CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was just another outing digging clad when suddenly ! Had a very good sounding signal and pried open the ground with the screwdriver and stuck my fingers in the dirt and fished out a golden looking shiny with an Eagle on it, "SHOCKER" ! Flipped it over to see writing on the other side, wow !! This took my breath away for a bit and then realized I needed to check the hole for more signal. Oh my detector is still going off ! Stuck pro-pointer back in to locate inside hole and then pried out more dirt and boom I have found a bar complete with brass pin still on its back! Then I tried pro-pointer again and it went off pulled out some more dirt and lost the signal looked and then spread dirt out and finally got signal from pointer again, looking and cannot see anything and so nudged all the dirt around with pointer getting good steady sound inside a dirt clod there is a small golden leaf that looks like black hills gold with two sharp pins sprouting out its back ! Oh what fun ! On checking the hole with main detector no more signal, at least I got it all and am very happy with this find !! After so many ordinary hunts an extraordinary one is much appreciated !

10_25_2014 military medal front.jpg 10_25_2014 military medal rear edited.jpg

What time period is this medal from ? Any info appreciated, "Thanks In Advance" =)

Hope you have an exceptional hunt experience too !

Upvote 11

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I see the WWII era US Navy and Marine Commendation medal and the Vietnam era Army Merit medal both used those. Difference was in the ribbon. That's just from a quick look at Google, I know next to nothing about militaria of this sort. There are probably differences that somebody that knows what they are looking for can tell.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Military items are always welcome in my display cases.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. I see the WWII era US Navy and Marine Commendation medal and the Vietnam era Army Merit medal both used those. Difference was in the ribbon. That's just from a quick look at Google, I know next to nothing about militaria of this sort. There are probably differences that somebody that knows what they are looking for can tell.

It looks like they stopped giving out this medal in 1960 according to one web site. Too bad the cloth is gone 40 years evidently is enough time for complete disintegration.

Great find. Military items are always welcome in my display cases.

Thanks far better than a few clad quarters a medal has some history behind it.

Found a bit on the web on the medal. Army Commendation Medal

The little pin is a Bronze Oak leaf cluster and is another award that seems equivalent to the medal itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_leaf_cluster

Thanks for the all the replies !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonderful find. I'm glad you also recovered the oak leaf cluster that was on the ribbon

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That's a pleasant surprise! Glad you were able to get it all. Great save!
Was it found at a house site ? You have a chance of finding the history behind it.
I know what you mean about clad, I find the trash more interesting!

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs.

Thanks Dig =)

wonderful find. I'm glad you also recovered the oak leaf cluster that was on the ribbon

Hi jewelerguy Thanks , wasn't easy but was worth the time !

Congrats! That's a pleasant surprise! Glad you were able to get it all. Great save!
Was it found at a house site ? You have a chance of finding the history behind it.
I know what you mean about clad, I find the trash more interesting!

Hi Msbeep thanks Sis ! It is not a house site. So not much chance for finding out history that way. Is a public area. Don't know how I missed a signal like that earlier have been over that area of yard many times before. So possibly came in with some fill dirt, there was like ten piles of dirt in the backside of the area and there has been some landscaping work done on the yard. Tried the guys name in searches and did not find anything solid on Internet except a name written into someone else's obituary as having been deceased before the relation.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got around to cleaning the medal and parts. Heres a photo with traces of the ribbon showing on the bar and the Oak leaf cluster !

10_25_2014 military medal ribbon traces.jpg
This removes any doubts about the parts belonging together in my mind =)

treasuretom

Greenie
Sep 21, 2014
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a name under the blurred out part on the medal? Be cool if you could find recipient or his family if he is deceased.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a name under the blurred out part on the medal? Be cool if you could find recipient or his family if he is deceased.

Yes there is but haven't been able to find any real info on him. Spent 4 hours or so last night going through searches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread