Ship, Gold Coins found at Destin, Fla - from July 22, 1968 Newspaper Article

blovelock

Nov 10, 2004
Playground Daily News
Monday, July 22, 1968

Newspaper Text: Ship, Gold Coins Found at DESTIN OLD PASS. Star marks the spot where dredge operator Bill McFarland states he hit the wreck of an old ship while digging canals for homesites at HOLIDAY Isle. Old maps show that the entrance to Choctawhatchee Bay was at one time in this area. He reported the wreckage was under about 20'feet of sand when he hit it. (Map by Adrian Young)

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Lan... in 1960's&img=\\na0021\2868224\14897752.html

I was in high school at this time and Holiday Isles across from Destin Harbor was undeveloped except for a long, lonely stretch of road and a couple of beach houses. Bill McFarland was operating the dredge by himself during the winter of 1967 and 1968. He was cutting three separate canals through the islands sand and connecting them to Destin Harbor. These were for the condominiums and waterfront houses that were soon to come, although as kids we didn't realize how big an event that would eventually become at the time. The dredge was owned by a man named Rukesteli who happened to be the uncle of a friend of mine. In July, word leaked out that McFarland had found "Three gold coins" over the winter months while he had been operating the dredge. The sand that was dredged up was spread over a large area and eventually homes and condos would be built on it, but in 1968 it was bare sand. Two of my friends including the one whose uncle owned the dredge, scraped their money together and purchased an old military surplus metal detector. One would wear the headphones while the other one scanned with the metal detector. We went at night so nobody would bother us. I remember walking behind my friends carrying a flashlight while they searched with the detector up ahead of me. They never found anything with the detector, but I managed to pick up a really neat, curved, square bodied spike. It was made of a bronze alloy according to people I showed it to that I thought might know. I kept it in my possession until I traveled overseas in 1990 and then I lost track of it. It was kind of a good luck charm for me.

We only tried out the metal detecting session on that one occasion. I think my friends figured out the metal detector didn't work properly or maybe they just didn't know how to use it. We did however go snorkeling a few times in the canal where the ship was discovered. The water in Destin Harbor was much cleaner back in those days, but the area where the ship was, was cloudy with silt, so visibility was about zero. We could still feel the huge wooden beams of the ship with our hands as they had been well-preserved buried under the sand. If I remember correctly, the wreck was dated to about 1536 by the "Three coins" that McFarland had found. Soon after word leaked out in the paper about the wreck, Bill McFarland quit the dredge and bought a nightclub. Not being a businessman, I think he went broke within a few months and ended up losing the nightclub.

As far as I know, that ship is still in that canal buried under the sand. No one ever did any kind of proper archeological assessment of what remained of the ship that I am aware of. To find it today, you would probably have to dive under a few million-dollar yachts to re-locate it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20210919-225242_Maps.jpg
I've been looking from google....point us to the canal Blovelock great story...shouldn't be hard to find...probably covered in sand and still there !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor landing canal looks like the best canidate...at its dead end it is the closest canal to the beach/ocean. It also has a large sand bar in its dead end section. A ships bones could really be there under the sand. Also if the sand was spread out around the property then there is alot of area around that canal to search...shouldn't be hard to get permission, just a big sand parking area !!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor landing canal looks like the best canidate...at its dead end it is the closest canal to the beach/ocean. It also has a large sand bar in its dead end section. A ships bones could really be there under the sand. Also if the sand was spread out around the property then there is alot of area around that canal to search...shouldn't be hard to get permission, just a big sand parking area !!
It could be under any of the houses and property where the three canals were cut for the homes boat access. If I had my guess I would say its under one of those three sets of properties. The article said the dredger was cutting three canals for waterfront homes.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to find it unless a hurricane rips that whole area out and move all the buildings out of the way!

When I was down there diving a few weeks ago I was looking towards that area and thought, "Man, I wish I was around and diving back in the day before all that got built up!" Of course That was way before my time so that makes me crap out of luck!

TonyK

Jan 4, 2021
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt GA-72, Geometrix G-858, Geophex GEM-2, Geonix EM-31, S&S Noggin 100 & 250 MHz GPR, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playground Daily News
Monday, July 22, 1968

Newspaper Text: Ship, Gold Coins Found at DESTIN OLD PASS. Star marks the spot where dredge operator Bill McFarland states he hit the wreck of an old ship while digging canals for homesites at HOLIDAY Isle. Old maps show that the entrance to Choctawhatchee Bay was at one time in this area. He reported the wreckage was under about 20'feet of sand when he hit it. (Map by Adrian Young)

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/LandingPage.aspx?type=glp&search=dredging destin holiday isles in 1960's&img=\\na0021\2868224\14897752.html

I was in high school at this time and Holiday Isles across from Destin Harbor was undeveloped except for a long, lonely stretch of road and a couple of beach houses. Bill McFarland was operating the dredge by himself during the winter of 1967 and 1968. He was cutting three separate canals through the islands sand and connecting them to Destin Harbor. These were for the condominiums and waterfront houses that were soon to come, although as kids we didn't realize how big an event that would eventually become at the time. The dredge was owned by a man named Rukesteli who happened to be the uncle of a friend of mine. In July, word leaked out that McFarland had found "Three gold coins" over the winter months while he had been operating the dredge. The sand that was dredged up was spread over a large area and eventually homes and condos would be built on it, but in 1968 it was bare sand. Two of my friends including the one whose uncle owned the dredge, scraped their money together and purchased an old military surplus metal detector. One would wear the headphones while the other one scanned with the metal detector. We went at night so nobody would bother us. I remember walking behind my friends carrying a flashlight while they searched with the detector up ahead of me. They never found anything with the detector, but I managed to pick up a really neat, curved, square bodied spike. It was made of a bronze alloy according to people I showed it to that I thought might know. I kept it in my possession until I traveled overseas in 1990 and then I lost track of it. It was kind of a good luck charm for me.

We only tried out the metal detecting session on that one occasion. I think my friends figured out the metal detector didn't work properly or maybe they just didn't know how to use it. We did however go snorkeling a few times in the canal where the ship was discovered. The water in Destin Harbor was much cleaner back in those days, but the area where the ship was, was cloudy with silt, so visibility was about zero. We could still feel the huge wooden beams of the ship with our hands as they had been well-preserved buried under the sand. If I remember correctly, the wreck was dated to about 1536 by the "Three coins" that McFarland had found. Soon after word leaked out in the paper about the wreck, Bill McFarland quit the dredge and bought a nightclub. Not being a businessman, I think he went broke within a few months and ended up losing the nightclub.

As far as I know, that ship is still in that canal buried under the sand. No one ever did any kind of proper archeological assessment of what remained of the ship that I am aware of. To find it today, you would probably have to dive under a few million-dollar yachts to re-locate it.
Interesting read. I lived in that area while working for the government from mid 80s to late 90s. I was always curious about what artifacts could be found around the bay and in the sound between the island and mainland. Billy Bowlegs festivals were always fun, and the history of that pirate in those waters always intrigued me. I wasn't detecting for recreation back then, but did find some nice Lower Creek points and pottery along the shoreline of the bay. One of the archaeologists I occasionally worked with dated on of my pieces around 1200 AD. If I ever go back to visit, I will certainly be toting some instruments.

The UWF Marine Archaeology program may be interested in this wreck. From what I read from one of their alumni publications, they are a relatively new department but have located several shipwrecks around the Pensacola area.

If you have a photo of that bronze spike, I would be interested in seeing a photo. I live on the Oregon coast now, and am finding lots of spikes and nails, and would like to see more similar finds on this site. One of my pins is nearly identical to what was found and published from the Queen Anne's Revenge wreck, but I don't know how to relate that piece and era to what I have found. I'm just a geophysical nut and not an archaeologist.

I enjoyed the read. Good luck in your search!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions