1 & 2) was found at a Navy Seal bombing practice beach site. https://crilearchives.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/ED0427F1-6FD5-43EC-92BE-470815116728

Does 1506 have some special red cross or military meaning? Or is it just pure coincidence?

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

treasure beach finds contrast resize (1).jpg JoAnn L. Hall G-1506.jpg

JoAnn Hall Red Cross tag.jpg JoAnn Hall Red Cross.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool BCH! I'm thinking the coffin tag to be about right. You know the ferocious hurricanes we've had in the last 50 yrs
have washed out graves throughout the southeastern low country. The encrustation may indicate an earlier date but could also
have been the ground minerals before it was washed away.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll just throw this out there...

The "1506" might mean the diameter is 15mm and the thickness is 6mm.
That is after all how they size coin cell batteries, such as the popular CR2032.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Very cool BCH! I'm thinking the coffin tag to be about right. You know the ferocious hurricanes we've had in the last 50 yrs
have washed out graves throughout the southeastern low country. The encrustation may indicate an earlier date but could also
have been the ground minerals before it was washed away.

I thought G for gravesite #1506

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Bch, I searched ancestry.com and couldn't get a relative hit. Jo-ann, Joann, Joanne Fla and adjacent states and even nationwide, no hits. I've reconsidered the coffin tag idea because it would likely have 2 screw holes instead of one. Perhaps a keepsake worn on a leather cord? Could it be dated by the style of block lettering in the G1506?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'll just throw this out there...

The "1506" might mean the diameter is 15mm and the thickness is 6mm.
That is after all how they size coin cell batteries, such as the popular CR2032.

The diameter is 24.26 mm. The thickness would be about 0.6 mm maybe. Its quite thin. If made from a coin, it would be shaved thin but I see no reason to take the time to hand engrave the dimensions on the token. I believe the numbers definitely have meaning but I dont know what. Its not machine stamped

jo Ann Hall tag (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If made from a coin, it would be shaved thin but I see no reason to take the time to hand engrave the demensions on the token. I believe the numbers definitely have meaning but I dont know what. Its not machine stamped

It looks stamped.
Notice the offset one ... and the rectangular stress marks, especially seen around the five.

IMO ... this side was pressed .

Offset2.jpg

Offset numbers.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Greetings Bch, I searched ancestry.com and couldn't get a relative hit. Jo-ann, Joann, Joanne Fla and adjacent states and even nationwide, no hits. I've reconsidered the coffin tag idea because it would likely have 2 screw holes instead of one. Perhaps a keepsake worn on a leather cord? Could it be dated by the style of block lettering in the G1506?

I found this same hand engraved style of block lettering on an 1893 love token brooch. It jumped out at me when I saw it. I can see the same hand strokes and pointed ends under magnification. The R on the love token took 7 individual change of direction strokes. The 5 on my token took 8 change of direction strokes.

love token jo ann hall.jpg love token.jpg treasure beach finds zoom back engraving (2).jpg Offset2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It looks stamped.
Notice the offset one ... and the rectangular stress marks, especially seen around the five.

IMO ... this side was presse

Do you see this token as stamped too? Just asking. Blow it up if you need to see it better. What do you mean by rectangular stress marks? I think the "offset" letter is over influencing some people. Letters are not always perfectly inline with engraving either. Notice how the lettering comes to a point on the corners from the engraving tool? (see my post above) I guess the engraving is not obvious to everybody and may not be apparent in my photos but I can clearly see it under magnification. The token below left is a very good example of the same block letters and they are not stamped. (The second pic right are machine stamped tokens). I will look for a better example for comparison. Thanks for looking.

love token jo ann hall.jpg token machine stamped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH, IMO it is a noble thing to make an effort to return the tag to a family member. I haven't read all the posts but do know that some genealogy research has been done and posted here. While I am an amateur at best, I do know a lot of genealogy records have yet to be indexed and thus not found by a search engine, only by human eye going through an image of each page line-by-line. The good news is, many book images are on-line. The bad news is I think you need to know a locale where she or a relative lived. Also, the eye strain can be overwhelming. Probably someone has already mentioned this, but consider posting on the genealogy page - as someone may have better news. Good luck!

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a cremation tag ?

Upvote 0

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an idea here . Have you tried any searches on one of the genealogy sites? You would be amazed at some of the information you can track down. There is one In particular I have had good luck with and it's free wikitree. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Sandy1devotee369

Feb 10, 2022
I posted this here last year, but have yet to positively ID. We have some new members and I could get some new thoughts. It is silver and very THIN like a tag and the size of a quarter. Its hand engraved on the front in Old English copperplate script:

Jo-Ann L. Hall
12-30-43--1-2-44

There are some official looking numbers on the back: G-1506.

The back is also hand engraved. The numbers may coincide with a US military grave plot but what cemetery?... :dontknow: What century? :dontknow:

Plot G- Row 15- Grave 06? :dontknow:
The only thing similar that I have personally come across was related to the Masons it looked similar but different. It was a very old property marker with a G in the center also with numbers but related to its location.

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it possibly be a like a rememberence type bracelet ?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Could it possibly be a like a rememberence type bracelet ?
Sorry I have not posted in a while. Yes I think its possible a remembrance tag or love token lost on the beach but the numbers on the backside seem odd for that unless its a cemetery grave number.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just an idea here . Have you tried any searches on one of the genealogy sites? You would be amazed at some of the information you can track down. There is one In particular I have had good luck with and it's free wikitree. Good luck.
Yea some of us tried searching and we cant find a match.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I have not posted in a while. Yes I think its possible a remembrance tag lost on the beach but the numbers on the backside seem odd for that unless its a cemetery grave number.
Great to see you back here again Big C.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions