Shiny Silver Rock Found At The Beach

Tomer

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my name is Tomer, I'm new to the site and I'm in need of your help.

My sister found this strange rock at the beach (in Israel) and ever since we've been intrigued about it.
It's a shiny silver rock and we don't know much about it, we just know that it melts cold ice cubes as you put them on the rock (see video) and we tested it with an Avometer and it shows that it has a certain current and a magnetic field.
We sent it to some professors and science research institutes and none of them had a clear answer about what it is exactly.

IMG_7716.JPG IMG_7719.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tomer

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone dropped the R Bomb (radiation); now how many where thinking that and did not say it?

Uranium washing up on a beach; I would start with blaming Turkey, we know how they are about not declaring thing with customs.

But to answer that, who knows why that would wash up, I have a beach house in Italy and we too have some odd stuff wash up, especially during our winter months. Way down south they keep having an issue with Africans washing up by the boat load. In summer months the number one thing that washes up at our beach house are tenders like dingy boats Zodiac or Bombard, those people with the small boats just tug them behind, no idea why the wash up right in front of my house though.

Tell me something, now keep in mind I am only asking because to me you have already done some things with a stone I would have never thought of doing. How does it taste?

You know, if you where from where I am from, then you would have drilled a hole through it already and hung from your review mirror, naturally passing it down to your kids later on.

How much does it weigh, does it weight to size seem about right or just off in either direction. Specific Gravity test maybe.

Just spit balling really.

Well I didn't taste it after all of you guys writing it may be emitting radiation or something, but I smelled it and it smelled like nothing.. Was thinking, maybe it's just a chunk of silver? Did some searching and saw that silver melts ice quickly and isn't magnetic. Oh and it didn't jam my radio/TV signal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tomer

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a video of you cracking it, you're story is full of plot holes.

What do you mean it's full of holes? By the way saw your threads and I just did the streaktest on some porcelain and the color was like the rock, silver and sparkly.

Upvote 0

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some rocks that are related to uranium that emit radiation.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tomer

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, just posting a video for you to see of the current test we did.

Upvote 0

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Native Silicon or some sort of Iron ore like Metallic Hematite?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not radio active :) And its not uranium. It has some thermo conductivity, thats why it melts ice, and is metalic so this is to be expected~ testing with ice is not a test really.
Your "current test" is whats called a resistance test in my trade and the values are between 500 ohms, .5k ohm, and 2.5k ohm so its conductive.
Try a scratch test and when you do see if you smell anything like a struck match, sulfur, and look at whether the material from the streak is crumbly or smooth. I suspect its a pyrite.

Upvote 0

WesEast

Jun 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly Molybdenite Crystal or Galena Mineral Crystal

I'm about 98% sure of nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have suggested, your specimen looks a lot like galena
Galena.jpg
Or graphite
Graphite.jpg
Both of these minerals are fairly soft (Mohs' hardness of 1 and 2.5 respectively). I don't like using a "cut" test, because often times the force that you apply can affect how well the mineral is cut, regardless of its composition. Instead, try using a scratch test. If the surface of mineral can be scratched by a copper coin, then it could possibly be either of these minerals. If the surface can be scratched by your fingernail, then it is very likely graphite.
Mohs.jpg

Another easy test is seeing if your mineral is magnetic. If the mineral attracts a magnet, it could potentially be hematite. You can further test this by seeing what streak the mineral will leave when rubbed against a white tile. Hematite will leave a distinctive reddish brown streak.
Hematite.jpg

Upvote 0

Waffle God

Oct 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“As others have suggested, your specimen looks a lot like galena”

I believe I have a much smaller portion of the rock that started this thread, but it’s way to light to have very much lead in it, and I don’t think it’s soft enough to be graphite.

64F5C80F-3D59-43C1-BE04-732F6E3F34C5.jpeg

Attachments

• 64F5C80F-3D59-43C1-BE04-732F6E3F34C5.jpeg
    64F5C80F-3D59-43C1-BE04-732F6E3F34C5.jpeg
    932.6 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

Bry n gin

Feb 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
Other
hi guys Bry n gin we are new to group but the crazy thing is we have the exact same rock! and we can't figure out what it is either. does anyone know if tomer ever found out what it was? if anyone knows anything about it please let us know we are going crazy trying to figure it out thanks Bry n gin

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, did you do any of the tests mentioned in this thread so far? and where did you find it?

Upvote 0

Planko

Oct 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it float or sink in water? Have you tried something like vinegar on it to see if it dissolves any? What does it smell like?

Upvote 0

Kinley

Nov 28, 2021

My sister found this strange rock at the beach (in Israel) and ever since we've been intrigued about it.
It's a shiny silver rock and we don't know much about it, we just know that it melts cold ice cubes as you put them on the rock (see video) and we tested it with an Avometer and it shows that it has a certain current and a magnetic field.
We sent it to some professors and science research institutes and none of them had a clear answer about what it is exactly.

View attachment 1457147 View attachment 1457148

I found this same thing! We had it looked at, and the results were that it is silicon. It is used to make computer mother boards! Don't worry about radiation or any of that. With a piece that big you may be able to sell it for 15-20$.

Upvote 1

BootlegNasty

May 15, 2022

View attachment 1457147 View attachment 1457148

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking graphite, it has one of the highest thermal conductivity so just the heat from holding it is probably melting the ice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread