Short Morning Hunt Silver brooch and Very Strange Hair Pin??

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little free time this morning. Went to a dirt road dating to early 1700's. Found these items pretty quickly. The road is usually lined with high brush on either side. Town used a brush remover on both sides about 20ft wide. Area that impossible to detect is now wide open. Lots of roots but that's ok. There is a Silver brooch with colored enamel flowers. Still lots of dirt. I will clean it and repost it later. Small tombac button. A small decorated item which might have been a pin of sorts. Last is what I pulled out of the hole and thought what the heck is this thing? Highly Decorated bulb on a long wire? You can see signs of Gold leafing. When I got back I showed it to my wife. She thought it might be a hair pin. Anybody find something like this? Look forward to hearing. Thanks Bill

attached image of the hat pin cleaned. Much better.

Attachments

• mf 1.jpg
    mf 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 125
  • morning find 2.jpg
    morning find 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 75
  • mf 3.jpg
    mf 3.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 82
  • larger pic.jpg
    larger pic.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 89
  • pin cleaned.jpg
    pin cleaned.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cudamark. Looks like a ladies hat pin. The older ones are about 5 to 8 inches long and can have very decorative end pieces.

Nice finds, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
The pin end looks broken and ruff. Probably was a bit longer. I will be near the spot today and recheck. Thanks!

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see the local DPW doing something useful!

I think your wife is correct. That's a hair pin. I have found several such pins over the years. Some ( like yours ) are quite ornate. Well done.
I cleaned the pin. Looks much better now. Must have been fancy for the time.

Attachments

• pin cleaned.jpg
    pin cleaned.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 20

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little free time this morning. Went to a dirt road dating to early 1700's. Found these items pretty quickly. The road is usually lined with high brush on either side. Town used a brush remover on both sides about 20ft wide. Area that impossible to detect is now wide open. Lots of roots but that's ok. There is a Silver brooch with colored enamel flowers. Still lots of dirt. I will clean it and repost it later. Small tombac button. A small decorated item which might have been a pin of sorts. Last is what I pulled out of the hole and thought what the heck is this thing? Highly Decorated bulb on a long wire? You can see signs of Gold leafing. When I got back I showed it to my wife. She thought it might be a hair pin. Anybody find something like this? Look forward to hearing. Thanks Bill

attached image of the hat pin cleaned. Much better.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions