Sheesh, the competition is getting fierce out here!

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
So I head out tonight, since the temp is only 90f after sunset and not the 108f it was during the day.

I hit a little park nearby, trash.

I go for a more distant little park, nada.

I hit the 4 volleyball courts at the community college nearby and find a quarter and a big chunk of steel. Along with finding 3 soda cans that were partially dug and the holes left in the sand.

Another detector in my digs is fine, but damn does he have to leave messes after himself? :?

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know the feeling! Once me and a friend were detecting along a string of beaches, and we found we were following a pair of other hunters who had discriminated against all the pennies. So we found lots of pennies and trash, and little else. :evil: I think these were the same guys who were hunting all night before the morning I found my Rolex-- Maybe I only found it because it sounded off in the penny range. They would have discriminated it out.

So I got my 'Even Stevens'. :twisted:

Its also true I don't carry off all the aluminum cans I find-- not enough room in my pouch. I'll pick up the tabs, though. The cans I dig up and leave out on the surface so recyclers can claim them, or the beach cleaning crew can pick them up.

And competition is on the rise everywhere, I think. Wednesday I went back to the beach where I found the heavy gold chain on Memorial day, and only found $1 in change for an hour hunt. Compare that to $11 in 2.5 hours from Monday night, and it's pretty obvious the beach had been scoured. I don't think I could have done THAT good a job by myself!

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Heh

Wish I could hunt a beach nearby, but that's kinda tough in a desert :)

I bought a sand scoop recently and it's sure not quite what I expected. I do alot of playground and volleyball court scouring, but the sand is so dusty I get a big cloud just from sifting one scoop :?

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
I am expecting a lot of competition in my area as well. When I checked on the status of the shipment of my new Whites GMT Goldmaster I was told by the dealer that he had sold 6 machines in just the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the other new owners are less capable than I.if thats possible.lol Fred

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One more reason to get the absolute best unit you can afford! Good discrimination might mean you're missing some prizes, but it can also increase your efficiency.

And just for fun, here's what I picked up today:

61de.imagea.jpg

and a close-up:

61de.imageb.jpg

The 'medallion' is just brass, and very thin. The ring is .925 with a 'Dead Head' design. The bracelet doesn't have any silver in it, but the gemstone chips are fairly nice. $2+ in change and a few lead sinkers round it out.

I also picked up a lot of trash, including a really deeply buried battery-- these kill fish from the chemicals that form.

And yes, I like digging beaches, except for the trash. Sometimes its like visiting a landfill.

And, FYI, I've heard of some people making great finds in the desert, so don't be fooled! One fellow found an 1850's dime in AU condition. I forget the date. He sold it 'sight unseen' for upwards of $75. :shock: And another fellow found no less than 84 Spanish 8-reales cob coins in New Mexico somewhere. :o Some research might pay off.

:idea: If the dust through the sand scoop is too much of a problem, try using a spray bottle before you dig. Maybe that will help?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's those damn White's commercials that are ruining it for all of us!! evil
Now every nimrod who see's me on the beach say's "yeah, I saw that commercial where the guy finds the ring, do you find alot out here?". Just remember, always say "naw, just a bunch of pennies and these crappy old flip tabs". It's the best way to turn folks off who want to be competition for MY beach.
As far as you Leviathan, talk with slimpickens, he used to live in AZ and must know of tons of old mines where you can go. Don't let that weather get you down. After all, it's just heat twisted . Might consider buying one of those spray bottle backpacks with the mister on it. Then you can hunt even in hot weather.
As far as schools go, you won't find alot there except some small change and an occasional kids ring. Take advantage of your surroundings! You live in a state where there are tons of old mines. Buy a book on old mines in AZ and start going to some of them. As lab Rat said, there are tons of great sites that will yield you lots of stuff in the desert. Generally it is in great condition because it doesn't get rained on (no corrosion).
Try the edges of old roads, the edges of old railroad tracks, mine areas, etc. You have to do the research in the library or on the net and talk with the old cronies sitting in front of the local market. There were also alot of Civil war troop sites where troops moved and camped in AZ. Good luck,
maybe you can invent a "boy in a bubble air conditioned suit" for detecting in the heat wink

Attachments

• Dennis' 005.jpg
    Dennis' 005.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 113

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot one thing. This year I am concentrating on picking up more cans. I usuall try and pick up at least two or three on my way back. If you get some with some sand in them, they run up a greater amount at the recycler. I talked with a bagger guy at the beach who carries his detecter (and hunts) between trash cans. He says he makes about $1500.00 a year on coins and about $6000.00 a year on cans (although he looks and smells like crap from digging in trash cans all day). But if you pick up a few each time you go hunting, each can is like finding three to five zinc pennies. I also save all of the various valueable metals including brass, copper, aluminum, fip tab, and lead that I find. I am going to list four oar locks I found over time on ebay. I figure these should bring $20 after I polished them up. Remember, all of this adds up to $$$$. Don't throw it out. If you save it long enough, you can buy yourself a new detector or a nice gold coin or something like that just for your troubles. I am shooting for a Cadillac X-callade!! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread