Shopping for begginer detector

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a hundred dollar bounty hunter that can go in wet salt sand and the ocean water with no problem. just discriminate the iron out which may make you lose gold rings but hey you can find the coins.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dimedigger said:
i have a hundred dollar bounty hunter that can go in wet salt sand and the ocean water with no problem. just discriminate the iron out which may make you lose gold rings but hey you can find the coins.

Which model is it?

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still interested in finding out about bounty hunters but I think I'm going with the Coinmaster GT. After all I've been reading it sounds like it should do fine on dry sand and I've read pretty much the same mixed reviews for wet sand that I read with all the other machine I've looked at that cost a lot more.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recall now if it's the Coinmaster Pro or GT that is the latest one. The latest one has exactly the same specs as the Prizim 6T which includes a "Beach Mode". I have the 6T and took it 2 weeks ago to the So. Cal beach and it did much better than I expected. It doesn't do well crossing from wet to dry sand. You're best to let it ground balance and then remain either in the wet or dry...working along the beach rather than up and down from the water.

I'm very happy with the 6T but when they discontinued it and replaced it with the Coinmaster either Pro or GT, they lowered the price $300 immediately devaluing mine. It was a good maching at $600 and an even better one at $300.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phanntom said:
I can't recall now if it's the Coinmaster Pro or GT that is the latest one. The latest one has exactly the same specs as the Prizim 6T which includes a "Beach Mode". I have the 6T and took it 2 weeks ago to the So. Cal beach and it did much better than I expected. It doesn't do well crossing from wet to dry sand. You're best to let it ground balance and then remain either in the wet or dry...working along the beach rather than up and down from the water.

I'm very happy with the 6T but when they discontinued it and replaced it with the Coinmaster either Pro or GT, they lowered the price $300 immediately devaluing mine. It was a good maching at $600 and an even better one at $300.

From what I read its the GT that replaced the Prizm. Are you able to use the Prizm in the water? It isn't really a big deal if I can't I'm just curious.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I read its the GT that replaced the Prizm. Are you able to use the Prizm in the water? It isn't really a big deal if I can't I'm just curious.

All coils are waterproof, so you can use any metal tecter in the water, as long as you dont drop the brain box into the drink.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
All coils are waterproof, so you can use any metal tecter in the water, as long as you dont drop the brain box into the drink.

I spoke to someone with Whites today and they told me the GT should work fine on dry sand and ok on wet sand. So they referred to a place near me and if I get my check this week I'm going there on Saturday for a demo and probably buy one.

OP
OP
N

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up going with the Coinmaster GT. I just put it together ran it by a couple silver coins I have and I'm going to hunt my backyard when the snow melts.

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter and I love it. I was at the beach yesterday, and did the dry sand, and some wet sand as the tide went out. I found coins, broken spoons, wire etc, up to about 4 inches in the wet sand, with no chatter. I also found a 1956 quarter, and a 1918 penny in the dry sand. I think outside of the box when detecting. I did the dry beach sand and wet when the tide went out, but I also went into the parking lot, and did the narrow curb sections between the driveways and parking stalls (there like five feet wide) where I was all alone because no one else does those areas. Thats where I found the silver quarter and 1918 penny. The beach I went to is hammered by MD'ers, so I know if I can find silver and a 95 year old penny both only 2 inches deep, then no one else is detecting there. My Bounty Hunter finds coins up to 7 inches deep in parks and 3-4 inches in wet sand. No too bad I would say, and it cost me $110.00 used at the swap meet. It discriminates, and has different tones for different coins and metals. If you get the Bounty Hunter, remember, the nickel, pull tab signal is the same signal for GOLD. Good luck.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, welcome to the club! H Digs :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread